Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hehehehe. He's probably working lots... or been fired. Silly boy biggrin

I'll drive down in the afternoon then... but have to go out to the airport for 8.30.

heheheheh biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i have not been fired tongue

i am at home sick ubbcrying

its funny that the only reason i miss work is because i cant go go hop all day. ubblol

im out all week, maybe next week too. no more spinning for this ado-p for another month or two at least.

so says my resident physio therapist. *waves from steph*

so i'll see you guys in dublin on saturday night. though i shall be without stick.

does anyone have a contact ball i can borrow?

smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Jeez... are you serious?! eek

Awww. that sucks. Y'see, Dec... learn from this. Over-enthusiasm is bad for you ubblol

Aidan, my friend tony is coming over from England... he's ok, but not great, at staff... do you have any older fire sticks you can bring that you don't mind if they get a bit bent?

Hope you're feeling better soon hug

It's always good to have a physio around biggrin Tell Steph I said hellos and I hope she's having a marvellous time

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
done, she's cooking up a lasange as i type. and homemade apple pie to boot bounce2

no worries about the stick. i've got just the job handy.

i reckon im gonna bring up all my sticks and give them to dec for a while. its a but torturing having them lying around.

still cant wait to come to dublin though

smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... thank you mister...

Well done Miss Steph... apple pie indeed biggrin

See you Friday

xx

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Jealous - want to meet up with ye all and play with fire devil

So...when is anyone going to upload some pics to the photos section of the fireland list so i can see what i've been missing? i need evidence, or i may start to believe that you're all making it up just to seem like you're having more fun than i am! (Which you're not, by the way, i'm still managing the jugglers rest in Picton, NZ, learning double staff (slowly) and having a blast. Burnt some hair last night though frown )

Take care everyone, and hellos to all the newbies that i haven't met yet wavehello

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I am really sorry to hear bout ado-p forced injury break but i refuse to believe that it was over enthusiasm that brought it on. smile

Aidan, Aslong as your back for edinburgh then its all good but its good to see you been smart and taking advantage of being sick!!

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Helen... I'm really glad you're having a great time... I saw the Jugglers Rest as I sailed past on a bus when I was there... not quite the same, I know biggrin

Make sure you make it down the west though!!

Take care, see you all tomorrow
xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

i reckon im gonna bring up all my sticks and give them to dec for a while.

ubblol

yeh, and slip in a sneaky spin on saturday nite ubblol

you can film, i'm bringing my camcorder biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
how's it going Helen? good by the sounds of it. and no, of course your not having more fun than us here on god's green acre, bbrrrrrrr........ rolleyes

'tis quite chilly, but i have made offerings to the weather gods that they may bestow good fortune upon us on saturday nite. (i.e. if it pisses rain then perhaps i'll win the lotto and join you in the antipides biggrin)

doubles are taking off everywhere at the mo, big-time. i have everyone at the ucd juggling club hooked already ubbrollsmile

take care, and have lots and lots of fun fun fun!!

peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Scuse me. Doubles are only taking off for those who have turned to the dark side...

Others are remaining pure and loyal to poi.

Ahem, yet others are being really frickin lazy and not practicing at all biggrin

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
im sure we can get him to do one last spin. he also has some ideas to some and teach me so he'll be pretty immersed in staff ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
One last spin? Is that like going to the pub for one pint?!!

ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
no spinning for this do-pee

happy to lend and a helping hand though smile

and i can skin up

biggrin

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhhh. Ok then. You can come tongue

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

no spinning for this do-pee

happy to lend and a helping hand though smile

and i can skin up

biggrin

you can be the official skinner upper, and minderer, and keep sketcher, if the law is about wink

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
big warm thank you to everyone who showed up on friday and saturday nite, in the freezing cold...... brrrrrrrr......

we managed to collect over €650 on friday nite for the Chernobyl children's charity that kelly and his band are going over to next month! well done all clap

and congrats to Cloudscape on his first burn! woohoo! clap

and thanks Fear-Tine for all your efforts hug hope we didn't leave your flat in too much of a mess redface

2 great nites indeed!!

grouphug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
my place was fine i just dont know what to do with the balloon animals. Didnt make any effort really. Thanks everyone for coming. it was a great night and hope everybody had good fun. hug

i will however be wearing a protective cup next time ado-p is practising new moves!!ubbloco

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
All I can say is I'm officially hooked.

Thanks a million for making it so easy first time, I'm already looking forward to doing it again.

Cheers again, Darrell.

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done Darrell... your first spin was excellent. Hope you enjoyed it biggrin

And congrats to Lisa and Dec for all the organising... good work lads hug

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hope you all had a great time... I had to get off my student bum and get a job and so couldnt get the time off work (I hate my job....) But im gonna be in Cork 16th 17th and 18th of March if anyones up for a wee fire session.....

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Finally managed to get a day off to get to the Cork juggly meet next tuesday, is there any twirlyness planned for monday/tuesday?
Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey ronan

do you know your way up to the cork circus?

i think i pm'd you my number, give me a shout monday evening...

smile

a

Love is the law.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
Written by: tainted

Cork 16th 17th and 18th of March if anyones up for a wee fire session.....

i'd love to, i may be a little hung over, but a spin sounds like fun. only not the 16th - thats the day i finish college (party!!!!) yeay.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I might be able to make it to cork that weekend for a spin.maybe not the 18th though.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hee hee! i might take the 18th off work and come down too.

yes, i think that's a great idea. paddy's day in cork with GREEN FLAMES bounce

we're planning on camping out at tara (weather permitting) on the the 19th though, don't forget that one ubbrollsmile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
how far is it from cork to tara?

come on you lot. my floor is yours.

lisa, bring the iron...

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there... yeah, thanks Lisa...

For those who don't know, I'm leaving Ireland at the end of March... and the last weekend I could meet up with everyone is the 18/19/20.

We were having a chat at the weekend, and we were talking about meeting up in either Dublin, or maybe Tara... and hopefully getting some video footage put together.

The COL video has to be in by the end of June and with editing, music and suchlike, so I don't know if people are still interested in that.

If you're in Cork, then that's cool, don't worry about it. Just let me know who's going to be around.

Thanks, Clare x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i suggest cork AND tara for those of you who are adventurous/brave wink enough....

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm not going to Cork, and I think it would be too much for people to travel between the two in a day, and then spin. But is up to yourselves.

Page: ......