Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Thanks Lisa - have a great time at BM.

Remember what the doormouse said

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Lisa have a fantastic time at Burning man. And Ill tell Nickey that people are interested.....its just that we werent sure as we emailed all of the juggling clubs (Dublin /galway ect...) and no one got back to us. It will prob be in Dec smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
YAY BELFAST JUGLING CONVENTION!!!!

Darrel i pm'd you invitation to a spinny sesion, feedback pls

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
hi all,
i'd be up for both, belfast and ffs i'd have to make lisa's going away! im not sure how things are going to work out over the next few weeks, things are up the walls, i may be repeating the leaving, taking a year out or gettin into college, i gotta sort out alot of [censored] there, throw in a week in rehab and things are pretty screwed up, all going well i'd go to belfast but i'll definetly be in tara...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
ohh yea, lisa take a pic of the burning man painting i did and post it on you member gallery, i could do with some shameless advertising xD !

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Someone give Jake a huge hug for me, he rocks! biggrin

Also if anyone bumps into Ariel tell her I say hi and make sure she still has my stilts.... I haven't heard from her in over a year and they took me weeks to build.... redface smile

Can't wait to see you all, should defo be back for EJC maybe smile
J heart

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Will be good to meet you too James hug

Lisa, have a splendid time... of course you will smile And I'll try my best to come down that weekend...

take care all xx

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
About the Dublin Juggling Clubs not replying....they're all college clubs, and probably don't have access to their email at the moment. Plus, they're probably all just coming back from the EJC in dribs and drabs.

Definately don't interpret it as a lack of interest...people at EJC were asking when the next Irish convention would be...

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. Nicky's still not sure about organising that yet, so don't get too excited biggrin

Hopefully though, would be fun smile

Hope you're well lovely Helen... did you come back from the EJC full of inspiration and ideas?!

Good luck lady, let us know if you need anything hug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Hey Fab,
just to let you know i sorry but i cant make tara at all in september. im away for the next two weeks im back a week and then im away again a week later. really sorry but if i was in the country i would be there to say goodbye

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Are you going anywhere fun mister Dec?

Take care hug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Back to camp for a two weeks then a bit of a break and then off to Canada for a week. Best part its an all expenses paid "work" trip

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............. biggrin bounce biggrin

Have a lovely time m'darlin, I'm sure you will smile

All expenses paid eh?!! Lucky sod!

Take care and have fun

hug
hug2
xx

761 posts

Posted:
hello all you dublin spinny types. if you are interested in working on spinny gigs in dublin, then please attend trinity juggling tuesday night various gigs running from 9th - 17th sept

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone!
Long time no see for most of ye, hope that everyone's doing great. Just back from Terryglass arts festival, me and eimhin had a lovely chilled out gig up there.
The EJC was amazing for all that missed it (will someone please tell adian and amelie that I'm not talking to them! smile), had an delightful time, met a load of lovely people, including several delightful uberpoi heads, a bunch of french spinners with some of the nicest spinning styles I've seen, same people that I met last summer in France at EJC and after and gave me a feck load of inspiration. Quality smile
Hey Lisa, enjoy burning man land! I hope to be able to come to Tara, but shall be working alot for september. Shall spread the word and see if I can convince some others
Hope to see ya all soon
ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good to see you back Ronan... hug

Glad you had a marvellous time at the EJC.

Did Aidan not make it?!

rolleyes smile

Take care and see you all soon.

Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I know you must of missed us terribly mr potomas, but if you'll forgive me then i promise you an extra large hug and a even larger spliff that we can smoke and tell you all about the loveliness of britanny. Tara?

So... party in your house?

a

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Yeah Aidan, what's the story? spank

hug

Hope the travels went well

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Indeed they did, cept the bit where someone stole our bicycles and my two shiney new staffs. Never fear though, I learned lots of juggling instead, and yesterday I learned to do straight jacket poi!!!

ps, did you by chance find amelies glasses in your house? We'll be travelling up north in the next week or two... praps we could swing by for a spin?

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
No sign of any glasses - sorry! Give me a bell if you're in Dublin, you know you're always welcome.

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
No worries, there defo there somewhere, in a glasses case. Amelies getting fitted for contacts today. Hope she isnt to shocked when she finds out what I really look like!!

Love is the law.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well I suppose that I'll find some way to forgive you, (as long as you make the hug larger that the spliff thats larger than the hug....HAH! Yer fecked now! smile) it'll be great to see you again old chap.
Where you situated at the moment?

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hello you Irish lot!!

Since Sunbird was unable to come to Tara last time (and we'll definitely not be able to fly over in September given that he's being introduced to my parents in Germany... *PANIC*....) I thought I might surprise him with a weekend in Dublin, or 2 non-weekendy days if he has to work weekends again, sometime in October or early November... Ryanair has really cheap flights on offer at the moment btw, if anyone wants to come over to Edinburgh, it's about 40 Euros for a return flight if you book soon biggrin

(yes Darrell, I'm advertising your company hug)

Would there be a potential HoP-o-tel for us somewhere?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

761 posts

Posted:
brigit, ye have plenty of space with me and helene if youre interested. €40 return to edinburgh... ... hmmmmm

by the way.. the gigs from the 10th - 17th of sept are totaly booked thanks to the excellent turn out.

there is still a hardhouse techno gig in 'the music centre' ni temple bar on the 9th, claire you might be interested, i'll pm you the details. if anyone else is interested in going to this GLOW AND UV PAINTING funtime, please pm me for details and terms&conditions. see y'all soon darlins

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yay smile will get back to you as soon as I know dates. How do you ask a boyfriend for when he has a few days off in October/November without telling him why? I guess I'll have to say "because." if he asks, and hope he'll give in to my stubbornness. Ideally, we'd arrive at the airport and he'd have no clue where we're going, so I guess I can admit I want to take him somewhere... oh why is life so complicated ubblol

(and I really hope he's not reading the Ireland thread ubblol ubblol ubblol)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, good luck Birgit!!

And Dr F, thanks all the same, but it's a long way to go for a free gig and really bad music biggrin biggrin biggrin

Hope everyone is well

hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ronopotamus

Well I suppose that I'll find some way to forgive you, (as long as you make the hug larger that the spliff thats larger than the hug....HAH! Yer fecked now! smile) it'll be great to see you again old chap.
Where you situated at the moment?

better have the hug first then, other wise we'll just fall over from the ultimate spliff of doom!

situated in sunny limerick smile we should be in the move in the next week or so, we got this gig but at the moment we have no idea where in ireland its going to be on. ubbloco juggle

Birgit!! Nice one, hope to see you again... and cheap flights to ed... maybe we should all go over for the weekend!! can we all stay in your house? and can we eat half chickens and curry wurst? smile hug

Love is the law.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Maybe not all wink depending on how many you are of course! But if my flatmate's away we can try... put all furniture out of the living-room and see how many Irish people can fit on the floor ubblol

Whoever comes over will get a meal or cake from me, I promise hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

761 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

it's a long way to go for a free gig and really bad music biggrin biggrin biggrin

eek
*turning my back to claire...*

brigit i recon thats the best thing, just take him to the airport and say nothing. i once did that with helene and it worked well.

*turning back & looking at claire with one eye...* 'HUMPF!'

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yayyayyay bounce

arriving Fri 4th November, 11.20 pm, and leaving Monday 7th November, 8.55 pm

Hope the Friday flight is not too late, oh Master of the Sacred Spoon (looking forward to the story behind THAT one!!), but the alternative would have been really early and more expensive on the Saturday smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ......