Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Aidan, we have new people on the list from Derry! That'd be some trip for them to make!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
would that be further than it is from cork to belfast wink

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Allo....(Ahhh college computers are crap) anyway.. yip Im going to the circus so we should all arrange a time to meet for a drink before hand. And I vote for Belfast fire fun cos theres been a problem with my student loan (again) and Im completly broke ubbcrying

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. That's 2-all. biggrin

Derry to Cork would be further, young aidan, than from Cork to Rathlin!!! Belfast and Dublin are the middle bits. What about Newry!?! Any fire spinners on the border?!! ubblol

Derry is quite near Rathlin, but a bit over to the left.

Tainted. You have my mobile, and I'll be texting you all later... but we meet between 7.15 and 7.30 on Saturday night at Bar One, which is on the first floor of the Waterfront Hall... maybe also try to meet there in intervals (if there are any) and after the show?!

Take care, see you Saturday
Clare x

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ok per see you on Sat beerchug

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
why don't we only meet for a spin on the Hill of Uisneach?

it's at the very centre of the country. no more arguments tongue

it's not a bad idea actually, not sure if any of you have ever been there, but in it's day it was a more sacred place than the Hill of Tara, for it was the meeting place of all Irish Druids. the energy there is incredible.

though i have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be dublin again.... rolleyes

how are you guys anyhow? haven't seen any sign of Feartine in here....

i'm missing you guys. it's hard work doing a full days work lately with no distractions ubbloco

heading out to johnny's fundraiser tomorrow night, in navan, if anyone fancies tagging along.... 8pm-2am, bands, djs, fire, yummmm....

doooeeeiiiiii my sweeties!!

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
that hill sounds cool

though maybe its not the weather for it yet.

i'd be up for dublin. its central enough for everyone.

now to business

mentioned before about a reporter friend of mine doing a story on the fundraiser. it turns out its not quite what he had in mind. he's looking to do a story about a fire performer from moyross in limerick taking part in a fund raiser. human interest.

now i dont really have any news worthy pics of the fund raiser but i do have some other pics of you guys.

is it ok with you if i send them in with my other photos? if you have any nice photos that i dont have will you send them on

i still dont know really what he wants but i'd like to get us as much exposure as possible

so i need some sound bytes and quotes.clare/lisa any ideas?

i cant put in everyones names because there was too many people there so i would like to give him Clare, Lisas and Johnnys names as being part of an extended group that organise gigs in the north and south of ireland.

a

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Sweet. Fine with me.

Say something about it being a new community with people from both sides of the border. Growing quickly. Ermmm. I suppose a bit about the history of poi, and staff, and the safety aspects (yes, we do normally have a fire blanket at every gathering biggrin). Oh, and mention HoP too.

If you need anything else more direct, text me biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

he's looking to do a story about a fire performer from moyross in limerick taking part in a fund raiser. human interest.

confused

what fire performer from moyross?? was there one? at our fundraiser? or is he writing fiction?

personally i think the pics that fraulein took at the burning man fundraiser are the best i've seen (of me) so you might want to ask her permission

that way we can all be famous biggrin

info on the Hill of Uisneach

more info for those of you who don't know your history spank

how's about bringing back bealtaine in éire ubbidea

the beltane festival the edinburgers have sounds way cool. should seriously look into this......

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
silly egg

im from moyross...

i already have the pic of you from excise

and one of claire at the student union

and me in new york

im off home

hugs for everyone

*pokes faberge for old times sake*

hug

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

jayzus aidan, will ye make yer bleedin' mind up [/skangeraccent]

one minute your from limerick, the next from tipperary, and if i remember rightly you told the edinburgers that you were from clonmel whilst waving my magners/bulmers bottle about.....

liar liar
your knickers are on fire
your tongue is as long as a telephone wire

fraulein's right, you're really a pikey tongue

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"you're really a pikey"

Ohhh. Must be. He still can't spell my name right.

rolleyes

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hey hey, here i am you lucky people ! biggrin

right then, i think it's more or less sorted, next gathering will be somewhere in the pale on sat 19th of feb, either decs or mine, venue to be decided.

i can sleep quiet a few at mine if you all bring bags & mats & stuff. dec on the other hand can't, but is closer to town if people want to head home afterwards.

in the interim i suggest we all buy contact balls, it's so easy for 10 people to practise in one room in the event of a washout biggrin and one can never have enough toys.

by the way, the ucd juggling club are putting in an order soon with Beard. i'm not sure what kind of discount they get, but every bit helps, even if it's just the postage, so if you wanna have a look at their site and see if anything takes your fancy, then let me know soon. i'm getting me a nice big shiney acrylic ball ubblove

be safe, be good & be happy grouphug

L peace

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Well here I am again...

Unemployed... free...

Yippee!!!

I have finished work and will be hittin' the open road tomorrow! Except I gather the roads in the south are more small, bumpy and windy as opposed to open... Now my basic itinerary is to take a month or so to go south, then west, then north in a big circle, in my car, with firetoys and guitar and tent, and meet as many cool people as I can on the way.

So who wants to be one of the cool? Applications being taken now, especially from people far away with floorspace in their house.

I reckon I could make it back to Dublin for a fire gathering. Or wherever...

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you is always welcome in my humble abode

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Why thank you very much. I love your humble abode. I think I will be in Cork in a week or two, but naturally I will try to give you some warning!

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
no worries

hope to see you in dublin

a

hug

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
steph has arrived, yay for spinners in one's house bounce

i'm thinking of setting up a firespinners commune if anyone know's of a suitable place peace

there is this 1 place on the newtownards road in belfast, i believe our steph used to live there, nine bedrooms i hear....

an island would be good though....

anyone got a spare island i could borrow for a month or six...?

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
That place on Newtownards Road is available for the very resonable cost of just £335,000. A couple more nights busking in Temple Bar, and we're in! You might have to wait a month bfore the past tennant moves her boxes out of the wardrobe, though.

But you're right, an island would be better. Can I put in a request for a warm and balmy island? So much more fun spinning when it's not below zero, and firelight looks amazing on bare skin.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Any news of when the Dublin juggling convention is happening this year? I heard rumours of the 3rd of march... but couldn't find anything to back it up.
Wanted to meet up with ye cork spinners but now juggly day is work day for me, shitebags
Anyone heading to BJC?
Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep, I hope to be biggrin

Haven't got everything sorted, cos I might be going to Falmouth too, but I'd love to go to BJC (though they don't seem to have any poi workshops happening yet frown )

Are you going to be in or around Dublin on Feb 19th Ronan?! we're having a wee gathering somewhere biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i've heard from folks at the UCD juggling club that the Dublin Juggling Convention is to be held the weekend of the 4th/5th of March. i assume it's in Trinity this year again, will find out for sure and post again as soon as i know

and yes, a wee gathering in Dublin on the 19th indeed. so far around about 15 people have said they will definitely come, and another 5 or 6 maybe's biggrin

venue to be confirmed, but it's looking like some park out by DCU. anyone & everyone is welcome. anyone travelling to Dublin & looking for a place to stay could you please pm me and we'll see what we can sort out.

more soon...

hug

Lisa peace

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hmmm

fire

park

music

spinners and twirlers, drummers?

no tourists or drunk people.

sounds like a wonderfull wonderfull plan.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you rest those arms now, you hear? spank

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello ladies and gentlemen.

How are we all this splendid afternoon?

Send me through some info on the 19th gig and I'll send it round the mailing list.

Hope everything is marvellous

Take care
Clare xx

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Pretty sick unfortunatly.meant to sort stuff out earlier but just havent been able.
I'll give lisa a ring tonight and get back to you pretty soon.

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Grand. Look forward to it biggrin

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Hide under a blanket with some chicken soup and watch a dvd tonight hug

take care
xx

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Bonjour..... Whats happening on the 19th? Room for a small one (Im tiny I swear...heehee)

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
just to let you know.my place and faberege's is available for kippage(dont know if its a real word but i like it). looks like the ablert college park by DCU is the plan at the moment.

if you want details on how to get there pm me and I'll let you know. hope to see you all soon

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i used to live beside that park.

never went in though.

Love is the law.

Page: ......