gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
What types of handle do everyone use cause after 5-6 hours of poi at a party or rave I tend to get really bad friction burns which meen I can't carry on.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
5 or 6 hours? Man, that's something. But I know exactly what you mean--I've given myself blisters on my fingers too, although not from such marathon sessions--more from using extra-heavy practice wicks.I've played around with harness design a lot, and I've found that the width of the straps and material makes a big difference. The ones I make now have straps about 1.25" wide (wider than your knuckles are long), and are made of deerskin, which is the softest leather I can find. I can actually use these right over a blister without it hurting. But I'll have callouses soon enough, so that won't be a worry {g}.All of my harnesses snug themselves down against the fingers, which can be uncomfortable when carried to extremes, but for the most part seems to be more comfortable and give better control.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Cheers man, sounds good.(don't mean 6 hours straight obviously but still that might be an good topic to start how long. I have done it fairly solidly all day and that was painfull)peace out garbo tongue

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Man you musta chewed the juice!The other night my girlfriend and I went through a litre in about 20 mins...we have been known to use about 7 litres in a night...but thats with some sharing.. smileAnyhow - I find that using the double loop technique greatly reduces friction...forces you to do the hand movements which stop rubbing...still - some ppl dont feel comfy with double loops...Josh

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Garbo - r u using glowsticks or fire chains? i use leather twin finger loops and never had an issue with friction burns but i am now looking for an alternative as the leather has gone too soft and they are not so tight around my fingers anymore...there was an earlier thread as well (December i think) if you wanna have a look and get more suggestions...happy swinging,Simos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Deer skin, hand stiched with sinew for me.About an inch wide, soft side in, smooth side out. No blisters and no callouses...at least from swinging winkCheers.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Cheers Guys. Very helpfull grinpeace outgarbo tongue

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
hey, pele - where do you get the skin and sinew? i'd love to try that! i'm experimenting with different stuff now cause i'm totally blistergrrl. most recently i've just taken to switching fingers after an hour or so, and practicing with thin poly-propylene gloves(well, like glove liners) on. that definitely helps, but won't work for performances.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Ykaterina--You can get various kinds of leather and sinew and any leathercrafting shop. The one that used to be a big (well, as leathercrafting shops go) chain, Tandy, is now only on the web at www.tandyleather.comAnother option for blisters (either to relieve or prevent) is to wrap your fingers with athletic or medical tape.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Adam, I've tried that medical/athletic tape thing...and while it works wonders for ankles and wrists and balls of feet...I really can't say it worked for me for spinning on. The constant friction caused the tape to kind of fall apart and it made the loops of my practice poi all sticky inside. That's when I switched to leather.yKat, I actually get the leather and sinew in the crafts department of Wal-Mart. The sinew is about $2 and the bag of leather bits is $4 but there's enough to make several handles and such.Cheers! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
Cos im vege i tend not to use leather handles. Instead i use 1 inch wide'Webbing' straps. i use double finger holed handles which fit around my middle two fingers.Just as i was breaking them in they started to rub but since then ive not had one tender spot. If i did get a blister i used to use a thing called "New-Skin", you apply the liquid to your sore and after a few seconds it dries to form a protective film over the wound. Its not a permanant fix but it stops paraffin (or whatever fuel u use) getting into the wound. Its aiso quite flexible so will last quite a while.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey CaU....Super glue does the same thing for cheaper. It was actually made to be a skin adhesive during one of the world wars so the front line men didn't have to constantly get stitches, they had som much left over that they marketed it as glue. Works on abrassions and cuts. Blisters and burns should actually be left uncovered. Even burn cream should not be put on a burn in the first 12 hours. Just cold water.A leather feeling alternative for handles would be a chamiose(sp?) cloth, used to polish cars. They are soft, pliable but strong. They feel slimey if they get wet but they don't cause blisters. Auto store usually carry them for a couple bucks each, and one should be fit to make at least four handles from.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bear in mind that real chamois (pronounced "shammy" in English, but from the French word for a kind of antelope) is deerskin. There are synthetic chamois pads, but I don't know if they have the strength of the real thing (which you need for harnesses), since that's not what they're designed for.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was referring to the fake chamois, since most autoparts stores around here are too cheap to sell the real ones, sorry I didn't clarify on that. They are strong enough...we've also used them as anchor grips in tug-o-wars...so I know they hold up. But thanks for the heads up! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
cool!so, this weekend's project will be to stop at walmart for some chamois and the sinew and deerskin scraps (i *HEART* walmart!), and see what we come up with. promise to report all results!! smilein other news, just cause i wanna brag, i just got PURPLE chain for my practice poi!!! how cool is that?!!

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
The Handles I use are the leather ones from Malcoms Fire poi Set, I have never had a problem with them. the leather gets soft with a bit of use then its perfect. To avoid the friction I hold my handles with my fingers weaved through them so they dont move. My Index finger and ring finger are in the straping my middle finger is outand goes over both straps and my middle finge is below both straps. Seems to work for me =) Good luck with thoes blisters! smile~spryte~