Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
yeah saturday.. is martin still wanting to have a few jars in his place??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
As far as i know, yeah

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
here i am you luckly people !! biggrin

(sorry, cheezy line from De Niro movie redface)

so how's everyone? clare babe, how's things? hug

busking tomorrow then? or is it still undecided

i'm off in to town to see if i can get sorted with a new phone, i hope to be phonable/textable by 6pm this evening biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
where would ye's be spinning on saturday, i'd love to join you.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

761 posts

Posted:
probably on grafton street mot. i'll opm you my mobile number and you can text /phone me then

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I reckon assemble on Grafton Street tonight, 10pm ish, and tell all drummers you know!

See you there!

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
I SUCK.... I never made it, I forgot, i ended up playing with my Diabolo in Shankill. Im Sorry to all involved, Did you guys do Great ? Did you shock and amze, wonderfy and Stupify ? and is there anything going on with Rathlin ? A Cork convention ? or a Belfast one !?!?!?!? what s happening folks ? or has every thing finally calmed down and the next big thing is TRralee ? ? ?

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hello yall...

hope yer all still havin a blast

hugs for everyone. you should see the sun in this place, it looks just like ours but its warm and makes your skin go brown. wink

in other news i learned to juggle a reverse cascade, not much but it sure made me wiggle

the amount of people that spin poi here is shocking, and even more shocking is that no one spins staff.... really... no one....

that might explain why someone stole both my sticks. little feckers!!!

so home in a week or two, depending on detours smile

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
I have heard rumours of a Belfast convention coming up....ill try to pump Nicky for more info juggle

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

fulmine flamaenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi
In a few hours we, Nienke and I, will be in Ireland.
First we’re going to Dublin till the 13th. Then we’re going to this really small village (Carrick on Shanon) for a few days. After that we’re going to Galway and a very very tiny little place called Kil Kierann.
Are there regular meets in these area’s? Because we would love to spin with some other people while we’re there…
Greetings, Alexandra

761 posts

Posted:
theres millions of spinners in dublin!! you cant help but bump into us. we had our big meeting yesterday and the next big meeting will be on sunday!! but there should be some busking happening over the weekend(given the roaring succes that we had last weekend!) but you will more than likely see someone spinning if you take a trip into ST STEPHEN'S GREEN or maybe in PHOENIX PARK.

welcome to ireland and welcome to home of poi! hug

talk to you soon
Dr.F

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

There's lots going on that I can't get too frown

Are you guys meeting all the time? Is it the Dublin ones?

And what's the story with Dun Laoghaire?!

anyways, see you all soon
Take care
Clare x

761 posts

Posted:
dark clouds on the horizon for dun-laoghaire! we might not be allowed to have any fire!! if were not i dont know what we'll do.. maybe just do playing with diabolo etc.. or maybe we could do a big busk on grafton street.. set up routines etc and do it in town... i'll talk to the lady and find out what the story is and re-post after lunch here... ... watch this space. and yes ,firepoise,we do meet all the time angelbluepop down sometime, you can always kip in my place, coleen will tell u, its very comfortable.

talk to ye later

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Can't do fire?!

But is that not what she wanted in the first place? Have you told her we're all very safety conscious and most of us are now performers?! (lol, how'd that happen!?!)

Anyways, we still have flags and tails - but it's definitely not so impressive.

Let me know what's happening.

Thanks hug

761 posts

Posted:
still no answer from the lady, i'll try her again later.. if anyone wants to go spinning in dublin, go to stephens green .. helene is there and she'll be there with others until 6:00, maybe even a bit later.. perhaps until 6:02!!

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yip your place is really comfy...(it was a fight to get me to leave) Im planning of coming down again in the next few weeks if thats ok???

761 posts

Posted:
yeah sure, once you bring a few barrels of bukkie!.. hey look.. we're ghetting close to 1000 posts in this thread.. what an event that will be!!

fulmine flamaenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Written by: doctor_fandango

theres millions of spinners in dublin!! you cant help but bump into us. we had our big meeting yesterday and the next big meeting will be on sunday!! but there should be some busking happening over the weekend(given the roaring succes that we had last weekend!) but you will more than likely see someone spinning if you take a trip into ST STEPHEN'S GREEN or maybe in PHOENIX PARK.

welcome to ireland and welcome to home of poi! hug

talk to you soon
Dr.F

We stay right around the corner of st stephen's green! We couldn't find anybody today in the park... But wasn't it closing at half an hour before darkness? We're allready leaving Dublin at saturday morning so we can't make it to the big meeting... Better luck nex time?
Is anybody gonna spinn before saturday? Or should we entertain ourselfs...?
Maybe till tomorrow...

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,
I probably have seen most of u guys in trinity/the green. I'm Ken the newbie-staff-user/stoner/alcho/LSD-head. if you don't know me after that brief intro, trust me you've never met me.

for anyone who was in trinity not last tuesday but the previous one I was the guy with the trippy smoking duck.

if that wont jog your memory nothing will!

anywho I'm gonna be on the net for a few days then i may disappear for a lil while, ive to sort out some [censored] over the next week or two but as soon as i've got things together I'll be back to pester you in trinity
*cue evil laughter*

ohh sorry for my use of caps but DR F IS THE FO SHIZZNAZ!
he made my staff for me, he is a badass mofo!

Lisa, Píere, Liam, Helen and Jess are a few of the ppl I know from town... (just mentioning for no apparent reason)

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
"newbie-staff-user/stoner/alcho/LSD-head"
wow, thats quite a title you've got for yourself!!!

welcome to hop + the irish thread.

ps. - you don't know me + i don't know you.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Didn't I arrest you before? What're you doing out again? devil

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey guys just thought id let yo know (cos i know some people only post in this thread) I have been to the hospital and i have a blood clot in my right lung, but dont worry im gonna be fine....gotta take it easy thou.....Grrrrrr but send me hugs and happy thoughts and ill be grand. See you all soon wink hug

761 posts

Posted:
eek are you sure your ok? awww you poor dearie :superhug: get well soon.
hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug2 hug hug hug2 hug

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello hello, how's everyone been??

been having HoP withdrawal sypthoms of late, miss you all loads!!! ubbrollsmile

ken, welcome to HoP hug2, you'll be very happy here with all the other wierdo's, misfits & oddballs i call my bestest friends biggrin

clare, shall see you tomorrow, gonna try get a bus at about 8-9ish tomorrow so should be in belfast before 12. will ring you later to confirm

james!!! bounce how you doin' dude??? are you still in new zealand? what have you been up to? info & gossip on a postcard please, & bigs hugs for yourself and your lovely lady hug

diana, great to hear you're home, shall i be seeing you this weekend too?

well, i'm still happily unemployed. moved out of my apartment last nite. was expected a little more drama on my part, some emotion outburst or sumfink, but nothing.... didn't even shed a tear. it probably hasn't all quite sunk in yet....

i am now officially a jobless, homeless hippie peace

devil

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
yip im grand a bit sore cause the clots caused bruiseing to my breast bone....Grrrrr and my birthdays on monday Grrrrrrrrrr Il still be coming down soon thou hug wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Glad to see your ok colleen hug

Ken... hellos again and welcome to the irish house of madness biggrin No doubt will be seeing you somewhere soon... maybe in Dun laoghaire in a few weeks?

DSS... hope the trip is going well smile

Lisa biggrin biggrin biggrin Well done and congrats lady, can't wait to hear all the gossip and stories tomorrow ubblol Hope you have a great time - and good luck for your adventures biggrin

Take care everyone xx

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
I had to buy my first fuel today and I couldn't find any parafin (I live in Offaly, enough said)

so...

I got white spirits and bbq fuel and the white spirits burns cleaner but doesnt last. now the bbq stuff is all smokey and i'm wondering wether thats feckin up my wicks?

id prefer the bbq stuff only because it burns longer but i'm worried i'll pay for better fire with shorter wick life but what is the longest burning and cleanest fuel (or whats the best of both worlds?)? please be nice, im a noob =P

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

Don't use the BBQ stuff... it can't be good. And white spirits ain't great either.

Now I know Ms Faberge must have already taught you about good fuels... biggrin

You should be able to get parrafin from somewhere. Not sure where, but maybe flip (Eimhin) could advise.

Try to hunt it down, because it's the tried and tested best option.

(Larger hardware stores or garages should have it)

Good luck smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I used to use BBQ lighter fluid.... its ok, but the burn time is completley crap, and the fumes are worse for you than parrafin. Dont make a habit out of using the stuff (its more expensive too)

-edit- but what im doing in this thread I have no idea wink
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1123866789)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Thanks FRD... and you're very welcome here any time hug

Page: ......