Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
splendid, splendid! biggrin

steph, you can come & crash at mine too. the more the merrier.

do you know i had totally forgotten that it's a bank holiday weekend.... weeeheeee!!!! bounce

AND the clocks go back so it's an extra hour in bed too ubblove i loves my bed i does

laura, japan? nice one! what's going on, holliers, work....? how's this lovely man of yours doing? does he do any spinny stuff? if not you should buy him a staff for xmas ubbidea

love to all hug

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey anyone performing over Halloween in Belfast???

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hi Tainted

You've come tot he right place. If you go back a couple of pages all the details are there.

Firepoise is organising a big firey gathering on the saturday night along with maybe some daytime fun too.

Send a pm to Firepoise or email her at firepoise at hotmail dot com

She's from that end of the country too and will be happy as to here from you.

Welcome to the superhappy fun irish thread.

PM me your email adress and I will add you to our mailing list smile

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Didn't I just pick the right weekend for Dublin!

As long as you're still all prepared to come to Belfast next weekend... Tainted, you're very welcome to join us. Would love to have another fire person there. My fire teacher and mentor from San Fran was nearly going to be here that weekend, too... but it looks like we'll be meeting the weekend after instead.

Ooh, FIRE! Yay!

Thank you for the crash at yours invite, Lisa. I'm booked at a hostel but I will see if I can cancel it for Saturday night. I'll be having a chat to Clare later tonight, so I guess we'll sort something out then.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hello m'luvelies...

Thanks so much for yet another great weekend... it was much fun biggrin

And from now til Saturday we all have to pray to god (or whoever you happen to believe in rolleyes) that it doesn't rain ubblol

Am looking forward to seeing you all again on Friday
Hugs
Clare xoxo

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there all,

Hope all is going well and things are good for the weekend. The weather is set to get worse here until Friday, when it's set to brighten up - fingers and other things crossed ubblol

Any ideas for costumes and suchlike?!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont think im going to have time to put together a costume. I was thinkin of just tearing the sleaves off my t shirt and then getting painted up like the warrior that i am....

Faberge, bring yer blue.... biggrin

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Big thankyou to everyone who was able to come to Belfast last weekend - I had a fantastic time, and thanks to Clare's superb organisation skills, I was able to relax and feel pretty damn good by Monday. One of my recent patients even greeted me on Monday morning by saying that he saw me on TV, and if I fix his shoulder, can I then teach him to do 'that thing'?

To Manuela and Aidan, my flatmates have managed to fix the broken lamp by breaking off all the remaining glass, and agree that it looks far better now that it matches all the other bare bulbs in the house! So thanks for that piece of spontaneous interior decorating.

Let's do it all again sometime!

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin Thanks again for the house Steph...

Would love to do it again sometime... but not sure when that'll be frown

Thanks everyone for coming up. I really appreciated it.

Btw, Lisa I have your flags, but I'll get them to you somehow.

Take care
xx

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
hola smile

how are all the posse on this fine tuesday evening??

all is well with me, tho i have managed to hurt my shoulder frown boohoo. bizarely enuff, i have no recollection of it, and the pain started in my chest. it then travelled into my left arm....(yikes) so hysteria took over for a few days and i was convinced i was about to have a heart attack.....

silly lady, seems i pulled a muscle. so no more hysteria.

so?? how did belfast go?? i hear a mention of the TV?? whats this??? tell me all!

i've been to acupuncture! its quite strange, but my eczema has cleared up. the needles go in a good inch, quite a strane sensation. but i recommend it. okey, im off, lemme know how belfast went pleeeeaaaase

x L x

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there Laura,

Sorry we've all been so crap at keeping in touch... Belfast was great, everyone had a marvellous time and we did loads of fire smile

On the Friday night we played in a local park and didn't get hassled by too many drunks ( ubblol ), on Saturday afternoon we took part in the anti-racism parade through the centre of Belfast and rumour has it Steph was on the TV news (though, we didn't see it, cos we were all getting stoned and spinning instead biggrin)

Saturday night we were playing outside the Queens student union, which was marvellous - we had 3 really wicked drummers, everyone danced their hearts out and it went down really well.

Yep, the weekend was great smile

Then, during the week, Aidan and I split up, which was very sad ubbcrying

But, we both travelled back down to Dublin at the weekend and had a great weekend... on Saturday night we danced in Temple bar with kelly and Mahinda (?!) drumming - it was really good fun, then on Sunday we went to kelly's party in a bar, which was also marvellous. We didn't get to do as much fire as we'd hoped, but we were all a bit too wasted to care.

So there you go, up to date smile

The Tralee juggling convention is on this weekend, but I'm not going... might organise a wee gathering up here in Belfast instead.

Hope all is well with you and your aches, pains and potions are getting better

Take care

hug

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Any one heading to Tralee this weekend??? beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh god spank

Everyone's going but me frown

Lol, yeah, never worry, there's loads of the Cork and Dublin spinny types going to Tralee... if you decide to stay in Belfast Colleen, I'm going to meet up with Steph for a spin somewhere (unless she's going to - which is cool biggrin)... PM me your mobile number.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I am still thinking about it, I have a very inmportant party here in cork two though and im torn. I do know of loads of people going, including some jugglers and spinners from cork. I'd be happy to give you some contacts.

Hi!!!1 everyone else.

I've been so lazy about posting in here lately, manby apologies to all concerned.

Belfast was a wonderfuly fun and magical weekend. We all met new people learned new things and entertained the great unwashed masses.

Thankyou to Firepoise and Dragon Princess for Organising and providing Bedding respectively.

claire you did a brilliant job.

Last week we went to dublin and performed on the street on friday. This was most fun. Once again it was in large part to the superb drummers and great company.

Heya Laudie!!! get your act together and come spinning!!!! smile

by for now

Tainted, pm me if you want some numbers to take with you to tralee.

I'll let you know what i decide.

take care everyone, hope your all well.

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:

people!!! you gota let me know when ur in dublin!! damn stoners...ur all the same....;)

belfast sounded hella fun, sorry to hear things didnt work out clare n ado. but ur still buddies, n thats always a good thing smile im heading to japan in feb to visit my ex! smile

tralee? not a chance! more bloody birthdays...

a girly called louise called me on tues looking for directions to trinity. she seems loverly. was anyone there to meet her?

xxx

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I wasnt....

hope that helps narrow it down biggrin

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Aidan...

I realise I've only told you two or three times but my name isn't spelt with an 'i'.

umm

Anyways, Lisa and I were having a wee chat tonight, and I reckon there will be fire shennigans at the beginning of December...

hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I thought it was spelled firepoise?

biggrin

see above

biggrin

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
I had and amazing weekend last, with my favourite lover from San Fran visiting for 4 days and 5 nights - and he spins. We did a bit of fire on Monday night, wowed my housemate who'd only ever seen it before from a vast distance on the beaches of Thailand. Sadly Jonathan (the lover) still doesn't believe in longterm relationships. How can he say he loves me, values me, is inspired by me, etc... but not want more?? Actually, I do underatnd where he's coming from, but that doesn't mean I have to like it that way. I value what we do have together. That's the most important thing.

So - any fire in Belfast this weekend?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
OKs, I know this is extremely late notice, but anyone in Belfast fancing meeting up for a bit of fire tonight?!!

You should all have my mobile by now, so get in touch if you want to meet up...

Take care
Clare xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone who turned up in Belfast this weekend... it was really good to meet you guys and have a spin.

Just to let you know, in case anyone is interested:
Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen will be delivering a speech on Guantanamo Bay and the 'war on terror' this Saturday afternoon.
Sat 20 November, 4.30pm, Clanmil Housing, Northern Whig House, Waring St, Belfast.
4.30pm-5.15pm.

I can't make it cos I have a wedding.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
LaLaLaLa Im bored in college... suppose I should actully start some work Hmmmm. Just thought Id let people know that a few of us from the circus school (in bfast) are heading to the city hall bout 8:30ish to have a wee bit o a busk if anyone wants to pop along weavesmiley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Awww [censored]. I've just arrived in work!! What time you going to be there til? I get out at 11pm? What college you at btw?

Clare

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Im at BIFHE in East Belfaset. Not sure but prob gonna head to the bar for a few after.... beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh ok. Well, see you again. We'll have to get another meeting organised sometime biggrin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning miss cla(i wink )re

how do?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahah ubblol

hello gorgeous... ohhhhh, you're posting in the Irish thread... we are honoured biggrin

Am not too bad, thanks muchly... how are you m'fine feline?

Up to any tricks or mischief?

Am going to Dublin this weekend... which will be fun. But am still planning to come to the BJC, so I hope you're going to be there biggrin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oooh yes.
might be performing too, you never know.

cab saute looking like getting another outing biggrin

i'm pretty good.
uber busy in the run up to chrimbo. but thats no bad thing...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
That would be splendid.

The one and only time I saw you perform was at Alpine for New Years, I believe, and I was fairly trashed throughout biggrin

Glad you're getting lots of work... I just got a job doing fire outside a nightclub in Belfast for a couple of hours on Boxing Night and New Years Eve... crappy nights, cold weather, but I'm being paid well for it smile

Are you doing anything or going anywhere nice for Christmas? And what's Santa bringing you? I'm thinking Santa might bring me some of Perdy's pretty flags...

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey people just thought I'd let everyone know in time cause last time it was a bit rushed. Was thinking of busking in Belfast city centre this Thurs and ext Thurs if anyones up for it. Lat me know. Also does anyone know any good clubs (or shitty ones) who would pay for uv or fire perfromance???

Page: ......