Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Toni (a girl from new zealand is coming too)

We will also have to more kiwi guests to.

I'd like to extend an open invitation to everyone to come stay in our house. I cant offer you all beds but the furnutire is grand and the carpet is not bad. Just bring your sleeping bags eh....

I'll even cook you a big fry, or waffles if your a herbivore.

Love is the law.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hi, greetings from Bangkok wave
thanks for the heads up Ado, didn't see this thread though I seem to have posted in it before *shrug*
Gotta rush....laters J

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there DeepSoulSheep (James, isn't it?!)

Make sure you say hi to Mio when you're there... lovely Thai ladee who sells poi with her boyfriend on Ko Sann (spl?!) Road. She's marvellous.

Have a good time and happy travels
xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey James,

Are you coming to stay in my house on the 25th? Cork really isnt so far from the Khao San road..... just make sure to bring loads of incredibly cheap Thai firetoys wink

a

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hiya james wave and everyone else of course....

yes cork on the 25th it is then!

tony said she'll definitely come, as she hasn't seen anything but dublin since she got here. who are the other kiwis'?

i'm really looking forward to it, i haven't been down there in years. is there anywhere in particular that we could go to get some nice pics? i'll see if my folks will let me borrow their camcorder.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

Cameras?!!

eek

Damn. I need to practice more biggrin

Looking forward to seeing you all soon

hug

xx

PS: This was the 300th post... dammit, wish I'd said something profound now ubblol

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yay!! hello all smile

tis blustery out, n my my do i feel all wintery again frown

but...a fireyness is upon us, so i shud b happy. lisa my dear are u training it down? or ag driveail?? fraulein, i think this is our opportunity for some firetography of epic proportions!

i am starting yoga on wed, n meeting nice man on thurs smile yee haaa

any news any 1?
xxxx

oh lisa, do u know wen vanessa is bak?

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
very wintery indeed..... bbrrrrrrr...... bloody cold too.

i doubt i'll be going near trinners tonite. i know they have an indoor facility for the winter but i've no idea if that's even open yet. i mean, it's only mid-september and i had genuinely held out hope for an indian summer sunny oh well, maybe when i get to india then biggrin

so yeah, i reckon tonite will be a nite in (i've spent about 2 nites at home in the past 6 weeks!) and early to bed..... zzzz........

hug

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
sorry laura, forgot to answer you rolleyes

i'll be getting the train down, but i'm not sure if i'll be going down on the friday or saturday. i'd rather the friday but there's a friend of mine from barcelona in town that weekend and i may try catch up with her on the friday night for a few beers. damn the bastards who stole my car! it's a pain being reliant on public transport.....

as far as i remember vanessa was going to morocco for 2 weeks, and i think this is her second week away.

see you soon petal, and i want all the gorey details on this "nice man" wink

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello Lisa...

Bah, irish weather. Bah.

However, you're soon going to be in a very hot country, where even the rain is warm... so all is well biggrin

And, sorry if I missed something, but what happened your car?! I'm sure you probably told me about this already... but y'know how it is with short term memories ubblol

take care xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol (ya big stoner biggrin)

car was stolen just before my birthday in june. didn't bother replacing it as it would have been too much hassle with going away and all, but it's a real pain commuting an hour an a half each way to work on 3 different buses when the car journey only took me 25 mins. that's 3 hours of my day wasted. (not that i mind spending 3 hours of my day wasted, in a totally different context of course biggrin)

which reminds me of one of clo's favourite sayings "a day spent wasted is never a wasted day"

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

damn the bastards who stole my car! it's a pain being reliant on public transport.....

But you have merc-man ubblol wavehello

"I see," said the blind man.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yeah right. merc-man offered tim & wendy a lift to airport on saturday for a mere....... 50 quid....!!!!!

a taxi only costs 30!

think the merc thing has completely gone to head, but we kinda new that didn't we? ubblol

284 posts

Posted:
Aaahhhh I guess he thought the limousine-business over you put into his head...... wink

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
another 4 posts and i'll be on 666. good number for an intro, no?

anyone believe in that superstitious nonsense?

hmmm..... maybe there is something behind it. i've been feeling a bit offish all day. going around doing lots of giving out. ado fears i may kill someone ubblol

284 posts

Posted:
hug Better? wink

Go for that develish intro wink

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
ah be jaysus,

no i didnt show my face at trinners. bring on the indoor facility i say...i managed to win freebies to phoenix nights at the olympia ystrday so went to the warmness of comedians instead. kudos to the comedienne who crowd surfed to the back and up again! hilarious

started yoga tonite, hella good. stretchy strechy. nice to be made aware of muscles that are usually creaky and feel 90!

nice man, hmm, met on friday nite. bn in touch since. delightful lad. brother of friend, and meeting in dun laoghaire 2mro. ooooh im all excited. he's em, all there..... wow

didnt know bout ur car though lady. bastards. no word on getting it bak i take it?

love to u all, i wil let u all know how my 'date' goes smile teehee. n if im not back, u all enjoy ur weekends. despite the cold.... ubbcrying

angelblue

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

another 4 posts and i'll be on 666. good number for an intro, no?

anyone believe in that superstitious nonsense?

What? You mean you don't believe in 'The Number of the Badger'?!? Looking forward to your intro, Lisa! wink

284 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick of the Dreaded Badgers

What? You mean you don't believe in 'The Number of the Badger'?!? Looking forward to your intro, Lisa! wink

Okay, since you've changed your title I am no longer going to badger you.... tongue ubblol

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hey patrick, nice to see you in our thread. have to post 2 or 3 more nonsense posts to get to 666 biggrin

have some cider beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
This is another gratuitous abuse of a post, but...

Wayhey!!!

I got a gig today!!

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

That means I can pay to go to Cork

clap clap clap clap clap

The Boom Boom Room in Bangor (my hometown) is closing down tomorrow night and they're hiring me to dance outside for 2 1/2 hours... marvellous biggrin

Anyways, thought I'd share ubblol

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Congrats!!!

And thanks for the cider, Lisa!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, well.

Firstly, thank you so much to the lovely Steph who arrived down to my hometown to play with fire with me last night. It was great to see another spinner in Northern Ireland... hope you can make it down to Cork next weekend missus biggrin

Secondly, doing a show is never fun. You have to spin more or less constantly for two and a half hours, it's exhausting and the fun is sucked right out of it, but you can console yourself with the money.

My god, last night was traumatic. A freezing gale blowing in off the Irish sea and right up High Street (where we were playing). Ignorant yobs to perform for (I don't expect any form of praise or appreciation in this country anymore... but not walking into the flames and then giving you a look to say 'get tha fu*k outta my way' is just manners).

Some of the choice comments received yesterday... the time-honoured 'd'u have a lite luv', 'I can do that, gimme a go' and the rather special 'is that real fire'...

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience, softened only by the fact I met a wonderful new spinner and I got paid (and I don't even think firespinning should be about the money, bah).

Ah well, first and last time I'm spinning in Bangor anyways.

Hope you all had a good weekend... I think Aidan was having a particularly successful night ubblol

Take care and see you soon
xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I too had the 'drunken yob experience'. My solution to have you got a light question was to stop what i ws doing, take out my lighter and give them a light. It shut em up and got a laugh.

My first time out on the street on a busy night on my own. I even met a drunk baton twirler who showed me a new move ubblol

All in all a success and i earned as much as i would of spent had i gone to the pub.

hope everyone is well

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have or can anyone get a video camera for this event?

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
I had a ball performing with Clare the weekend in Bangor...

Yes, the Irish sea can produce spectacularly cold wind, and Bangor clubbers are stunningly stupid (though in the interests of international relations, I'm sure there are a few exceptions). All those floaty nylon skirts and floaty, hair-sprayed hair drifting by the flames... On the other hand, that was my first burn in months, and it felt great. Now I don't feel so good - aching forearms and shoulders - but that's only because my practise poi are so much lighter, and I rarely spin for two hours straight in freezing conditions.

But the best bit by far was to meet the talented and lovely Clare! Thanks for a fabulous evening!

Anyway, I'm hoping to make it to Cork... I think the easiest way to go will be to fly, and I'm trying to sort that out now. So hopefully my muscles will be even more sore by this time next week.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
redface thanks Steph... will be lovely to see you in Cork too, and again, my humblest apologies for aforementioned stoopid clubber-types biggrin

And, young Aidan, the question should be... does anyone WANT a video camera at this event....

And my answer is nope, no sir-ee bob, thank you very much biggrin

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
I'm all set to come to Cork! I'll be flying in from Dublin on Saturday morning, flying back to Belfast Monday morning. Yay!! I get to visit a new town and meet new people, and best of all, spin!

I'm going to be overnighting in Dublin on Friday night - any suggestions for accommodation in the city?

See you soon

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol at Clare, we'll see.....

Nice one steph, looking forward to meeting you, clare has lovely things to say about you and your firetoys.

Laura told me she'll join us too so its all looking good!

Now i bought 16 litres of fuel last week for the party but i've used it all redface. I reckon its easier for me to get it than for yu guys to carry it so let me know how much you think i should get. Personally i go through 4 litres an hour these days.... mighty big wicks rwwaarrrrrr!!!

ubblol

see ya'll soon.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Does anyone have or can anyone get a video camera for this event?

i'm bringing one.

i have never seen myself spin. i've no idea what it is i do half the time. i think i know what some of the stuff looks like, at least i think i can imagine what it's "supposed" to look like, but if i actually look like what i think i look like.... i'm not too sure.....

i'm also my own worst critic, seeing it on tape should point out what needs fine tuning.....

anyone that doesn't want to be filmed doesn't have to be. i do, just for myself, but there is no way any of it is going on this site.....

hi steph wave

looking forward to meeting you at the weekend. hopefully you can teach me a thing or two ubbrollsmile

we seem to have a right little group going..... yay!!! bounce

hug

Page: ......