Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Am currently uploading Rathlin Pics to my website. If any girl needs "a sight for sore eyes" - there is a very "hot" (literally) pic of Codie (the bronzed staffer) ubblove

ubblol

SARAH

"I see," said the blind man.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:

go sarah go! he was the bronzed staffer til now, but u managed to get his name...hehe good work!

was onto vanessa today, bout going to trinity nxt tues. any of u lovelies wana accompany my timid self?

congrats to all for a delicious show on sat!

isnt life great?!

bounce

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:

oh yes, and i will be onto y'all over the nxt few days, just wanta know who is still interested in dun laoghaire fun n games. lisa (not u faberge! the other organiser lady person) is back from canada -she was ovr there doing yoga training, but when she finished went travelling in a VW van....living the dream...nice!

eh...yes, she's bak so im motivated to get off me arse, leave the pub n get this thing under way!

trying to get drummers, mayb kelly cud come along? n lisa is gettn her mates too. the festival hav sent me a cheque, so poi making under way soon! yay! which a nice young man from trinity jugglers is going to help me with. his name is jay, by the way (just coz it rhymes)

aah, so much to do. be jaysus

we wana get some firey fun going for the nite, would be loverly, down by the sea. just hope the rain goes far far away

again, 'bleedin rapid' on sat. pity i didnt get to talk to yiz much, was a strange weekend...

talk to u soon my lovelies!

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
bounce

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: laudie

go sarah go! he was the bronzed staffer til now, but u managed to get his name...hehe good work!

ahem... it was me who got his name.....

New York is great great great, im a little drunk now so please forgive a spelling erross.
Have lots of lovely photos already and Oising is a very gracious and much missed host. Fun will be had by all over the coming weeks.

Anywhoooo sounds like your all gettin on grand... i've been up 24 hours now so im of to bed

So for all those ofyou who are not lucky enough to be traveling....

na na nana na

all the very best of everything

a

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi peace

Nice pics Sarah! Bemused as to why out of all of us giggling girls, it was Ado who managed to get Codie's name... umm Still think "bronzed staffer" suits him better though. Did you watch that video clip yet anyone?

Laura, Aidan (not the one currently in NYC) who provided beats for us on Saturday might be up for drumming for the Dun Laoghaire thing. He's on the fireland list if you want to contact him.

Enjoy the Roots, anyone who's going, and take care sweethearts,

H hug

The man burns in 16 days devil

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

284 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

So for all those ofyou who are not lucky enough to be traveling.... na na nana na
all the very best of everything
a

Okay, I know this na na nana na was for me.... mad Well I see myself as CONSTANTLY travelling at the moment: not just because I am in Ireland at the mo - it's also because we are travelling through the whole country every weekend for weeks now ubblol As I said Saturday night: Jaisus, I feel like a Pikey!!!! ubblol
Anyhow: Aidan, have a great time in NY! (Btw: I borrowed your bike yesterday = bad idea! I got all soaked and my bum is totally soar today. I can barely sit ubblol).

Helen, I also think that bronzed staffer is more adequate... just imagine what else he could have done with the bottle of olive oil than massaging this guy wink redface Have a brilliant time in Nevada!!

Laura, talk to you next week again regarding Dun Laoghaire weavesmiley ... Might as well come up!

See ya'll soon,
SARAH hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Morning peoples,

I would just like to point out, for the record, that I did no such girly giggling or swooning at the sight of aforementioned bronzed type. He was too bronzed, too blonde… and it just isn’t right to take your shirt off on Rathlin in the middle of a gale umm

Glad to hear all is well in NYC Aidan… hope the flight was good biggrin and you’re having fun… looking forward to seeing the pics smile

Helen, I couldn’t open the little movies… might just be cos my computer is crap… but I’ll try to find one better somewhere. Hehehe… Burning Man, ahhhhh…. Someday. But you’re right, I’m going to The Roots, and The Roots are the funkiest band alive bounce

Sarah (and everyone else going to the festival), hope you have fun… and take more marvellous pics!!

Righto, I’m off work til Sunday (ubblol) so I might go make something new and firey.

Take care m’darlins

love Clare xo

284 posts

Posted:
I think it's always right to take your shirt off... if you've got a chest like him ubblol (*girlygiggle*).... Yeah he was indeed a little bit too blonde and bronzed but hey sometimes it's just fun to behave like a teenager again biggrin

Aye, will take more pics. stop. Don't know if I go yet. stop. Have to check account. stop. have to stop that telegraph style full stop ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello again m'luvelies...

Hope you're all having a sunny Saturday (though, it's unlikely - ah well, hope you're having fun anyways)

Lisa, how'd the flotation tank go?!

See you all soon

xx

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
ole ole!

mother goose is getting me fire poi for my birthday! as long as i said, no, no its not dangerous. she was quite happy to go ahead with her purchase. tee hee

im headn to trinity tomorow if any1 is around pop along, and its not pouring.....

ha, malcolm in the middle is oh so funny

angelblue

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello hello, how are all my kids doing? smile

haven't been around in a few days. been using up my holidays on nice long weekends before i pack it all in biggrin soon.... soon.....

in my absence i've managed to nail the reverse behind the back weave and i've almost got the 5bt corkscrew down to a T biggrin

clare, the floatation tank was amazing. i'll post something in my floatation thread tomorrow maybe when i have the time. at work at the mo.

glad to hear you got your sticks into the states aidan. have you met any spinners over there? have you learnt any more poi moves? (wait & see, he'll come back doing isolations and all manner of 7bt stuff, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest rolleyes )

i'll be at trinners tonite from about 7 or 7.30 till about 9. after that i'll be off to the pub to subtly flirt with this cute guy i met last week..... biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

284 posts

Posted:
Hello again Lisa,

gosh I thought you had either fled back to the island of joy or stayed in the flotation tanks wink ubblol Was it brilliant?!?!
Helen told me she gave a Photo CD to you? Mmmh.... ubbangel can you post one to me!??!?

SARAH hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
omigod lisa... how in the hell do you do the reverse btb weave?!!!

Jesus woman... I demand to be shown next monday!!!!

Lol, see you soon

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
helooo everyone....

just thought i would pop me head in quickly to say hello.

Havent quiet met up with any spinners yet but i will be tomorow night. I was doing some fire at union square park and a girl came over and asked me to spin with them so i got her card and stuff.

Also got a number of a person on here so must give a ring too. Everyones mad busy getting ready or already going to burning man these weeks..... if i wasnt having so much fun i'd be regretting coming here instead. Roll on next year!!!

You can relax Lisa.... i havent picked up any poi yet.... soon though.... hee hee

I did however manage to throw my staff horizontally about ten feet into the air and catch it spinning while kneeling down and leaning back limbo style. Bit crazy to try it right there on the street but it worked and i got a bit of a cheer.

Have to run aong now, getting tickets for a show tonight. When i have a bit more time i will come back and regale you all with fantastic stories from -and i quote- " NY the only city of its kind in America ". I love this place

Take care kids

a

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yay ado!!

good to hear from u my fine feathered friend! i am at present getting great amusement from my 15 yr old brother who is either drunk or stoned but is nonetheless amusing me with his banter....

ooooh trinity thing is fun, all those jugglers...and flying things all over the place!

sarah! badgering the maid!??? whaaat? am i missing something?

i am the proud owner of fire poi, and how cute is this? my brother (presently making more toast...he's defo stoned....) is buying me paraffin for me birthday!! ha!

spent time looking around sail making shops today looking for 'ingredients' for successful home made 'poi'. ended up in this big attic with an old dude and this HUGE sail attached to the rafters which they were sowing together. very cool.

days off are fun smile
angelblue

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
right, i'm coming in here for a sit-down, a bit of a sulk and perhaps a moan or two if anyone will listen. frown

i might have told some of you that i lost a sh*t load of cd's belonging to my friends' boyfriend a few weeks ago. 7 cd's in total. about 150 quids worth eek i still don't have them all replaced, and he's started to ask for them again, arrgghhh!!!

it's not like i was going to hide the fact that i'd lost them, i had planned on telling him while i was handing back 7 brand new cd's, soften the blow, know what i mean? but i don't have them all yet and i'm cringing at the thought of meeting him at the weekend without having replaced all 7 yet redface

but i'm finding it extremely difficult to source 1 in particular. an album called 'Playgroup' by an outfit called Playgroup. amazon (.com + .co.uk) only have 2nd-hand copies and i really wanted an original frown

if anyone out there has any idea where i could get my hands on an original......

on a lighter note ubbrollsmile i met a spanish girl last nite at trinners who was a really good spinner who showed me a couple of new tricks ( biggrin see? i'm all smiley again!) it's great, i feel like i've been stuck in a rut for a while now, but things are finally starting to flow weavesmiley woohoo!

clare, re: the reverse btb weave, i've no idea.... it's the only btb weave i can do though, i can't manage the forwards one confused

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... wayhey!! I'm looking forward to seeing all new tricks on Monday - tis going to be fun biggrin

Can't wait for the Roots... am getting all excited and practising standing there swaying while simultaneously nodding my head ubblol

No idea where to get that group, am afraid... hmmm... actually, there's a couple of independent music stores in Bangor... I'll give them a ring when I get of the internet. Will text you if successful.

Take care chica's
Love Clare xo

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oops, btw, forgot to say...

If any of you have been trawling the boards like I have (yes, I have no life rolleyes), you'll know there's a big Sphecurlism (?spl?) and HoP 'event' planned on the last weekend of October (29-31).

I think the idea is for little groups all around the world to meet up and have a weekend of spinning. A kindof Global Fire thing.

Now, I don't know when the Belfast Convention is happening, but I reckon we could all make an effort and do something to be part of this (any excuse biggrin)

I know some of us won't be around ( frown ), but for those that are, maybe we could make a weekend of it... actually do some serious drinking as well as the usual smoking then spinning til we collapse ubblol or something...

So let me know what youse think... we could try to get as many people involved as possible, Rathlin spinners, fireland spinners, other random poiples... drummers and the like.

Take care m'luvelies

xx

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Clare, you are an angel hug thank you so much for finding that cd, can you believe that there wasn't 1 record store in dublin that has it??

anyhooooo...... that's all sorted so i'm a happy bunny once again ubbrollsmile

regarding the HoP day, i don't know for certain if i'll be still here at the end of october. but, if i am then i'd definitely be up for a weekend somewhere. belfast is a good idea, we haven't had a gathering there yet so it's high time.

i've already promised aidan & sarah i'll come to cork for a day or two before i go also. i'll probably be moving out of my apartment before the 1st of october, back in with the folks for a few weeks, so unfortunately i won't be able to offer anyone a place to stay after september....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
No problems at all about the cd... glad to help (will bring it down, along with the firecds next week) biggrin

I guessed you may be away by the end of October... we'll definitely have to meet up in Cork before then... and hopefully the Belfast Convention will be before then too... but I guess we'll leave it til next month - plenty of time yet for such details.

I can't see the Irish SpherculHop day getting too huge... so I don't think there'll be any need for special organising... just the usual turn up and spin ubblol

But never fear, we'll definitely be meeting up a few more times before you leave - I need to learn stuff biggrin biggrin

Take care m'luvely

xx
hug

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Yes! Yes! Do something in Belfast!! I'll be there, with bells on.... ok, I can't promise bells, but I'll definately be there! It'd be great to have a weekend of fire to look forward to. I haven't burnt since the beginning of June...

I've discovered the learning benefits of practising poi in front of a mirror... the weather has been crap, so I took my poi to the gym and drilled all my basic moves for a bunch of bemused people on rowers, bikes and treadmills. And I have discoved the cause of a number of problems with trickier moves - I have a crap left hand. Even doing normal forward circles my left plane is off by about 30 degrees - and that's when I'm watching and trying to correct it. The rowers and runners laugh every time I smack myself in the head, but even the tough-dude boxer next to me ducked when I accidentally let go of a handle.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol!!!

Which gym did you go to?! My god, they must've been horrified biggrin Fair play, keep it up!!

I can't remember if I've given you my mobile or not... but I'll pm it to you... if it's a dry night on Friday or Saturday, give me a bell and I might take a drive up to belfarst.

Take care xx
hug

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
Hello my pretties

how is everyone today??

dragon proncess, u legend, i wouldnt have the balls to poi in the gym. impressing all those buff weightlifters with ur swingyness......although i do agree with the mirror, i sometimes close my back door and poi in the reflection of the window.

whats this bout a sphercal hop day?? oooh where can i find more info?? belfast, bring it on! i didnt know anything bout conventions til i was informed by a lovely deirdre in trinity on tues.

so gladd ur coming up on sun sarah. yee haa, all is going well with the dun laoghaire buzz. poi being made, and drummers are sorted!!!

oooh pray to whoever r whatever it is u worship that the rain stays far away

xxx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok poip's... bad news.

I phoned Belfast Circus School today... apparently there is no belfast convention this year (eek) - it's in Bristol instead. It must be something that moves around, I wasn't here last year (or the year before), so I didn't know much about it... oh well frown

I'm guessing none of us have the cash to do a mission to Bristol (unless you want to fly us all over Aidan biggrin?!!) Lol, so I reckon we should stick with the SpherculHop weekend thingme.

Anyways, check the Hop Day thread in the events section Laura... also log on to Spherculism.com... it's another spinning website, filled with really lovely people (though I haven't found any other Irish on there yet) but you'll find an entire forum dedicated to the weekend.

Am soooo looking foward to Monday - is anyone going to be free in the afternoon? Cos I might take myself to St Stephens green for a bit of practice (if, of course, it isn't raining or blowing a gale - goddam wet country rolleyes).

Take care
xx

284 posts

Posted:
For anyone that is still interested in going to Bristol: "The 16th Bristol Juggling Convention" is on at the 18th September! There is a thread about [Old link]

SARAH

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yes come!! I'm gonna be there and tons of others. It's gonna be great. I'll be there from the last thursday till sunday

But it doesn't move around, I think there have been something like 16 annual Bristol jugg fests

See you there I hope!! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Bah... so why isn't there a Belfast one?! frown

Oh well... am not sure, it's going to be expensive...

Is anyone else up for the trip? Can anyone else afford it?

xx

284 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Yes come!! I'm gonna be there and tons of others. It's gonna be great. I'll be there from the last thursday till sunday

But it doesn't move around, I think there have been something like 16 annual Bristol jugg fests

See you there I hope!! biggrin

Hey Babe, welcome to our little irish thread biggrin

I would love to come over... do you have a place for me to stay!?!? wink

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... bristol sounds tempting, but unfortunately i won't have the spondoolix. frown

no tengo dinero...
ik heb geen geld...
níl airgead tirim agam...

trying to scrape together every penny i can for my world odyssey which is due to begin in oct/nov.

oh well.... ubbrollsmile

and i do want to make a trip to either cork or belfast or both before i leave.

Page: ......