Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

Festival of World Cultures is coming up again, from August 25th- 27th in Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin.

This year I'm co-ordinating the street entertainment and busking side of the festival. If anyone is interested in doing some busking, it has to be arranged in advance, as you need a permit. Also, no fire acts (sorry!)

It's a hat only gig, but with 200,000 people on the streets, you can make serious money.

So, is anyone interested, what would you like to do etc? Bear in mind that I can't have 12 seperate poi acts, I have to have a variety of things, so the best option is probably for some of you to get together, with some drummers too, and have some fun. It's a great festival, and i'd recommend checking it out whether you want to busk or not.

The festival website is here , and if you're interested in busking email me at fwcbuskers@gmail.com - please don't use one of my many other accounts, as it gets messy!

Thanks hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
aidan, at the risk of sounding like and old moan redface will there be any parrafin in galway for this huuuuuuge fireshow? i'm heading down tomorrow morning so if you reckon it'll be the same as last weekend i'll bring some from here. last weekend i used that lamp oil and the ali from my staffs got so hot i got quite a few burns so i'd rather not play with that again. looking forward to seeing you all again hug

barry i'll see you in dublin on tuesday, will be there for a few days after galway

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes guys

Parafin is really really hard to get in Galweay so please bring some fuel with you...

There will be fuel for the huuuuge fireshow but its for the fire sculptor....

Love is the law.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Back from Galway and yes the Fire show was HUUUUGE! It was a good weekend, anyone know when the next convention is on?

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep, Clonakilty, end of the month smile

24 hour jugling Hall!!!

Rock!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hope you all had a great weekend...

So spill the beans... smile

How was the fire show? What incredible feats of skill and agility were on display? How many times did you say 'it can't be done!'?!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yes tell, prey tell. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
*putting the kettle on & sitting down to listen to all the great stor4ies from the GJC*

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Well, I heard there was a gas-powered fire sculpture, and Iain and the other Tribal Roots lads played some wicked drums?!

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
There was a fire sculpture, 60L of paraffin i think, if i remember well tongue, with a fire show, it was great fun but it was raining, but it was fun, but it was windy as well, but it was fire so it was fun... (i could go like that for ages biggrin ).
the first part (sculpture and show) was with a choir music, the second part (just fire spinning i think, i didn't see it, so i'm not sure) was with the drums.

On the friday night their was a lot of people on the beach, staves poi fans hoops clubs drums, fire and LED, it was really good as well, but there was rain... but there was fire...
Mairead and Hugh counted 109 people on the beach, but it was just the one they could see ( peace ) ... so we were quite a lot indeed.

Mmh... what else...

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Lucie, stop calling them staves it's driving me mad ubbloco and I agree the beach party ROCKED, the fire show KICKED A** and the rain SUCKED, but I had a great time anyway and we must have said "it can't be done" at least 500 times. Can't wait for Clonakilty bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce ubbrollsmile bounce2 bounce ubbtickled biggrin rolleyes those graemlins are fun juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley ubbrollsmile biggrin rolleyes

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Anyone got any details on the Clonakilty convention? Dates, venue, price etc.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

great... nice work lads grouphug

What's wrong with staves? It's the plural of staff after all smile

761 posts

Posted:
as i understand it, staffs is written staffs, but its pronounced staves.. isnt it?

clonakilty is the last weekend in august isnt it? im not sure me and the missus will be able to make it. she'll be finishing work on riverdance that weekend, and ive got tix for the daft punk gig on the friday. i hear that clonakilty is a great laugh. if me and LN arent there, rest assured. we WILL be there in tralee. gotta get as much convention fun out of this country before me and LN move to france.

Clare, like the new name.. may i ask where FurryTrees comes from?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

You and LN are moving to France?!

Yeep... eek

There shall have to be some kind of gathering/party type thing before that happens! When are you leaving?

Best wishes to your lady - hope she's enjoying Riverdance!! Sounds like fun smile

And you may indeed ask about the name... it's probably just temporary.

Went for a walk with Andy the other day and we discovered some trees that were furry and strokable... ubbidea

Damn, it's so complex and insightful rolleyes

ubblol

Nah, we had a splendid afternoon in the park so it's a little reminder of that for the time being...

761 posts

Posted:
awwww, thats so sweet.

were going to france around October '07. so i'll soon be starting my last year in Ireland for the next few years, wow!.but dont you wory, there will be pleanty a gathering between now and then and im sure we'll have a last final farewell next year. *sob* but we'll be abck, and we'll be going to every EJC from now on, and you can always come and visit us in our new house in Amiens.

LN is not realy enjoying riverdance, this is the 2nd year that she's been working on it and she is VERY fed up with it, ive seen the show twice, and thats more than enough. she's in bed sick for the next while too. she's been working far too much lately, 3 jobs kindof thing. so now she's under doctor's orders to relax.

Frenchy, did you bring your camcorder to the convention? what do you have t show off??
EDITED_BY: doctor_fandango (1154514227)

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey here's some info re: Clonakilty, it's 3rd hand info, I think it's originally from Boards.ie so I'm claiming no responsibility for any errors.

Good day to all ye Irish jugglers and listen to this great bit of news concerning the 1st Conakilty Juggling Convention. It will consist of 3 days of juggling madness, beginning on a friday (28th) with a spot of juggly stuff and a nice old fire night. The next day there will be lots of juggling, a few workshops (ill be doing 3,4,5 ball shower workshop, i think there will be a poi
workshop and maybe a few others, anyone is welcome to do anything), maybe a public show, still under consideration, there will be a venue for a renegade (has a stage, bar and is pretty funky). And
sunday will be games with lots of prizes. Oh there is also going to be camping either in the town, or a few km out of town (if so there will be a bus to transport people back and forth). Oh, there will be wristbands (or something), going at around 15 euro give or take a
bit. Ill need a list of people interested.
The organisers will be me (darragh btw, brother to ronan), ronan and eibhin. Any help would be great. Spread the word to all the jugglers
you know.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Sorry Doc, I wasn't really in much of a state to be looking after my very expensive camcorder so it stayed in the boot of my car. SORRY ubbcrying

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey frenchy

i reckon that was last years juggling convention... smile

last weekend in august was what i heard, with the hall open for 24 hours on the friday night...

from the horses mouth so to speak.

Love is the law.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
i'm going back to France mid August i think... but i will have to come back to take all my things out of my poor employers' house. I'll try to book my flights so i can come to Clonakilty! juggle

Mairead: STAVES STAVES STAVES STAVES STAVES STAVES

wink

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahh... well, please pass on my love and best wishes to LN...

Hopefully will get to visit you guys sometime!

smile

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Thanks Ado I would have been wandering around Clonakilty looking for a non-existant juggling convention ubbloco, anyone have any correct info? And Lucie I have an ass kicking with your name on it STAFFS, I'll give it to you tomorrow at busking and also don't go back to France we'll miss you ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying, stay here, I have a lovely shed you can stay in.

BekarPLATINUM Member
Best fire theatre of BY, PL and UA in 2007, Bychyna competition
54 posts

Posted:
Hello!

I'm sorry for the offtopic...
Can I ask some questions?

Are there a lot of people in Irish fire-community?
Do you know anything about irish hostorical reconstruction community?
Is there any events (festivals, selebrations, carnivals) in a field of fire-perfomance?
Is there any events (festivals, selebrations, carnivals) in a field of hostorical reconstruction?

Is it possible to peoples from Belarus (near Russia) to take part in such events?

What do you think?

Thank You!

(I'm a fire-spinner and a leader of fire dance theatre from Belarus. I'm also an Irish dance instructor and a leader of "Minsk Irish Dance School" 8)) so for me it's very interesting to travel Ireland and to visit Irish fire community...)
Sorry for my bad english...
Thank You!

Bekar.
Minsk, Belarus.

Best Regards, Aliaksej <span style="font-weight: bold">"Bekar"</span> Burnosenka,<br />Fire and Medieval Theatre <span style="font-weight: bold"> "DiGrease's Buffoon Theatre"</span> <br /> <br />e-mail: bekar@tut.by<br />phone: +375 29 5076263<br />Minsk, Belarus

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
those of you who were out busking last night will already know, but
for those of you that didnt hear, we have a big problem!!!!
we were in town busking last night and after about 20minutes or so the
guards came up to us and stopped us. they went on about having to have
a permit (which is a lie) so we went to check it out in pearse guarda
station and found out that the super intendant or whatever his title
is put down a new order to stop all buskers with fire and the throwing
of objects. they didnt say if this was only after a certain time or
not but its still gonna stop any fire busking we get to do. so konni
got the guys number and is organising a meeting with the guy who put
the order down and we're gonna try and get it fixed or at least see if
we can get a compramise or something.

i'll get back to you on it.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Bekar

There are loads and loads of Irish fire spinners. Its getting bigger every year. There is no organisation in ireland for fire spinners on a national level. But there are a number of seperate groups that do firespinning on a regular basis though.

There is a historical reconstruction community. In fact we will be doing a performance at a Medieval Festival soon. Send me a message if your interested smile

Are you in Ireland or in Minsk? Let us know where you are or if your visiting Ireland!!!

all the best

Aidan

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello Bekar!

Nice to kindof meet you smile and welcome to the thread...

The Irish fire community has grown hugely in the last couple of years and there are now people all over the country interested in these arts, to varying degrees...

I don't know much about historical reenactment societies, but you could ask here:
https://homepage.eircom.net/~localhist/
or follow their links to more info...

I have a fire performance group based in Belfast (Northern Ireland), there are also people working in Galway and Dublin. We work at festivals, parades, events and suchlike.

I'm sure you will be able to be involved in the historical reenactment groups... and you are very welcome to join us for our fire gatherings and juggling conventions that happen throughout the year around the country.

It would be good to get to know you first!

There are meetings in Dublin every Tuesday, also in Galway, and every fortnight in Belfast.

Best wishes
Clare

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Dave...

Where were you? And why were you stopped?

Have there been any problems with safety or leaving fuel on the pavement?

spiderhorseSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
hello people,

i should have posted this earlier cos i'm leaving in an hour but is anyone going to the leitrum festival this weekend.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have noticed a big increase in the amount of busking with fire recently. I'm not really in with it though, so it may have been happening for some time now and I only just noticed...

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the world busking championships this weekend either though....

I'm not a rules or permit man, but I would love to see a bit more clarity on law and rights so that we can know what we can and can't do.

If there a permit were to include necessary safety, crowd control and space logistics, I would tentatively support it provided it was fair and not designed to have less performance on the streets...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

761 posts

Posted:
omg, they want o put an end to fire busking on the streets of dublin , are they mad? please keep us posted on whats happening there.

Bekar, there is a spinner in dublin who is a member of a charity organisation that does alot of work for the chernobyl childrens fund.

let us know when you wil be coming over when you know more about when you'll be coming over.

dont think i'll be going to the juggling cLonvention frown

Page: ......