MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, the poll on the front page gave me an idea. I'm interested in where everyone has been. Me, I was an only child of two parents who liked to travel a lot, so I have done a fair amount:

I'm from the US. I have lived in Michigan and California. Within my own country, I have visited Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusets, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Virginia, Connecticut, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Florida, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, Washington state, and Puerto Rico (sort of U.S.). And I switched planes in Dallas, TX once. I might have clipped a corner of Vermont once, but never got out of the car.

Outside of the U.S., the list is about as big, let's go continent-by-continent:

North America:
Canada (BC, Ontario, and Quebec) and Mexico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Curacao, Dominicana, Jamaica, and I went through the Panama Canal but never got off the ship.

South America:
Ecuador, Chile, Brazil, and Argentina...and I was in the airport in Columbia (actually, not even...I got off the plane, stepped on the tarmac, and got back on the plane).

Antarctica:
Yup. Most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Australia/New Zealand:
Both countries.

Asia:
Had a lovely three hours in the old Osaka airport on the way to Australia.

Europe:
U.K. (England), Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Yugoslavia (back when it existed), Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, France, Finland, Russia, Poland, Estonia, Russia.

Africa:
Morocco (hopped over for a day from Spain)

Where have you guys been?

[ 05 June 2002, 11:16: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
geeze it might have been easier to name places you haven't been. I have been to every state except Nevada and colorado. and i have been to canada and mexico. pretty boring, but hey anyone who wants to fly me anywhere i am always available!
Molly

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachutes, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York (not just the city), New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, West Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan (both penninsulas), Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, California (northern and central), Oregon, Washinton, Texas, Tennesse, Kentucky.

Canada: Ontario and Quebec

Bahamas: Grand Bahama and the island Nassau is on.

West Germany (yes, it was west germany then. i was little. lived there about a year. means the red cross won't take my blood.)

that's it.

*sniff*

hopefully soon i get to add to that....

[ 05 June 2002, 07:16: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been to Sheffield....

Meh

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
i've only travelled around europe. best places have to be amsterdam (the craziest week of my life!!!) and skiing in the french alps.
going travelling to oz in november as i'm just finishing my alevels - its all i can think about! i can't wait! if anyone has any tips on travelling on the east coast of oz then send me an email coz any tips or anything travel related would b useful!!
hoping to go to thailand as well, the full moon party sounds amazing! anyone been?
just got to have a crap summer wrking to earn money, but once i'm outta here it'll all b worth it!!

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
North America:
Canada-Ontario, Alberta, Quebec....BC is next on ma list.
America-California, Nevada, Arizona, Massa...er, how do you spell it?, Boston, New York, Atlanta (for the olympics-sweet!)
Central & South America:
Mexico, Dominican Republic, Dominica, Antigua, Costa Rica, Venezuela & Jamaica
Europe:
England (lots o times), Holland (oh the memories..or lack thereof),Germany, Swizterland, France, Portugal, Spain.
Africa:
Egypt & Morrocco (spent 3 weeks in each place...most exciting and exotic places so far aside from the next one on ma list...)
Asia:
Japan (for the olympics-craziness)
Australia/New Zealand:
Australia (for the olympics-oi oi oi)

I luv to travel...MikeGinny...in fact I'm in the same situation as you...only child of parents who luv to travel...it's in ma blood

[ 05 June 2002, 09:05: Message edited by: SunSpot ]

Om Namah Sivaya

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
jumpin jeezes, and here i thot i wuz gettin around. you rock
every state in the states except ones in the very very middle. don't want to go there. too flat and "square". nuff said
canada, all over. i love canada! canadians kiss good
mexico
costa rican rainforests!!!!!!
"bermuda triangle" area all over and no i swear i wasn't abducted and replicated and imprisoned whilst my nefarious doppleganger creeps the net and f&^$ with people that need it

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've been to France a few times, although that was with my parents and I was too young to remember much more than the driving around and a field with loads of boulders all over the place.
My parents took me too Majorca once too, but I can't remember much of that either.

More recently (I actually remember it), I've been to Ireland twice - both for 2 weeks, Scotland once for 2 weeks, Amsterdam for 8 hours (the journey time was 13 hours each way, but we were bored and had a weekend free) and Austria for a week.

I fully intend to travel more, but I need to save up some money and find some way of getting a job when I get back first - having already experienced unvoluntary unemployment for about a year and having very few marketable skills, I'm not too keen on leaving the job I have unless I'm able to find another one fairly quickly upon my return.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Tee hee! Everyone says similar things about Amsterdam. I must be the only person who went there and DIDN'T get high. I figured that I was alone in a foreign city and I could get high whenever I wanted to at home. Why go wandering alone around a foreign city baked out of my gourd, legal or not?

Be that as it may, I picked up a bottle of absynthe while I was there (which I just finished the other night while watching "Moulin Rouge") and I spent an hour in a sensory isolation tank.

And I got a T-shirt that shows a guy toking a spliff with the words: "They say I was in Amsterdam but I can't remember!"

However, I will at some point go there, eat some lunchrooms, and go to the sculpture garden at the Kröller Möller (sp?).

-Mike

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
Let's see..Alabama (duh that's where I live, but there are some really odd little towns here that are really worth visiting) Georgia, Florida, Tenesse, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, California. When I was a kid I went with my parents to the Bahamas, England, Scotland...but I wasnt really quite old enough to really apprecate it.
I haven't been anywhere in years other than Florida and Georgia and if you've ever been to the south you'll know that it's all kind of the same. I'm trying to go over seas this fall, got to earn up enough money and the courage to travel by myself or find a traveling partner.

Life is serious, but art is fun!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh an interesting sensation - agreeing with Mr Ginny. I didn't get overly high either time I went to Amsterdam cos I could do the same back home. I just wandered round the big bright shiny city, dodged bicycles/trams, visited places etc.

I've been to Wales, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland and Spain. All on several occasions.

Meh

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm from Oz and like an awful lot of young Australians, I packed my bags a couple of years to see the world... got stuck in London, which is lots of fun, but not exactly seeing the world, tho!

Anyway, I love travelling and have seen lots of the UK, fave bits are the highlands of Scotland (I love Skye, and have been on the railway line from Fort William to Maillag, amazing), Orkney Islands neolithicness (Maes Howe tomb and Skara Brae are must sees if you are in the area), Wales, and Wiltshire (walking the ridgeway, the oldest road in Europe was fantastic... you could feel all the millions of people who have trod that same path over the last 5,000 years).

Outside of the UK, I adored Iceland. We went in February and I went skiing for the first time, spent hours lazing around in hot tubs while my hair froze (I do not lie!), saw the northern lights, got stranded in a blizzard... Iceland's where it's at, folks.

I've been to Oslo and parts of Norway, but not the Fjiords. I was staying with a Norwegian friend in Oslo, and she kept moaning about how urban and dirty Oslo was, whereas to my jaded London eyes, Oslo is beautiful, so clean, so clear, so crisp. My favourite thing in Oslo is the Viglandsparken, a sculpture park. If you're in that part of the world, check it out.

Seen Paris, parts of Italy, Vienna and Salzburg, but they're not high on the list. I'm a nature lover, I think. I adore the wild country, those places where you feel closest to the earth... In europe, it's the north sea that really speaks to me the most, although I love Spain. I stayed with a family in Grenada for a few weeks once, which was a riot, and I thought the costa brava was magnificent. However my favourite spot was a national park near a small town in the foot hills of the pyrenees (sp?) which contains the remains of about 20 tiny volcanoes. Walking through these small volcanoes, through Europe's southern most beech forests, is a special memory.

My brother has moved from Australia to Italy to live with his Italian girlfriend, and I'm looking forward to the insider's perspective from him.

As for the states and canada, sadly my travelling there has been limited to visiting relatives - one aunt in Nova Scotia (my first snow (that I can remember) and my first white christmas rolled into one!) and another aunt in San Francisco, a lovely, lovely city. My aunt gave me the choice of skiing at her in-law's mountain cabin, or going to see Yosemite, and as one of my life's ambitions, ever since I saw Captain Kirk fall off el capitan in Star Trek VI is to see Yosemite, that was my choice, and boy did it live up to expectations. To see the States and Canada in greater depth is a long term plan.

Africa, sadly not yet, and the same for South and Central America and Antarctica. I'm sooooo jealous you have seen Antarctica, Mike!

As for Asia, well when I was fourteen I lived in Indonesia for 6 months as an exchange student. I've since travelled through a lot of Indonesia and I love it so much. Fortunately, my home town is Darwin and Indonesia is on the doorstep. I am looking forward to many, many years of exploring Indonesia when I'm no longer up to long-haul flights. China and Indo-china are a must at some point. They are second on the agenda after Africa, which I am hoping to 'do' in late next year (before the Poi thingy in NZ).

And, I know it's strange to list your own country last, but hey, that's Australians for you, I spent my teenage years in Darwin which is a very unique part of Australia in itself, I went to Uni in Brisbane, have grandparents in Hobart and lots and lots of family in Sydney, which pretty much sums up my travels in Australia with the exception of a week in Broome and a week in lovely Melbourne. Haven't been to NZ, but I'm looking to Poi (and lots of kiwi friends I've met in London) to remedy that!

And congratulations to everyone who has read this far... this is a mammoth post, sorry! But I hate lists unless they have a bit of qualitative information too. After all, enjoyment, and discovering new things about ourselves and the world we live in is what travel is all about.

If anyone is interested in travel stories (I've written some here too,) check out www.worldsurface.com, and the best general travel site I've come across is www.lonelyplanet.com, although I know there are a lot more out there also.

moonwatchermember
14 posts

Posted:
From UK,

Been to: France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Cyprus, Holland, Greece, Ireland, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Indonesia.

Quite a poor list really, but When I travel i prefer to stay in one place for a long time to really get a feel for it.
I'm sure that my list will steadily improve!

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
Dear origonal messenger,

Have you just posted this message to piss off the rest of us?

I'm with the person who has just been to Sheffield; travelling is over rated anyway; so stop depressing the rest of us with your list longer than my arm with places you've travelled.

The bigger the pants the better!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I went Bognor Regis once, it were great, fish n chips for dinns, hankie on the head, british shorts, ee by gum, it were time of life!!!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sepa,

Iceland during winter was never on my "to do" list before. Thanks very much. It's on the list now.

Moonwatcher,

I hear Malaysia is gorgeous and a lot of fun. How was it?

-Mike

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
Halo !

Well i ventured into the dangerous world that is Sunderland... dun dun dun...

no seriously, here we go

From UK,
lived in

CANADA
Nova Scotia (Kentville, near Halifax)
SCOTLAND
Balmarino (near Dundee)
Glasgow (Coatbridge)
Edinburgh
ENGLAND
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Manchester
Birmingham (well, Nuneaton)
IRELAND
Dublin (Swords)
FRANCE
Corde sur Ciel (near Carcassone)
ITALY
Venice

visited
Dalmatia (part of old Yugoslavia)
Sicily
Sardinia
Belgium
Euro Disney (!)
SPAIN
Alicante, Barcelona, Est A Ti (sp?), Minorca, Majorca and Ibiza
Tenerife
Amsterdam

And i'm off to Oz in December, back to Canada the year after and Japan the year after that.

Oh and my family hate travelling, i'm the only one with the bug...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
every state but washington,montana,n dakata s dakotaidaho oregan,wyoming,wisconson,colorado,louisana,
eastern canada
mexico
macedonia
bulgaria

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.....

UK:
London, Oxford, Reading, Salsbury/Aimsbury, Plymouth, Dover, Blackpool, Dublin, Dingle, Galway, Cross, Belfast, Derry, Edenburough, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, and a few other cities that I can't recall off hand.

US:
Denver (Obviously), LA, Sandiego, Las Vegas, Reno, Carson City, Chicago, New orleans, Kansas City (Kansas and Missouri), A few parts of Maryland and D.C., Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Saltlake, Tahoe, and most recently SanFrancisco and Santa Cruz. And about a million places that really aren't even worth mentioning

Canada:
Toranto and Voncouver

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sepa, you're not related to Pele by any chance?
That was some post. I didn't know there were that many words.....

To the sulky kid (Azie) you not a happy bunny? Want to talk about it? Did a travel agent scare you as a child?

Meh

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
*chuckle*

No, I'm not related to Pele (although I'd be very proud to be!).

I just get carried away sometimes!

Yes, Iceland, Iceland, Iceland, Iceland, Ice ice ice ice... If you do make it, Mike, I hope you love it as much as I did.

To those who find this thread either depressing or irrelevant, to be honest, I have a certain degree of sympathy. I think us "travellers" tend to put ourselves above people who aren't interested in travelling, or don't feel brave enough or whatever, but I think that's really wrong. I went to Uni with one of the truest, most generous, good-spirited girls you will ever meet, but, although she sympathises with my need to travel, she has no desire to go herself. It doesn't make her any less of a person than me, she's just different. In many ways, I really admire her. By the time she's 50 she will be a backbone of her community. She's the sort of person who keeps our communities alive for us travellers to come home to!

What I do find annoying is the huge numbers of people who say "oh, you're so lucky you got to travel"... there's no luck about it! I make so many sacrifices to travel, I work hard, I save hard, I'm living isolated from my family, I have no assets to fall back on should times get hard, and I am continually taking myself out of my comfort zone and learning hard lessons about myself.

What it all boils down to, I think, is be proud of however you do decide to live your life, and make sure that you live your life to the fullest, no matter how much, or how little, of the world you see.

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
sepa, i'll drink to that!!

have a nice day

peace and love
Acid

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure i've ever seen a triple post before...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
ain't it lovely Kyrian?!
yeah well my computer is getting to the age of teething so he's kinda a brat. he'll get over it soon and there'll be only one post at a time.
*bastard comp*

anyway, have a good day

peace and love
Acid

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
well, I've visited every county in England. I've been to Scotland, Wales, and Ireland too. Right, now for the outside the brittish Isles bit.
Been to:
France
Germany
Belgium
America - (travelled down the whole of the east coast by train)
Canada
errmmm..... thats it.
hey, how about metaphysically speaking? Been to lots of different places, but they don't really count as the real world now do they?

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
You have a very important point, there, Spiral.

If travelling is about learning about yourself first and the world second, then there are an awful lot of other journey's it's possible to make without stepping foot outside your home town.

Anyone who is disabled, has been abused or raped, has suffered chronic illness, physical or mental, ever suffered some sort of debilitating and / or agonising injury (especially if isolated from help), ever bought up children, or been caught up in a war, well they have travelled just as far if not farther than someone who's been solo around the world 3 times.

[ 07 June 2002, 21:30: Message edited by: Sepa ]

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
I've been around a bit and been to some incredible places on this amazing planet. I find travelling very condusive to having great experiences, but that's what it is really about, the experiences. Amazing experiences can be had by anybody who decides to have them and seeks them out, wherever they are. Hearing travelling stories that start with a list of places/countries that people have been to kinda turns me off.
Every new place can be full of new experiences, so travelling can be mind opening, but still quality is more important than quantity.
How would a year spent living with aborigines in some remote south american country compare to 6 months of plane hopping?
A lot of people do more 'travelling' (ie really living) without going far from home than others that set foot on every continent.
How many people here agree with me that this preference for quantity over quality is one of the major factors contributing to the decline of western civilization?
P.S. I mean no offence to anybody, it's just me opinion.