Forums > Other Toys > Fire spear- has anyone tried this?

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I eventually want to get into fire dancing. I'm already pretty good with normal poi, and would like to kick it up a notch or two one of these days. Now, I was told by an experienced poi spinner that fire staff is easier to start with than fire poi. And this got me thinking. What about fire spear? You have only one lit end to worry about, and since you're dealing with a toy roughly 5-6 feet long overall, the flaming end won't be nearly as close to your body as it would be with a shorter staff.

Is this an accurate assessment? The poi spinner I talked to agreed with me.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty good with weapons already, especially sword and staff. And also, are there comprehensive instructions for making fire staffs out there? I figure I could modify those to get a decent spear to play with. And BTW, I intend to get lots of practice with this thing before I ever light it up!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Hmm...

There is a guy here in Houston who does Fire Spear. He's done martial arts for years, specifically Wushu Kung Fu. However, I'm not sure he started with this or not.

If you're already good at Staff, I think going that route isn't a bad idea.

I started off with Poi, and still find it easier than staff, but that's just me. I think it all depends on your personal comfort zone.

Glad to see you're planning on lots of practice before lighting up, though!! biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
from what i've heard poi to staff is easier than staff to poi... so if you ever plan on spinning poi i'd advise starting with it.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wushu spear forms involve more thrusting/striking forms, patterns and stances.
typical-staff-twirlage-as-we-know-it™ is a circular affair.
There is overlap there for the twirler creative enough to exploit it whilst pleasing martial arts and twirling experts. peace
not that it is important!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
one thing about fire spear is that you would have to construct the spear in a way that people would know that it was a spear when on fire (instead of a half wicked staff...)

like bender says, there's definitely enough overlap that you can combine staff and spear forms...
(melding of forms, kinda like this graemlin!)
hug

Sometimes, you just have to believe.