Page:
Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I've learnt all the moves on "The Art of Poi" video and a couple others, but now I'm stuck for what to do. How do I find new moves, cos as much as it is fun to simply stand in your garden all day just waiting for a piece of inspiration to hit you I'd really like a whole lot of new moves I can learn.
HELP ME PLEASE! confused

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if you can learn from text, try just looking in this forum smile

if you can download video's from the internet, try the video forum smile

good day smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
just swing the poi around wildly.. I'm sure you'll find something..

or you could opt for coleman's EASY way out..

wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm a little confused - Flame Boy, did you try looking down the list of threads in the "Poi Moves" section? There's quite a lot of inspriation there biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Have you learnt everything forwards then backwards and then left dominant and then right dominant? Then do as many as you can BTB and BTH and BTL and then BTB & BTH & BTL backwards left/right dominant etc too. Its a good way to learn new stuff and evolve new moves out of the old ones.

Where you from? Got anyone you can meet up with?

Other than that vids are the best by far. Have fun smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys.

Bug: I don't know anyone anywhere I can poi with, if it weren't for HOP I would think me and one guy I saw in Kenya were the only ones who even knew about it (sad I know)! I live in Salisbury, Wiltshire, so if you know anyone else in this area perhaps you could put them in contact with me?

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
I'm in a similar boat.. If it weren't for HOP I would have stagnated and eventually stopped a long time ago (after having learned the weave and the butterfly) :laughs:

So far still trying to figure out how to improvise stuff with what I already know (which isn't really much)... Getting used to being beaten black & blue by tennisballs that seem to have a mind of their own! wink

I do meet up with a group however during the weekends. We try to figure out different moves and such... However the scope is still somewhat limited.

which video would you guys recommend?

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
You're lucky you have other people to bounce new ideas off, I'm on my own apparently. I know what you mean about being beaten black and blue tho, the flame pois with a metal core really hurt when they hit the back of your head! spank It's like being hit with a big stick!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Katch

which video would you guys recommend?

how to

ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
owww yes biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, how to would be a great vid to learn from if it were actually ONLINE!

PK~> spank

Can also suggest my video, Dynamik Dysfunktion, as it has a decent amount of moves in there and good lighting so you can see whats going on.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
learn to do everything isolated

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and of course you could also go here for some choice video tutoridge stylee biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Flame boy... See what I did was I gathered a group of friends, taught them everything I knew. Now we're all off trying to learn something new and so when someone discovers something, we share. Getting hit at the back of the head really does hurt... but not as much as the shock of getting hit on the face when your poi's supposed to be travelling behind you spank I've discovered though that tennis balls hurt more.. especially when a bit of weight has been added... when I learned the reverse weave, it was under-over-ouch most of the time instead of under-over-out. :lol

Oli, after reading a handful of posts, I still can't figure out what an isolation is... I don't think I've ever seen one. smile

Icon. I have downloaded your video wink I can't view it though as Mac doesn't seem to have an AVI converter for OSX. Missing out on the really good videos too...

Thanks guys! Will keep trying...

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I get new moves by praying at an altar composed entirely of card-board cut-outs of Barbara Streisand and celery.
that and i practice during lunch.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Katch, Im pretty sure there is a Mac version of the DivX codec at www.divx.com/divx

That should allow you to watch my video as well as any others encoded with DivX.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: Katch

Oli, after reading a handful of posts, I still can't figure out what an isolation is... I don't think I've ever seen one. smile

weelll, its basically where the centre of rotation for the poi moves from your hand to a point in between your hand and the poi head. looks damm cool.

rolleyes

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Isolations are my current PIA
Try spinning with just one hand and watch your hand. It sort of wobbles to counter the weight of the poi head. Try to accentuate that wobble untill your hand is moving in a circle the same direction as the poi. You'll notice the center of the chain is now in the middle and your hand is still countering the poi head.
That's the basic isolation have fun with it, darn near every skill can be isolated. Which is what I'm working on now too biggrin It's like learning poi all over again.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Icon! clap clap clap Great video... really enjoyed it... man, there's a lot that I still need to learn though... smile I think you'll do well with your workshops biggrin

Cody... I think I need to re-train my hands... biggrin at least now I can visualize what it is exactly I need to achieve...

Oli, you're right... it does look cool!

Thanks guys!

-Franklin P. Jones

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I agree with katch - what the smeg is an isolation?! ubbidea

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
IM FROM SALISBURY WILTSHIRE im not an amazing spinner but im oka i spose. we should meet up!!!

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

WRAITHnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hmm Isolation ..

SOUNDS WICKED got to have a look at that.

weavesmiley

That is not Dead which can eternal lie,
Yet with strange aeons even Death may Die.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Learn to do everything straight-arm i.e. a straight-arm weave is where one arm is extended fully... it's just a normal weave but looks very different because of that. There are straight-arm variations on all the weaves and TTNs, lots to learn smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Hi grace, I'm not amazing either, we should meet up, I'm free whenever (just about). What do you suggest?
bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
are u online now??? if so are u on msn??? we should meet this week i need to do some practise for falmouth this weekend, are u going?>

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I'm not msn, I'm AOL.
Hang on...bloody hell...you sent that post at quarter past 7 in the morning...are you crazy?! wow

Is that from staying up too late, or getting up too early? ubbtickled

Dunno if you've got it yet but I've sent you a PM.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
FlameBoy - i'm in the same boat.

I've got through about half of the book i bought at Glastonbury and the things i have left to do are too difficult at the moment (can't quite get them) and the things i can do i have off pat. I'm now stuck for some intermeadiary moves using the ones i can do to keep progressing until i get the hang off the harder moves.

I can do: Hip Reels (alternating and together (mexican wave?)), Shoulder Reels, Butterfly (and behind head), three beat weave forwards and backwards, Low, reel and high turns and the cockscrew.

Are there any moves that you can construct from these that i've already learnt that look pretty good.

Ideas Please???

Gayle.....!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
yea man, you add all those moves together, reverse them and come out with 1 hell of a combo!

Why not just learn waist wraps, easy enough, then you can go from weave into corkscrew in reverse weave and waist wrap your weaves.

Or split b-fly combo, i actually posted a split b-fly thread and have a video but noone read it...it must have been to easy. Hell ill even add the video if u really want some moves.

Seriously...take any move you know and combine it to another move you know, that what its all about. biggrin

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I can combine all the ones listed above and kept alternating between them all but then i get bored and want to do something new.

How do you do a waist wrap? - i think it's in my book somewhere but looked a bit complicated. Do you know where there might be a video of it?????

Or even a split b-fly combo? how?

Please send me videos.

Gayle.....!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
If you've already nailed the 3 beat weave, try the 5 beat weave, and then do it backwards, also the overhead weave weavesmiley

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
overhead weave sounds interesting. Do you just raise it above your head or is it more complicated than that?

I'd appreciate instructions for waist wraps, windmills, hipmills and the like........

Gayle.....!

Page: