Forums > Social Chat > HAPPY JUBILEE EVERYONE!!

Login/Join to Participate

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
lets all celebrate 50 glorious years...or something.
At least we have an extra day off. Which is nice.

[ 04 June 2002, 22:28: Message edited by: Wikkaman ]

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
hey wikkaman, 50 years of what? doesn't matter really does it? the extra day off is all I care about, and u can shove the union flag where... well, lets just stick to our imagination shall we?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Jeez. It's not as if she's done anything in those 50 years is it?

One word Queeny : Legalise!!

She's got the power, I think it's time she used it

Still, any excuse for a BBQ - Someone pass the sausages.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
well,at least the jubilee means double time at work! yup=i get to sit inside listening to customers while the rest of ya get to enjoy the sun! BAS**RDS!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hey, any excuse for a party, right?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
I think I'll edit my post so my sarcasm shows a little more.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
What?!! No emotional tears, no swelling heart at the patriotism of the moment!? I'm sadly shocked and saddened.

I can't get over the lack of God save the Queen at the rock concert on Monday... I guess the monarchy IS being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Actually, I had friends who went into London for a bit of a sticky beak (and the world music festival in Hyde Park was a bit of an added inducement) and they had a great time, the atmosphere rocked, apparently.

Love that 4 day weekend, though. Could do with those all the time.... see, she IS useful for something!

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
50 years of clinging onto being slightly important without having to do much for it.....
Well at least they're a half decent tourist attraction, and it gives Britains muppets something to think about other than who did what in Coronation Street. Although that's probably all they've done for us over the last decade.
Fucking royals.....
Ooooo what a horrible thought - shagging one of the royal family.
**Leaving to take cold shower with wire brush**

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Some pretty harsh words from everyone to be fair.

I disagree.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
PYROPHILE!!

Explain thyself, ye pro-reptilian weirdo!

Az abouve, So below...

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Yes, the four day weekend is a great concept until you realise they just pinched a Bank holiday from May and moved it to June instead. We didn't actually get any more days off this year...so that's just sucky...

Still, we all had a great time, didn't we? Well, those of us that got moved off Leicester Square for "creating a crowd" did. You'll never guess what we were doing!

Go Queeny Go! Let that cute little grandson of yours on the throne! Now that would be interesting...a king half the population would like to marry - maybe we'll even have our own little Cinderella story in the UK?

Cheers,
C

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
Hey, that party in Wales ended up being nearer to Bristol. I had a chat with VDU-tan-boy yesterday & he said it was wicked, loads of fire, techno, booze & drugs.

Save money: ban politicians, nuclear weapons and all the aristocracy, except as tourist attractions. Choose leaders by a process of drunkenness, bare knuckle fights and their ability to take the blame.

primat e

(The first sermon was given in Lichfield. Blessed be the Sabbath. Blessed be Lichfield)

*edited in the name of 'TDO(tm)'. Sorry.*

[ 08 June 2002, 01:45: Message edited by: primate ]

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
As far as I understand it, we're getting one extra day holiday this year in total. We normally get two in May and one in August plus Christmas etc, and we had 1 in may, 2 in June and we're still having the one in August.

I am a republican when it comes to Australia, but I'm not so sure about Britain, to be honest. I think most people get a lot of pleasure out of having her as head of state. Deciding which of the many alternatives is best can be a bit problem, as Australia found out.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
What alternatives? What some people that believe in the sysytem don't realise is there are some people out there that want to get rid of the system and replace it with nothing. It worked in the mesolithic, theres no reason why it can't work like that today. Except for this thing, that most if not all of us are guilty of suffereing from - selfishness, and greed. Maybe not in my lifetime, maybe not ever, but one day I hope, people will see the whole picture, and realise how much damage capitalism is doing, and that there are viable alternatives. Do you really think its the polititians that are in control?

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Spiral, by alternatives, I meant questions that emerged from the constitutional conventions in Australia when they were discussing becoming a republic - like who will be head of state? How will they be selected? by Public vote? by choice of parliament? What no one seems to ask is whether a head of state is needed at all... that seems to go without saying.

It's easy to underestimate the constitutional role of the Queen until she (or, as in Oz, her representative) steps in, which happened in 1975 in Oz when the GG sacked a Prime Minister.

But, no I don't believe the government is in control - no one group is solely in control. The system of governance that prevails in those Western countries I know is a more "corporatist" one (is that the right term? Someone help me out here with my political theory!) that is, our lives are run by the give and take of competing interest groups... to be honest, that's what makes politics so fascinating! The three accepted "powers" - the legislature, the judiciary (particularly in common law countries) and the administration are major players, but corporations, interest and lobby groups, charities, global and domestic financial regulators, and to a massively reduced extent, religious organisations and morals are what rule us. To be honest, I like it that way.

[ 07 June 2002, 22:14: Message edited by: Sepa ]