Forums > Social Chat > occupations v twirling

Login/Join to Participate

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
how much does your twirling interfere with your work? (or vice versa) what is your work? will you ever work as a twirler? do you like your job?

just interested, ignore if you will

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
i work in a call centre. great fun - i get to talk to customers about their internet. woohoo! luckily i can use the internet between calls so end up looking on HOP as a distraction.
take my poi with me to wrk so spin on lunch. wrking evenings is the best as can have a lie in and then get home when its dark with all night to fire spin before next shift! when i go travelling im gonna try busking with one of my mates who juggles. dont know how succesful we'll be as have never busked before but getting a bit of cash for doing something id b doin anyway seems like a good plan!

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
...and no my job sucks! but money is an important part of life. sadly. needed for when i travel. only 5months to go...

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
oooh! travel! where to?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Spinning is one of my jobs. Actually, the more accurate statement is performing is one of my jobs, of which spinning is a part of it. And actually, it was never a hobby. I was a performer first and took it up to work it into my act. I love it but it is work, and sometimes painful work. It does not come with alot of money at all or a tonne of prestige, but signing autographs is fun, and some of the people I have had the honor to know through this has made it all worthwhile.

I am actually ready to move on though, add in something more...so not only am I adding tools but also expanding my physical abilities. I will be taking more dance, capoeira and in the fall circus arts classes. In this business you need to stay on top of the game (and it is a game) so that the novelty doesn't wear off.

But it is good for now. I am hoping to retire from performing in about ten years or so. I love it but at the end of a day, I am worn out. There is so much more than spinning that goes into it, I might as well have an office job for all the paperwork I do!

Other than that I work with plants and reptiles, I write and I teach bellydance, all professionally. They all kind of fit together so none of them really impede my vision of the others.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I think spinning was a contributing factor to me failing university this year

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral:
I think spinning was a contributing factor to me failing university this year
really? wow, for me it oddly did the opposite. Before poi, jello = stressed, angry, depressed. After poi, jello = relaxed, focused, happy. Results from one semester of poi, 3.846 gpa for that semester. Sure, ok, there were many other factors which helped to make my life and grades better, but poi did work very well as a stress reliever. I can't work when I'm mad, so when I got mad I just messed around with my chains and no more anger So for me they help me in my occupation as a college student.

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
yeh-spinning has definitly not helped with my alevels! since i started ive gotten into juggling & contact juggling - both equally addictive (and frustrating) which take up the time i should b spending revising. ah well. we all know which is more enjoyable!
adren@line-i'm planning to go to oz in nov for hopefully a year or so. if my money and enthusiasm last that long!! can't wait to get out of sunny england! want to go skiing in nz as well. so many plans! fire poi on a beach abroad is so appealling!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As I mentioned on the other post I had to drop out of my kickass fire troupe because my day job of being a HS teacher was far too demanding to allow me to stay up past sunset. Granted, I was low man on the totem pole of the posse but it was a nice group of people and good times were had.

The only saving grace I find is having large vacations where I can (and will) immerse myself in firespinning.

This summer, watch out Paris!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
My twirling IS my work

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
My twirling staff's work is to stop me from working by starting me staffing.
Goat cheese does not taste like goat.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm a medical student. I hate being a medical student. But that makes sense. It wasn't my life-long ambition to go to medical school. It's my ambition to be a doctor. And that part I'll love, I know it in my heart.

What does spinning have to do with it? Not a hell of a lot, I should say. But how many fire spinning doctors do you know?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Well, i work in an animal shelter, and i love it although it pays very little. Spinning is relaxing for me, and does not interfere with my work. In fact, building up my shoulders helps when handling perky 95lb dogs...
I don't expect ever to make a living spinning, but i will prob do some paid performances in future, and expect to do some busking with it whenever i get around to doing some more traveling...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
well i'm a student so have lots an dlots of spinning time during the week. But when everyone else is spinning at the weekend and having fun at the park, i'm at work in a record store (brilliant i admit but still a till tart)and wondering why i'm not at home...

grr, its where i am right now actually, in the internet cafe bit which is ALWAYS good

two hours till home time!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I´m not working right now. But when I was it was never a problem. Then again, I worked from 10pm to 6am, so that could be why. On Weds. I would get the first two hours of my shift covered so I could go to Fireplay LA.
I´d work as a twirler if I was better at it and felt it wasn´t compromising the artistic integrity of it.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
Aurian, can you come visit me in Tasmania?? I have a spare room which means its free accomodation...
pleaseohpleaseohplease!

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
work? fuck that. i just hustle tourists at the beach that way i can practice and turn a buck at the same time!

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Waiddaminute waiddaminute...

Man Behind the Curtain, "May you travel far and live in interesting times." An old Chinese curse, right?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
twirling doesn't interfere with my work at all. its quite the opposite. I just got this new job, and our weekly meeting is at the same time as my fire group, but I need the money more than I need to miss an employee meeting. don't get me wrong, I love my job as much as anyone could love getting to drive around and play with knives, while getting to make up my own schedule for the most part. but damn I'm gonna miss spinning with my poi group tonight.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
breakdown staff + compact poi make me come back from lunches in the city like a sweaty office gimp. people get worried.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always