Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hooray, i just had my first audiance. I was just practacing in my driveway out the back of the house and a bnch of people walkng past saw me and stopped to watch. I had my back to them when they got there and didn't know they were there until i did a spectactular finish by attempting a throw and dropping the staff in to the gard which was damp from the rainand the flames went out. Was about to walk off and get it when i heard clapping. So i turned around a took a bow. Great feeling though. Anybody else got an first time stories?

That's fire play first time stories, let's try and have a nice clean thread for once...

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
When I first started out at uni I was in my front garden spinning my staff and I also had a similar experience. When I finished spinning I saw that about 10 people had congregated to watch just up the road a bit and some people were even leaning out of their windows. I felt a great pride from being able to entertain them...

One other time I was with a few friends on Myrtle Beach in South Carolina and I decided to do some spinning blindfolded. When I put it on there was only my friends there but somehow by the time I finished about 5 minutes later there was a crowd of about 50 people standing there clapping! Weird, but very nice.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
odd, i tried the same thing. Started twirling to a crowd with a blindfold and when I took it off there was no one there...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For some reason I believe that Durbs! LOL

I used to practice with my comet set out front. A bucnh of my neighbors were watching, unbeknownst to me, and when I got done the man across the street brought his grandbaby over to see closer and they commented that it was nice to have a magician in the neighborhood.
That made me feel good.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Magiacian? How the hell di d they get that

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
went to a gathering at a mates, huge field with dj,& loads a people. only got my chains a few days before and had brought them along. went away from everyone with a mate who had my electroglos and we started having a spin. i think the best thing about fire is the noise as i can disapear into my own world as im spinning. noone else exists. when they had gone out i looked up and everyone had gathered around watching and clapping. brillient feeling haivng practiced for so long and then actually spinning fire in front of people. makes u feel loads more confident when people are genuinly impressed!

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
i met a friend at a fest a few months and he gave me the chains, it was puoring down rain and he gave them to me and I started to play without fire. By the time I lit up the first time everyone was leaving. I found out the next day everone leaveing thought it was so cool that we were playing with fire in the rain that they bought memberships and we were told we could come to land for free anytime as long as we play with fire!
Molly

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
The first time I lit up, I was in the street in front of my apartment. Right away I heard someone from down the road yell "Woah! Hey Mike get out here!" and then this big group of guys came running down the street to see what I was doing, people saw them running by and came out to see what was going on and pretty soon the whole neighborhood was out there watching.

Ive been hooked ever since.

I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
my first real audience was on the lawns where i usually twirl with my twirling buddies and the sailors from the John C Stennis came out of the pub with their drinks and formed a bit of a crowd, then the locals joined in and we just kept spinning and they just kept watching!

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I was practising outside my flat at uni one night and when my wicks burned out I stopped, shut my eyes and took a deep breath, was about to resoak when I got a round of applause, I was by myself when I started, who was claping? turns out there was a party in one of the flats up the road, and one of the people had seen me spin, and they'd all piled out. that was kind of odd.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I never spin fire unless at least one other person is around.

However, I have gotten quite a few "uninvited" audiences. I was practicing outside in front of my house and cars kept honking as they went past. And passers-by kept stopping to gape. When I'm practicing, my eyes are generally focused on a point one meter in front of my face and I'm oblivious to my surroundings (other than knowing where the pois are), so until they made noise, I really didn't realize they were there.

Best unexpected audience I ever had was when I was spinning fire at a party at my house. A cop pulled up. I decided to keep going. When my act was finished, he came up and said "Listen, I really shouldn't be saying this, but...can you do that again?"

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura