Forums > Social Discussion > Can you watch tv tonight - urgent?!!!

Login/Join to Participate

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there everyone...

Could anyone reading this in the UK please watch a programme on BBC1 tonight?!!
It's called Secret Agent... read the story below for more information.
Anyways, it's on in 15 minutes (9pm) - sorry for the late notice.
Problem is... I'm in work, and can't watch it. But if you do, maybe you could let me know the kind of things said?!
Either way, it should prove an interesting documentary...
Thanks again
take care xx

By Dave Higgens
PA News

Community leaders, MPs and Muslim groups all condemned the BNP yesterday, ahead of the screening of an undercover documentary featuring party activists confessing to committing racially-motivated crimes.
Local representatives in the Bradford area of West Yorkshire where much of the BBC film was shot said the incidents featured in the programme show the “true nature” of the far right party.
One called for Home Secretary David Blunkett to act against the BNP.
The Muslim Council of Britain said the events portrayed in the film showed the need for a new law forbidding incitement to religious hatred.
The film shows BNP leader Nick Griffin condemning Islam as a “vicious, wicked faith” – and claiming he would face seven years in prison if he made the comments in public.
A BBC reporter who spent six months undercover with the BNP recorded another of the group’s members, Steve Barkham, confessing to taking part in a racially-motivated attack on an Asian man during the 2001 Bradford riots.
Yesterday, magistrate Bary Malik, president of Bradford’s Ahmadiyya Muslim Association said he was “shocked but not surprised” by the content of the programme.
Mr Malik said: “The BNP has been a racist organisation from day one but they’ve hidden their true face.
“This programme shows the nature of the BNP and I hope people get that message.
“The majority of people in this country are tolerant and civilised and will condemn the extreme and sick views of the BNP.
“I hope David Blunkett will take some action. The Home Secretary should see there’s no room for a party like this.”
The film includes party leader Mr Griffin telling a meeting in Keighley: “You’ve got to stand up and do something for the British National Party because otherwise they (Muslims) will do for someone in your family.
Yesterday, Keighley’s Labour MP Ann Cryer said the documentary exposed as a sham the BNP’s claims they were now a respectable party.
She said: “If people think they are voting for a normal party they are mistaken.
“They have a very intense hatred of people’s religion and colour. They’re playing on the fears of the white community in Keighley.
“I hope this will be a wake-up call to those who support them.”
In parliament the BNP was dubbed a party of “vile Nazis and thugs” by Commons leader Peter Hain as all sides of the Commons condemned the far-right group.
Mr Hain was responding to mention of Calder-dale council’s recent decision to appoint a BNP councillor to its racial equality and community cohesion working party.
Mr Hain quoted remarks made in the programme by BNP member Stewart Williams about wanting to machine-gun Muslim worshippers with “about a million bullets”.
He said: “This is a statement of the vilest kind by a vile party of Nazis and thugs and the sooner we confront them and beat them the better.”
Shadow Commons leader Oliver Heald said: “I’d just like to make it clear on behalf of the opposition that we do contest seats against the BNP everywhere in the country and we do passionately disagree with their views.
“It is in all parts of the House that we hate their creed.”
Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “The BNP have long been exploiting a loophole in our current legislation which outlaws incitement to racial hatred, but does not forbid incitement to religious hatred.
“This lacuna in law has allowed the BNP to modify the focus of its poisonous invective explicitly against the British Muslim community.
“This documentary provides additional evidence of the immense harm this is doing to community relations in our country and confirms once and for all that there is a direct link between the vile and hateful language of the BNP and serious acts of criminal violence.”
BNP chairman Mr Griffin has said two of the activists featured in the film would be expelled from the BNP.
He has accused the programme-makers of selectively editing the speech he is seen
delivering and challenged the authorities to prosecute him.
He said: “If Mr Blunkett wants to put me on a show trial about whether we’re entitled to warn about the dangers of Islam, I will be absolutely delighted.”
None of the BNP’s four councillors in Bradford could comment on the programme yesterday.
Producers said material from the documentary would be handed to the police and Crown Prosecution Service.
A West Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said it would investigate the programme’s claims to find out if any offences had taken place.
Secret Agent was shown on BBC1 last night.

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Bah... I wish I could have watched it... but it was really busy in work tonight and I didn't get the chance.

I'm glad the BNP have been exposed for the racist imbeciles they are.

This is what makes good television... undercover, investigative reporting that has the time and the resources to fully examine the issue. Big Brother me arse!

Thanks xx

PS: hope your son got back to sleep ok and didn't have nightmares smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that!
x