Page: ...
_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Ok following today's talk by some nurse at school today I think this subject deserved a thread.
The amount of sex ed at my school (or rather the lack of it) really does worry me. I started a thread a while back concerning the numerous amount of pregnant girls at my school and I can't stop thinking that perhaps the proper sex education, these situations could have been avoided.
Today all the year 11 girls were hushed into the hall and this woman with a slideshow presentation began to tell us all about the wonder that is - periods. Sorry to be frank but, 2 years too late love.
I mean this was *really* basic stuff, the kind of info you get when you first join year 7, and yes its important to know but what, we're all 15 comming up 16 now. Surely its basic knowledge by now.
Surely this time would have been better spent talking about contreception? or STD's? or what emotional and/or physical ties come along with sex?
The talk only slightly broke the surface on the symptons of STD's and then quickly moved back onto telling us what tampons were. And we even got our own little 'goodie bag' at the end of the talk *rolls eyes*
We've had one lesson where we got to put a condom on a test tube, but no talk involved. The embarresed teacher buried her head in a book for most of the lesson.
And surely we're old enough to have mixed sex ,sex ed. classes now? nor have we even has a male teacher for one of these classes. and might I add that we havn't even touched on homosexuality or gay sex.
I think that most of britain (most not all) has a problem with sex education, and that most of these horrid situations that people wished they'd never gotten themself's into (pregnacy, STD's) could've been avoided with the right education.

Feel free to comment, state opinions and/or hurl rotten tomatoes at me smile

Aimz xx

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately in the US just about all of our sex ed comes mainly though file share programs, videos, and google...

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Hehe, that was cool to read byron smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
Yey I can do photos now! Ta C@ntus.

Here's the condomerie from Amsterdam, it's a shop that sells novelty condoms to promote AIDS awareness.

Non-Https Image Link

And here's what we bought ubbloco

Non-Https Image Link

I'm thinking of opening one in England in the hope that it will make some people think twice about STDs and such.

Caz

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
this topic really annoys me!!!! grrrr and stuff..

iam a sex adviser in milton keynes (uk) i got to schools teaching sex ed, i alson help run a drop in clinic where people can pick up free condoms etc..
it bugs me so much how little we are aloud to talk about! we have only just been aloud to use pictures of people with STD/STIs!

sex ed in the uk is really really lame! on the other hand if anyone has any sex ed questions feel free to pm me as i am a fully trained sexual adviser!

lunernia xx

MatchInnuendo Officer Extraordinaire
105 posts

Posted:
Out of interest, there was an article in the paper the other day about the Government's plans for sex education, and there was a survey of parents with children in the 8-16yr age group.

more than 85% of parents thought that there should be more/better sex education in schools.

Less than 50% of parents thought that there should be clinics etc available for people under 16 to get condoms/sexual health advice/pregnancy tests.

Which made me think that people are more than happy to have their children told about the theory of it all, but not willing to face up to the fact that their child might actually get involved in sexual relationships at a young age, and need help and support about these issues. I think this probably sums up how most parents feel about all these issues (sex, alcohol, drugs, bullying, depression) - that its something that its fine for their children to know the theory about, but not that it is something they will ever get involved in.

Well, thats my 2 cents worth... smile

YARR! Thats replaced the whale in my nightmares!

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: lunernia

it bugs me so much how little we are aloud to talk about!

What aren't you allowed to talk about?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
YAY!!!! I've been selected to travel around rural towns in WA teaching teenagers about sex!!! We spend a full week just going from school to school running the Dr Yes sessions I posted about earlier!

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
If you think the sex-ed in the UK is bad, try going to India or the Middle East.

I'm not saying that improvements aren't a good thing, but don't forget that having something is a lot better than most of the world's nothing...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I can't remeber where, but somewhere in the UK schoolgirls as young as 15 are being sent "coded text message" (that's SMS) to remind them to take the Pill (this is by nurses or something, as I said my details aree patchy). People have objected to this claiming that it is encouraging underage sex. Personally I think these people have missed the point. These girls have volenteered for this, they weren't encouraged to get out there and have sex, they were encouraged to use the pill. Thing is, the "coded messages" take the form of "Phone Alex" or "Walk the dog" so they could actually be used to remind you of any regular activity.

Just thought you might like to hear

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
whoo yeh! the battle is won!!!!
It citezenship class today were talking about law and government *yawn* so the conversation moves onto sex education. Long story short we convinced the teacher into doing sex education, after we told him we hadn't had a 'proper' sex ed class in over 4 years.
So as of next week wednesday periods 5 and 6 are devoted to sex education biggrin:D:D

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
citizenship? pah!

don't they realise that while we have a monarchy we are SUBJECTS!!!! if they want me to behave nicely and vote labour(just kidding...) they have to abolish the monarchy first. I want to actaully BE a citizen before i'm going to behave like one.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Page: ...