Forums > Other Toys > Glow Poi - an aesthetic question...

Login/Join to Participate

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I have decided that I want to get some glow poi and not just glowsticks because i can't be bothered to have to replace them all the time, so i have decided that I'm going to invest in some LED lighted ones. BUT....

I was wondering which colours show up best in the dark? because it seems to me that some darker colours block out light and am not so sure how well the reds and blues might glow...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
depending on what product you buy, it shouldn't really make a difference.

aerotech products have similar intensities for all colours (bar uv which is obviously harder to see directly).

but they're really expensive frown

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,643 posts

Posted:
crikey... *nearly chokes on her own inhalation of air* Just found the aerotech website

they are really expensive.... look bloody amazing though.

Hmmm... reckon i might just settle with one of the cheaper options and put up with it... thanks though smile

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
neon husky's the best low cost alternative to areotechs

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
go to feraltec they have lovely rechargeable poi which change colours

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
There are some nice glow poi at www.sonicstars.com

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
when im at a place were i cant spin fire i use white l.e.d
lights on the end of my staff it looks more like fire and it brighter

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i put fuel on my wicks then set fire to em. it glows yellow n orange. then i put it out and it goes black. really.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
bender, can u make them glow green? That would be cool.

Suggest checking the HOP shop.

Alternatively, buy the LED's and make your own.

I use the newer electro glow poi from Juggleart in Melbourne.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i can only speek from my own electroglo experience, and i sez green and blue and white Led's can shine brighter than red, yellow or orange.
human colour perception is sharpest at green, and bluntest when drunk.
also, we have elvolved to be more awake when we see 'sky' blue. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Being as skint as I am, I can't afford aerotechs. frown
But someone bought me a bag of led light sticks from the HoP shop, for my birthday, and I quite like them.
I taped 2 sticks together (blue and yellow look nice), and it improved them a lot.
However they're *very* light, so are probably best with a weight added to the end of them.
And they're fairly cheap! Mine have lasted me 6 months, and are only just beginning to die.
biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
The LED light sticks from HoP aren't all that expensive, either....more cost effective than glowsticks, I believe.

*makes mental note to order more...*

biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Heres an aesthetic electro glo poi trick I got from Josh.

For improving the visuals of electro glo poi, or led’s mounted in perspex tube or clear hose or whatever.

Cut some insulation tape into lengths long enough to wrap around the Perspex tube. Each length should be about 5 to 10 mm in width. Then wrap, say four of the tape lengths around the cylinder, equally distant apart (I I I I ). This will split the light up as you twirl. Much the same as when you space your fingers along a glow stick.

Hope you can follow that smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

1,643 posts

Posted:
thanks folks, have satisified me need for glowing temporarily by using glow sticks on string, but I just found some damn cheap flashing LED child's toy, light bulb shaped, uh... things, which am going to try out, see how they work.... although they have no accessible batteries so will probably die soon... then I will be having a very close look at all these websites and options for some kick arse great glow poi biggrin

Stone, yes I follow, will definately be giving that a try too biggrin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, here’s another:

Wrap some "bubble wrap" around cheep fragile toy’s like protons, that glow and break.

Bubble wrap also looks cool on other glow toys as well

smile

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Aerotechs are worth the money!! I have 4 glo balls and they are so bright you can read by them... its not healthy and probably will make you look like this eek after a while but it can be done! biggrin

If you're in the UK, firetoys.co.uk sell some already assembled glopoi and sell lots of different colours of glow balls which ive heard are pretty good. Also glo hacky sacks or footbags are a nice alternative.

Erm... there are products called Streetlights ( https://technomoves.com/streetlights_page.html
) which come in loads of different colours and strobe and arent too expensive. They are pretty fragile but if you get a length of clear aquarium tubing, they fit perfectly inside and are well protected.

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

hallystranger
5 posts

Posted:
The best looking glow poi I've seen - by far - are the prototype poi Jo demo'd at poi in the park. Theres a video on www.poiinthepark.net in 'television', 'new media releases'

make Aerotechs look naff.

Kris-t-fire

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i can't find the video (and even if i could, i'd have to wait till i got home from work to watch it!) but can you buy these aerotech beaters anywhere or do you have instructions on how to make them...?

are they the hammerhead sock thingy's what o.w.dave makes? they look lovely ubbrollsmile

i'm still waiting for a pair of white domndrew aerotech sock-nets...

doubt i'll use another pair of poi again once i get those.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

nurseySILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
you can buy led ball poi at www.ballsulike.co.uk i have turquoise (but they look green) and my other half has purpley blue ones and they're both really good and bright. and you can take the balls off and put them in stocking too smile

1,643 posts

Posted:
biggrin I got some from ballsulike this morning and I just been outside and they is soooo pretty biggrin biggrin biggrin they are the LED-connect ones so I may just have to order a heck of a lot more and have long strings of them. They are pretty bright actually because i got the white ones, so don't know if it's as bright as the snazzy aerotechs... but i bet aerotech don't send you free sweeties too ubbrollsmile

Aleksjourneyman
64 posts

Posted:
Some cheap on ebay at the moment ebayer Chris seems really friendsly!

Look at me twirl my pretty rainbow poi in my rainbowhat with my rainbow earings and my rainbow top etc.....

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
got an areotech staff, and the red on that is pretty good, so is the blue, main thing about the areotech stuff is that its all recharable so no faffing around with batteries, altho the tapping the end to "communicate" with it looks a lik strange to some people

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
gday,
im in the process of making my own.
ive done my research, and figured out that the really bright LEDs from here when used in multiples, rival alot of stage lights, so 5 would make a for a bright light. others are available from here and here .
as i said 5 should be enough.
run these probply paralel (they teach u how somewhere on the first link)
put the lot in a piece of clear PVC (its harder to get hold of and more expensive, but stronger and looks pro) or put it in clear hose.
attach handles n all
enjoy

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
or just soup up some light sticks off of here

cheers again, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*