Forums > Social Discussion > Is HoP community the closest 2 a world authority in fire-twirling?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha i laugh at my own Q.

No doubt in my mind's eye's mind.

But I'd like to hear your take on it.

why? cus i like yooooo! hug

:edited to further reduc mass confusion and spread teh word about cowbells: smile

By authority, it is meant:

"An accepted source of expert information or advice"

EDITED_BY: bender™ (1089763452)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, it has the most members of any spinning community on the webb. Not sure what percent of spinners world-wide are members, but as far as online resources, unless you happen upon Spitz on a Tuesday, this is about as good as it gets.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

6,978 posts

Posted:
global awareness is definitely a strength here.
before being exposed to HoP, i thought most firetwirling was done with staff!
and thanks to Home of Poi™, I've lost 20 Pounds in 12 weeks!
thank you Home of Poi™!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bender, how about that 12-step program?

HOP: It slices, it dices, it will do your hair and your homework! It has no side-effects! And it's absolutely FREE! (With purchase of a 12-ounce beverage).

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Now since there is Home of Poi in English, there is bound to be a version of it in French, German, Gaelic, Yiddish, Pig Latin, Greek, Klingon?? and most definently 1337.

How this relates to the topic? Um. juggle

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Bender maybe your acctually spot on !.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

6,978 posts

Posted:
is it with the power of cowbell that this fever is quelled!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
my personal opinion is the Burning Man is the only spinning authority. HoP might be the *online* authority if you happen to like a lot of English (and whatever bender speaks when he's been drinking).

Really, having HoP be even the 'authority' on basic move names hasn't worked too well. HoP naming probably has higher usage than any proprietary naming format in use, but it's still not consistent (otherwise, why would we need "cross and follow" "weave" "3-beat weave" and "spider" to name the same moves? oh, 'spider' isn't official?? still....

And for a real text "authority", I'd want to be able to see a definitive moves/move category list (extra hard to do since we can't even agree on move names) which might not even be possible. yeah, I know "weave and butterfly" is a definitive list to some people -- we're not talking to you anyways.

My conclusion is there is no global, and few local "authorities" on spinning. Burning Man has more burners and probably better burners (seeing as I've never been, who knows, right) than HoP, so if that's what you're going by, we lose. Burning Man mostly isn't recorded for posterity the way HoP is, so even if you learn more there, you'd have to write it all down somewhere. HoP may *have* authoritative information (somewhere in here), but it came from somewhere else first and was deposited here.

If you wanted to make a site/organization that was the "authority" on spinning, you'd have to seriously work out move naming conventions and probably hold contests w/ judges who can tell "better" spinning authoritatively. Is there a New Zeland Fire Arts Organization or something? I'd say let them have authority. Otherwise, I don't really think you can claim "authority" rightly, though no one will likely contest you.

-- dut

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
that seems very america-centric. from what i've seen, there are various other big fire conventions, equal or greater in size than Burning Man, in other countries. if you asked other fire spinners from other countries if they've heard of Burning Man, there are quite a few that would say no

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
you know, you can probably get google to translate it for you.

interesting, useless bit of trivia: there are now more people that speak klingon than there are that speak native apache (well, i think it was apache, i cant remember rightly, it was a while ago that i saw that). kinda sad, hey?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

6,978 posts

Posted:
wow gotta get me some of that BM action!
there must be killa twirlness happening there!
I can only speak from what twirlers whom i've chanced upon have taught me, and that it is Thai-Land, Cairns/Melbourne and London are the geographical ceoncentrations of people who can speak with authority on twirlness.
I have a huge darkness where my knowledge of Polynesian twirling should be.
This thread was never really intended to establish HoP as the authorotative source of global twirly info, whether it is or isn't the closest to such a thing, it is killah for a general bounce off of ideas of where people think it lies in relation to the non-HOP world.
smile
Mig Ur funny. ubbrollsmile

Page: