Page:
lala32stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Ok.....I feel like an idot because I still haven't gotten the weave. Right now it is the only thing holding me back from advancing. You would think that I wouldn't be able to do everything else, but it's just the weave.

My cousin says that my left hand goes retarded everytime I try it. ubbloco Which she would happen to be correct. I have been working on many techniques in order to learn it, but nothing I have done so far seems to be helping.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate the suggestions.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hi Nix.

Don't worry, loads of people have this problem.

My tip (Which has already been mentioned) is this:

Doing a Two beat weave (one rotation either side, split timed) do you notice that one hand goes over the other hand when the poi move across your body? (Depending on which hand you start with, this will differ as to whether it's right or left).

You need to get this happening on both sides, not just one. So; the side that DOESN'T have this action going on, youneed to leave you left hand where it is and let it carry on spinning at the same time. bring your right hand over the top of your left and oover to the other side of your body, and start again. (obviously, if your trying to nail it or get it to work on the other side of your body to the one I've described here, Simply exchange the words 'left' and 'right')

Good luck!

I notice also that you are in Yorkshire... Where abouts? I go to Uni in Hull, and am gonna be the President of the Juggling Society there next academic year. You're more than welcome to come along and join us for some juggly fun and learn loads more!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

kimiBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I had been trying for 5 days and suddenly it clicked! I think it must be like riding a bike-suddenly it just happens! Now i'm trying to learn backwards weave.

TruegraceSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Im still struggling frown my problem is my retarded left hand, and struggle to keep split timing when not doing a 2 beat weave. I also find crossing normally feels really messed up when leading with me left, guess its just a matter of time before i beat some sense into me arm smile

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
It does tend to feel *extremely* strange at first, but if you just keep at it it will eventually feel natural (im talking about the reverse weave) Just hold the poi together and swing them backwards in a figure 8, once you feel comfortable with that, move one hand in front of the other and follow the same pattern and there you have the reverse weave.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

megsternewbie
1 post

Posted:
Written by: MiG

ok, so you're doing the three beat weave, right? now, and this is for the left side
THREE BEAT WEAVE - LEFT SIDE
1)right hand comes over, poi starts going down. at bottom of circle, (beat 1)
2)left hand comes over, when the poi of the left hand gets to the bottom of the circle (beat 2)
3)right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom (beat 3), with the left at the top, the left swings across the body, and the cycle starts again.

Thats the three beat, as i see it

I'm left handed and when i attempt the weave, as when I do the chase my left hand always begins by crossing over the right. My problem is that everyone else always gives me advice with the right hand crossing left!! confused Ahh! Ive been spinning poi for ages and i just have a mental block with the weave despite buying poi dvds and spending hours with friends trying to teach me!

sayamember
30 posts

Posted:
Written by: racingkitty69

Well, I can do a regular weave alright, and I am not up to the 5 beat just yet. I am trying to get the reverse weave, and I go all kinds of retarded when I start it. What's the best way to get used to doing the reverse weave?

Helen

I learned the regular weave within less then an hour (okay I admit, after my first attempt to get the move a friend started to move my arms around in orde4r for me to get it right). But it took half my holiday to learn the reverse weave. I had no idea how the move looked so I started without pois trying to get the move right. When I finally figured it out I started trying with pois but it wouldn't work. I started out swinging backwards but before completing one weave I found myself swinging the poi's forward instead of backword. (really anoying) So I started practicing with one poi in my right hand swinging backwards one time at the right side and two times on the left side. And the other way round for my left hand. When I got used to this I tried the reverse weave again with two po's and after a few more tries I suddenly got it. smile

Hope it helps. Or maybe you can already do the reverse weave, since your post is from july rolleyes

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
well, I, too, am having problems with the weave.

But, reading this post has given me some ideas on how to take care of it.

thanks in advance smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Little Miss Fidgetnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Thank God I'm not alone. I've sat and watched the little video for about half an hour but as soon as I go outside it all goes out of my head and I wallow myself in the face. I don't think my mother will let me play with poi in the house (mind you, after her first attempt with them herself, I think she deems them evil!!).

Am just spamming this post to say thanks in advance for all the advice, there's so much here. If I can master the 3-beat weave today I'm going to be dead chuffed, otherwise I'm just going to get even sorer feet from stamping them and a headache from squealing in frustration!!!

You, Mini-Man, takin' on the jellies. You've got serious thrill issues, dude. Awesome. sunny

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
do it s-l-o-w-l-y at first
it helps!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Well - I figured it out.

doing it slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y at first WITH sticks (I used bbq sqewers) is what did it for me.

An incredible feeling. This is very addicting. I realized that while practicing with sticks - I was doing "over, under" without paying attention to the other hand - I suddenly realized that trying to focus on both hands at the same time was throwing me off.

problem solved smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
reply to my reply - another thing that threw me off what I've been watching videos trying to figure it out (people's vids - not just instruction) - and I was confusing the weave for something else in one of the vids - and that's what I had in my head when tyring to do it....neep, remind me not to do that again.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Little Miss Fidgetnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Nope, still haven't got it, doesn't matter how much I read this stuff as soon as I get outside, it all goes *poof*.

Anyone want to come to Oxfordshire and move my hands around for me?!

You, Mini-Man, takin' on the jellies. You've got serious thrill issues, dude. Awesome. sunny

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
sit if front of your computer, if you have to - get some sticks (pencils, rulers, whatever you have) and try to imitate exactly what she's doing in the video.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Never mind have a lemonBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
do a straight x over , now do exactly the same thing except you aternate the pois. i.e you have on after the other

this is a bit radom but how do you do a 6? or 7 beat weave

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by:

this is a bit radom but how do you do a 6? or 7 beat weave

in a nutshell:
twist up your arms till they cross at the insides of the elbows, the backs of the wrists and the fingers curl round each other.
take your arms to the other side of the body, untwist & repeat.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Never mind have a lemonBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
thank you i just relised ive been doing it for ages but my friend has been telling me its wrong shes doing a kinder buzzsaw thing

Demonnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Reverse weaves seem like a bit of a bugger. I think the "move both poi in unison then slowly make them go out of phase" approach works best. Then just do it alternate when you've nailed it, obviously.

But then, nothing's obvious when you're learning, only when you've nailed it. tongue

Wait in the fire...

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Reverse is great fun, particularly high beat weaves, as it takes me aaaaaages to work out when to bring them across. Thank god for mirrors is all I can say.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
For practicing inside, I'd say grab a pair of socks-in-socks (nice and light and non-damaging) and shorten em up to about a foot (even a little less). This is great for getting the general feel of the movement and weight, and you can even do it while still sittin in front of the puter.

As far as 3bt weave goes, one method that might help is to take away the concentration on what the poi is doing (specially if you're like me and concentrating on the poi itself causes them to gravitate to the head on an upward swing :| ), and concentrate on your arms. Basically you're weaving back and forth, but the arm on top switches each time. So do a 2bt weave and watch which wrist is on top. Next try and bring the other wrist on top for the return.

g'luck.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

PerfectlyNormalnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Hey the weave,.

Go UNDER with your left and over with your right, in that order, it will come.. it took me a while.

hope you et it soon!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
umm

erm, PerfectlyNormal? That isn't very good advice at all.

the stuff earlier in the thread is a lot more helpful.

This thread makes me smile
because it's lots of people teaching each other the weave
and i like teaching people the weave
but since this summer i've mostly preferred 2 beat weaves to 3 beat weaves
mainly cos they're easier

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

firepheonix59BRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
do you have any hints on how to get the reverse 3 beat weave? im having some issues, i get one switch, and then it just all goes to hell.

"be true to you and screw labels"

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
In the forward 3-beat, as mentioned before, each hand is doing a circle on its own side, then one over, one under on the other side.

In the reverse beat the poi is still doing one on its own side (but spinning backwards obviously) but it's now going to do one under, then one over on the other side. Practice this pattern with one poi until you can do it fluently with both hands individually, then put it together. When practicing with one hand try miicing the movement the other hand should be making.

Then you practice turning from forwards weave to backwards weave, good luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

parabolasSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
lol. well im another who is having trouble. but thanks to all the advice i dont think ill have a problem. my nuts still hurt from trying to practice the damn 3beat. but ill get it now. i way prefer getting hit in the head. doesnt hurt as bad. glad there is tons of advice. thanks to all of you. ubbangel

prying open my third eye.

aimeeclimbsBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
This was by far the best weave advice on here:

"As far as 3bt weave goes, one method that might help is to take away the concentration on what the poi is doing (specially if you're like me and concentrating on the poi itself causes them to gravitate to the head on an upward swing :| ), and concentrate on your arms. Basically you're weaving back and forth, but the arm on top switches each time. So do a 2bt weave and watch which wrist is on top. Next try and bring the other wrist on top for the return."

Made it sooooo easy. Even easier than the video. Suibom, you should write a poi book!

...recently addicted to poi

candyflissnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
after getting pissed at my poi cuz they kept tangling when i was trying to do a 3 beat weave, i attempted it when drunk, n managed to do it straight away!

realised i had been trying to do a 4 beat weave, i guess it's something to do with being a majorette when i was little, and one always following the other....

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The way I teach 3 beat involves a stick about the length of a drumstick, just to get the basic body memory of the arm movements before any tangly poi are involved.

Start off with both arms held straight out in front of you, then bend the right arm at the elbow, and bring the arms slightly together to place the right wrist on top of the left elbow.

This is the start position, pick up your stick and hold it between the hands without changing their position too much.

Now imagine that the stick is attached to a wheel on your left hand side, and you want to move forwards. This starts with the right hand going up and forwards, left hand going down and back, and it rotates until your right wrist bangs against the underside of your left elbow.

Now you straigten out your right arm while bending the left elbow (sliding the arms over each other), until it looks like a mirror image of the starting position (left wrist on top of right elbow).

Rotate the wheel on the right hand side in the same way, until your left wrist bangs against the underside of your right elbow.

Straighten the left, bend the right, slide them back to the start position.

Repeat this a few times, smoothing things out and until you can get the crossing over to happen without the stick/wheel coming out of plane, and then loose the stick.

Now try to do it starting out with fingers pointing away from each other (starts with left hand pointing forwards, right hand pointing back).

At some point add poi.

For reverse just roll the wheel backwards.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

firepheonix59BRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the advice. basically i just tried to do it for a week and finally got it. then once i got it, i knew it, but don't ask how i did it.

"be true to you and screw labels"

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Flame Boy

One really good tip I can offer is to use two sticks the same length as your pois, then you can go through the routine really slowly and watch exactly where your hands need to go.sunny

Wow, what an amazingly good idea. I guess this can help you learn any move, not just weaves. *Looks for some sticks* biggrin

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
*uses a stick* polarity, does the 'wheel' change direction each time tho? Is that right? I've never tied a weave so forgive me if I'm being silly. redface

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

Page: