Page:
lala32stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Ok.....I feel like an idot because I still haven't gotten the weave. Right now it is the only thing holding me back from advancing. You would think that I wouldn't be able to do everything else, but it's just the weave.

My cousin says that my left hand goes retarded everytime I try it. ubbloco Which she would happen to be correct. I have been working on many techniques in order to learn it, but nothing I have done so far seems to be helping.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate the suggestions.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
umm watch the HOP videos.. heh

intro thread?

those things aside, it helps to just practice the arm/hand movements without the poi, then pracitce each hand with just one poi, doing the movements with both hands but only swinging one; then switch hands, and do the same thing; then try putting both together

hope this helps

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

talesstranger
10 posts

Posted:
just remember to go up down and out, its a 3 beat sequence so on your left side your right hand does 2 full circles and left hand does 2 on the right side.when you go to your right side your left hand leads and when you go to your left side the right hand leads.im sure youll get it soon, it would be easy to learn if someone just controlled your arms and then let go when you got it going.

im too tired to type...

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
the way I learned was by doing a 2 beat weave... aka a figure 8. then, try to stretch it to a 3 beat by doing an extra half rotation on one side. this is the same way I learned how to do a 4 and 5 beat. good luck and watch out for that crotch!!!

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

talesstranger
10 posts

Posted:
ive done a 5 beat but i dunno how.i guess ill try to learn that now

im too tired to type...

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Lala... concentrate on your less dominant hand... Over, under, out... over, under, out... You'll whack yourself a few times but you'll get it eventually. Your right hand/arm already knows what needs to be done and will follow after a few tries.

Hope it helps! smile
EDITED_BY: Katch (1089623639)

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
when I teach the weave, I usually try the approach Jaero mentioned. If that doesn't work after a while, I will actually get behind the person and use my hands to guide their hands through it for a few rotations. Often times just giving the muscles the idea of what the pattern feels like can make all the difference. I find this technique is also very effective for teaching thread the needle.

So I dunno if your cousin actually does poi or is just being an astute observer, but if she does do poi, then try this technique (or find someone who can do this for you - easier if they are taller than you).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I have a post on here about it, but i think it fell down a bit. hopefully that can help you.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

lala32stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went back and looked at the video to see if I was missing a step, or doing something that neither I or the group caught. It turns out while I was studying my movements I was bringing it over, out, under, out.....and obviously the extra out was what was doing it.
So, I have corrected my mistake and now have the weave! YAY!
It's not all that pretty now....but at least it is right.
Thanks again everyone!

lala32stranger
3 posts

Posted:
PS: My right hand is still retarded...lol.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Congratulations! biggrin

You'll find that one hand will be retarded for ages while you're learning... after 2 1/2 years I can usually get my left hand to do what I want but occasionally it will still let me down wink
EDITED_BY: spiralx (1089712757)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
also, you're about to have to learn to turn that around into the reverse weave, and the retarded hand will continue to hold you back unless you beat it into submission...

can you do an "x cross"? just swing at your sides, forward, same time. then pull up on the upswing and cross your arms over so your making the same planes w/ your circles and the same hand motions on the opposite side of your body. keep doing this and crossing it with either hand on top. forward circles, cross left on top, back out to regular circles, cross right on top, back out, ...

this will help you practice keeping your hands in synch really well on the other side of your body, and will help if you do it reverse when you're trying to learn the reverse weave. good luck!

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1089757262)

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
For all weave moves I find it really helpful to count the beats as you spin each circle. I don't know if that's an obvious thing to do but anyway there's my little tip.

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I dunno if you know what I mean by 2, 3, 4 and 5 beat weaves, but if you can understand this then hopefully it'll help you.sunny
Start doing the 2 beat weave with your right hand crossing, as your left arm moves across your body you will notice it is above your right arm, now all you need to do is swing your left hand underneath your right and then it will be your right arm that moves across your body to your left side rather than your left arm. I hope this helps. biggrin

One really good tip I can offer is to use two sticks the same length as your pois, then you can go through the routine really slowly and watch exactly where your hands need to go.sunny

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I can't work out if i'm doing a 2 or a 3 beat...i presume its probably a 2, my right hand does most of the work, my left hand follows and comes above my right as my hands pass to the right side of my body.

Is this a 2?

confused.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flame Boy

One really good tip I can offer is to use two sticks the same length as your pois, then you can go through the routine really slowly and watch exactly where your hands need to go.sunny

I learnt the 3beat with clubs. I also taught weave that way to a friend. We'd tried for an hour or so with poi, in various incarnations, but she wasn't getting it. Within 5 minutes of playing with the clubs she had it. ubbrollsmile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: StarlyStar

I can't work out if i'm doing a 2 or a 3 beat...i presume its probably a 2, my right hand does most of the work, my left hand follows and comes above my right as my hands pass to the right side of my body.

Is this a 2?

confused.

Does your right hand start out on top on the left?

On the left side the right hand does an "over" circle, an "under" circle, then follows the left hand across. Then on the right the left hand does an over, and under, then follows the right across... ubbrollsmile

Dorothy Gale

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Does your right hand start out on top on the left?

Yes!

On the left side the right hand does an "over" circle, an "under" circle, then follows the left hand across. Then on the right the left hand does an over, and under, then follows the right across...

Yes! i think so anyway smile

Is the 2 beat as simple as crossing your arms to make the figure of eight?
EDITED_BY: StarlyStar (1091302376)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
That's the 3 beat weave... and yes, the 2 beat weave is that simple smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

That's the 3 beat weave... and yes, the 2 beat weave is that simple smile

Wooo! great stuff smile

thanx!

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
woohoo, go you smile

Dorothy Gale

Zavienewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much for this website!
I've started POI just a few days ago and pretty proud to get moves fast.
but right now I have the same problem as lala: I can't get the weave move.
And I think the major problem I have is "How do I start????" confused (a problem I often have, actually).
But I think trying using sticks will help me get it.
I'll tell you if it worked.... weavesmiley

DEATH WILL ALWAYS BE A CELEBRATION OF CONFORMITY.
-Neil Gevisser-

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Zavie, for me, i stood with both hands on one side. Left arm by your left side. Right arm across your body infront of your left arm. You swing the right arm first, then the left, then the right again. At the front of the left arm's circle, let it go to the right side and do the same thing there.

smile Lynne

Dorothy Gale

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*bump* to add some quotes from elsewhere...

Written by: pk

Weave....

The weave is pretty much the first move that any one attempts to achieve. Most of you who are reading this and trying to learn will find it hard and will do a 2 beat weave to start (one beat on ether side).

Start off spinning your poi one on each side of you left on left and right on right!.

2 beat, forwards or backwards can be done 2 different ways, single beat on the same side of your body and a single beat on the opposite side of your body. forwards with your right hand passing over your left or under your left and exactly the same in reverse. This will help you with the 4 beat later on. hint hint. these moves can be done in same time too.

3 beat

Forwards: Now for the tricky part, leading with your right poi, take it over to the left but as you are moving the right poi you should also move the left over to the right but most importantly even if doing a 2 beat weave, all ways move your right arm over the left!!! (be warned because this is where you say I can not do a 3 beat weave). Then once your left poi has rotated once on the right side bring it back over to the left, as it is rotating on the left side follow it with your arm and take your left arm over your right and across to the right side let it spin half a rotation and follow over with your right arm for one rotation following with your right arm take it over your left arm and across to the left side of you again, the left poi is doing its second rotation on the right side then follow across to the left side. You have now just done the 3 beat weave.

Reverse: leading with your right poi, take it over to the left but as you are moving the right poi you should also move the left over to the right but most importantly even if doing a 2 beat weave, all ways move your right arm under the left!!! (be warned because this is where you say I can not do a 3 beat reverse weave). Then once your left poi has rotated once on the right side bring it back over to the left, as it is rotating on the left side follow it with your arm and take your left arm under your right and across to the right side let it spin half a rotation and follow over with your right arm for one rotation following with your right arm take it under your left arm and across to the left side of you again, the left poi is doing its second rotation on the right side then follow across to the left side. You have now just done the 3 beat reverse weave.

Written by: simian

don't think smacking yourself repeatedly in the head with your poi is a bad thing. It means you're pushing yourself. Hit yourself enough and you'll learn to do the move right through sheer self-preservation.

Anyone who doesn't hit themselves in the head with their poi obviously isn't trying hard enough tongue

Um weave tips... I've seen people learn the weave loads and loads of different ways. You'll find your way if you're willing to hit yourself enough smile When you do it the first time it'll just click, and you'll be able to do it from then on.

Here's some ideas

1. Do the movements with nothing in your hands
2. Do the movements with a short (6"ish) stick holding both ends in your hands.
3. Do the movements with one poi at a time, holding your other hand straight out forwards
(so you swing over your empty hand, then under your empty hand then back to the other side, then over your hand, then under....)
4. Spin at different speeds. You might find it easier to learn it spinning really slow, or really fast, but most likely somewhere inbetween.
5. Practice the basic elements - spinning split time with straight planes, then crossing them over split timed.
6. Practice spinning the poi using just your fingers, then just your wrists, and then keeping your arms as straight as you can. This'll teach your body different ways of controlling the path of the poi.

umm, theres more I'm sure. But my mind is blank

Basically just play. All the time your muscles are learning, even though you might think you're not making any progress.

Ooh! One last thing: Something that helped me when I was first learning was every time I messed up I'd say "AGAIN!" really sternly like a master teaching a student in a kung-fu movie. That helped me a lot.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

CuzBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Wow! I was just about to come on and say -ARGH! i'm a retard - i'm the only person in the whole world who can't do the 3 beat weave - but as it turns out, maybe i am not.
Amen to the stuff about hitting yourself in the head - i've only been doing poi for about 5 days and already i have nearly winded myself by hitting my back and smacked myself in the face - that actually hurt quite a lot!!! i too have a retarded left hand!
I am loving the poi though, particularly in the garden in the sun - although i find if i do it for too long i just get disheartened and hurt quite a lot!!!
Thanks for all the advice on here on how to master the weave - i shall keep at it!

That'll do donkey, that'll do.

racingkitty69BRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
Well, I can do a regular weave alright, and I am not up to the 5 beat just yet. I am trying to get the reverse weave, and I go all kinds of retarded when I start it. What's the best way to get used to doing the reverse weave?

Helen

Helen

Though I fly through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing.

Ravers don't stumble and fall, we trip and roll!!!

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I'm having this problem too, i think i left it for too long between learningin it forwards and learning it backwards and now i cannot make my hands go the "wrong" way round the loops. i might try the stick thing though - that sounds good. failing that i'm going off to clapham on sunday to get me some help! (well and meet people, i've been too shy til now!)

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
The using sticks tip worked really well!!!! I can do it!!!!!! YAY!!!!

kimiBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I'm having serious problems with my weave. I just can't do it. It's three beats yeah? Meaning two rotations on the crossing side (over under) and one by your side (the out)? Do you star it by doing split time? O dear I just want to be able to do it!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
all right. at the risk of being flamed and beaten and blown up and hung and having paper planes thrown at me, here is, what i think and hope will be the easiest description of a 4 beat, then a 5 beat weave.

Now, my definition for a beat in a weave is when the poi hits the bottom of the circle. it may not be technically correct, it may have shortcomings when you start playing jedi mind tricks, but it works for weaves, and thats what im trying to teach.

ok, so you're doing the three beat weave, right? now, and this is for the left side
THREE BEAT WEAVE - LEFT SIDE
1)right hand comes over, poi starts going down. at bottom of circle, (beat 1)
2)left hand comes over, when the poi of the left hand gets to the bottom of the circle (beat 2)
3)right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom (beat 3), with the left at the top, the left swings across the body, and the cycle starts again.

Thats the three beat, as i see it

If i have lost anyone, pm me and let me know, and i will try, really, really hard, to get a movie, or a gif or something. with different coloured sock poi, and in a very exaggerated way of doing things

Ok, to clear up the confusion as to how 3/4/5 beat weaves happen, yes, you can do a sustained four beat weave. no threes, no fives, no tangles. It happens like this:

FOUR BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE
2)left hand comes over, when the poi of the left hand gets to the bottom of the circle (beat 2)
3) right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom, (beat 3) with the left at the top, instead of moving the left over to the other side, go towards the bottom of the circle again.
4) At this point, if you are anything like me, you're going 'nope, thats gonna end in tears'. dont worry, it wont, and this next bit is important
5)as the left hand starts travelling down, try to have your wrists cross at about a 90 degree angle, with the right arm parallel to the body, and the left running front to back.
6)as left is getting toward bottom of circle, and right getting towards top, kinda 'push' the left hand away from your body, while at the same time, bringing the right hand across the body. (beat 4)

(I found, when learning, that it helped to 'flick' the right hand across, and hope for the best. a cricketer's box may be handy, if you are worried and/or using hard poi.)

now, for the other side of the four beat weave.
FOUR BEAT WEAVE, RIGHT SIDE
1) right hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The left hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the left poi is still on your left side, doing the fourth beat.
2) as right poi hits top of circle, left poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the right hand comes down to the bottom (beat three)
4) bring the left poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4), then cross the right poi over, to begin the cycle again.
if you complete it all without recrossing (basically doing a 3 beat, but with the extra uncross beat), then you will have a four beat weave.

The assymetric part comes from the fact that on one side, the hands cross over, (left side, in this example), then on the other side, they uncross, without recrossing. And yes, you can do this the other way around, but im more comfortable with it on my left side. just swap left and right around

Now, from a four beat weave, a five beat weave is rather simple.
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE
3) right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom, (beat 3) with the left at the top, instead of moving the left over to the other side, go towards the bottom of the circle again.
4) At this point, if you are anything like me, you're going 'nope, thats gonna end in tears'. dont worry, it wont, and this next bit is important
5)as the left hand starts travelling down, try to have your wrists cross at about a 90 degree angle, with the right arm parallel to the body, and the left running front to back.
6)as left is getting toward bottom of circle, and right getting towards top, kinda 'push' the left hand away from your body, while at the same time, bringing the right hand across the body. (beat 4)

Yes, that is only four beats. dont worry, that will change. The first side will have to be four beats, as you will see soon.

Now, on the right side, the five beats start.
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, RIGHT SIDE
1) right hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The left hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the left poi is still on your left side, doing the fourth beat.
2) as right poi hits top of circle, left poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the right hand comes down to the bottom (beat three)
4) bring the left poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4)
5) now, the right hand crosses over the top of the left hand (beat 5), and the left hand flicks over to the left side of the body.

Now its just a case of uncrossing your wrists, giving you the extra beat to make the original four into five, like this:
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE (2)
1) left hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The right hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the right poi is still on your right side, doing the fifth beat.
2) as left poi hits top of circle, right poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the left hand comes down to the bottom (beat 3)
4) bring the right poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4)
5) now, the left hand crosses over the top of the right hand (beat 5), and the right hand flicks over to the right side of the body.

Ok, that about sums it up. I hope to have a movie of this on here really soon, but between now and then, if you have any problems with this post, please dont hesitate to email me, pm me, or come around, have a cup of tea, and discuss it face to face. I think we have enough tea left..

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Dead-Hot-and-ReadySILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Right....ive read all, well most of the posts on this thread, but im still none the wiser about how to compleate the weave...ive watched the vidoes constantly for 15 minutes at a time....and im still being retarded and not getting it.

Im doing a figure 8 with my left had, then another figure 8 with my right 1 beat behind the left....but i seem to be missing out the middle spin, if you get me, i just cant seem to get it in...it sounds radiculous, but for about a week ive been spinning 5 hours a day and i still cant get it....i need some serious help.

Maybe im not cut out for poi frown

Thanks
Nix xxx

...Spin Spin Sugar...

Page: