Forums > Help! > Urgent Computer Help needed....

Login/Join to Participate

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Ok, not entirely relevant to anything but I REALLY desperately need some help.

I was trying to free up some space on my computer as it's working really slowly so I uninstalled a program out of my main (very important) directory. Anyhow, it's uninstalled not just the program but my entire directory. It's not been put into my recycle bin and I really need to get the info back. Does anyone know how to do this? Please.... ubbcrying

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
you used an uninstalling program or did you delete it manually?

Not to worry TuTu is here to save you..

If you used an uninstall program there isnt really anything you can do through your computer to restore it. If you wanted the information back you would have to bring your harddrive to a data recovery place and they (possibly) could recover the data. But that costs alot of money. If you deleted it manually you can right click on the recycleing bin and clikc "restore" and it will be back.

Let me know what you did

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok, go search the web for a file recovery program. there is a good one from a german software place that is free - sorry I can't remember the name right now - that really saved my ass once.

I'll try to dig up the name for you...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
[censored] [censored] [censored]. I used a [censored] uninstall [censored] program. Looks like I'm [censored]!

TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
hug Im sorry hug

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Not necessarily...
When you delete stuff, it doesn't really erase the data, it just forgets that it put it there, so there's a chance your files are still kicking about. If you google for "undelete" or "file recovery" and whatever version of windows you've got, you should find a whole load of software designed to fix exactly your problem. I can't recommend any good or free ones, I'm afraid, cos I don't use windows.

The important thing is to do as little as possible to your computer in the meantime - all your files are still sitting there, but you're computer has forgotten about them, so if you write a new file or move things around, it thinks that part of the disk is free, and could overwrite them.

I can't really help more than than, but the less you do to it before you try and recover the files the better.

Good luck!

hug hug

monkeys ate my brain

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Thank you guys. I've managed to get about 2 thirds of the stuff back which is a huge relief. I'll just hope the things it couldn't save weren't too important. Cheers for the help! biggrin

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
If you're working on a pc, try this. go to your Start menu, then click on RUN. This will bring up a small window. Type in msconfig & click OK. This will bring up a larger window with tabs at the top, this make take a fwe minutes depending on how slow your computer is. Once there make sure that the GENERAL tab is chosen & at the bottom you'll notice two buttons, click on LAUNCH SYSTEM RESTORE then another window will pop up. choose RESTORE MY COMPUTER TO AN EARLIER TIME this will bring up a little calendar which you can go back usually a month by. Choose a dat about 3 or four days earlier than when you deleted this directory, click on it(on the calander) then click on NEXT & follow the instructions. You'll have to start your computer & when you do a message window will come up. Click in the little box so a check mark appears & click ok. This should restore your computer to how it was on an earlier date. If you've installed any programs recently you may have to reinstall them. Hopefully this will work. Good luck!

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.