NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
my fire poi are squeaking... confused I've spinning them a lot on the beach so I am worried that a combination of sand and salt water might not be too good for them. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to resist corrosion (in case there is some sand/water caught in there), that doesn't damage the wick and stops them squeaking?

I've only had these one a few months and have been doing everything in the care instructions, but don't really want to have to replace them just yet, so any advice would be helpful! ubbrollsmile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, if it's the swivels - a layer of grease is always good, but this is more of a preventative.

If you've got salt and sand in them, give them a rinse under warm water, oil them and should help.

Mine squeak, but I just carry on regardless - it's no big problem I don't think

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
cool, thankyou. Will give them a good clean and hope they don't fall apart.... as you say the squeaking is probably nothing, i may just be paranoid as I have a habit of destroying things smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i bought some from here, and now, i just take off the nylon handles, and leave the whole lot soaking in kerosene (paraffin). not sure if its good or bad, but it keeps the water out.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I have a habit of putting my poi out by twatting them both into the beach at the same time. I think the sand is starting to damage the kevlar. Tis fraying an stuff. Ah well. They'll still last a good while yet.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Slight fraying is quite normal over time. As each little fiber strand smoulders all the way through, they tend to fray. Im sure the twapping of your heads against any surface doesnt help matters but all poi fray at some point regardless of how good care you take of them.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

malvinstranger
3 posts

Posted:
wd40, the wonder chemical might solve that problem. Spray it on doors to stop them squeaking, on engines to stop them making weird noises, and on fires for fun.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
actaully, i'd have to disagree with you there, icon. i messed up once, went too close to the ground playing with a weave, and basically shredded the bottom of my tubies frown i;ll get some aquadhere onto them soon enough, though

NOTE: concrete and rapidly spinning tube cores dont play well together!!

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
MiG,

Didnt say scraping them on concrete was a good idea. Said that fraying was normal and that hitting them on the ground wasnt helping. He is also talking about hitting them into the sand which is quite different than concrete.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i know biggrin just having a bit of fun smile

"master"
--FSA