Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > what we've all been waiting for......

Login/Join to Participate

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
....but I'd love to see it do an isolated hyperloop!

Thanks to psi for this, I couldn't not put it up in the mooves section

eat me, drink me, press me

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well it's a start and a good one at that. A 3rd dimension'd be usefull for when things get a bit more complicated or even a seperate front view. Well done! smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
d'ya know if anyone here did this? Or was it you Custom???
When do we get to control _The Dude_??? beerchug beerchug

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nice! Could do with perhaps having the hands colour coded as well and move a bit smoother... but nice!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
do you know who made it? was it mike? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no idea where it comes from or who made it. I just saw the link from the Bristol Fire thread and put it into here.

Psi might know who it is that made it? smile

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes, i randomly found this yesterday - it's [Old link] Homepage wink I really liked it, even though there arn't really very many moves available - nevertheless very usefull for beginners weavesmiley

Only on monday or so garthy and i were talking about coding up a poi simulator. Not just for displaying moves in 2D/3D (although that would already be sweet), but maybe even to be able to create new moves by actually simulating the poi in a physical model - although the latter is asking for a lot of work, so it's no more than a dream at the moment !! but it would be like the numerous juggling programs into which you can type any siteswap pattern juggle and it'll juggle it for you (even if the move is actually practically impossible to do)

Mike biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
cheres Mike...and thanks White Raven!! biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Always wanted to make a similar thing meself. Maybe i'll have a crack at it.

That's a really good start. I was getting completely bogged down with the physics of it all but it's not that tricky really.

What I'd really like is a physical model made in director. I had a meeting with a 3d web developer i know and he reckons he can do it. Thing is he's a flakey hippy, and a genius. But he hasn't lifted a finger in almost a year ubblol

Thing with this page is that i think it's all animated. What you need is to program little functions in actionscript for separate patterns. Trickier, but not nearly as much as programing the physics in director confused

If poiple really want a little flash engine to animate poi patterns then i'm be up for the challenge. My thinking and understanding is a whole lot clearer these days and i reckon i could produce the goods wink

¦m¦
EDITED_BY: PoiPoiPoi (1089368823)

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hmm, i've got a working rigid body dynamics engine i coded a while ago for something totally unrelated to this, but i reckon one could adapt it to simulate poi (or staff) - bendy socks could easily be modelled by non-penetrable beads connected by harmonic springs. That could even simulate hyperloops ... ubblove

But i agree, the first step would be some easy way to encode poi patterns and a program to display them....

Will have a think ..

Mike biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
you guys are far too geeky for your own good....but I love it wink

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
ubblol

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

WhiterRaven is is my friend, he is from Slovakia, so close to
me and the page he did is really cool, I let him know about HOP
smile

POI THEO(R)IST

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
sooo nice this is..: o) thanx for the feedback guys... I have posted this into the videos section some time ago also..: o)

I WAS thinking of making a simulator but I haven´t really found or been able to think up anything similar to the system that jugglers have... What I´m thinking of now would be to make transitions between tricks so you could click up the order of tricks you´d like the Dude to spin and he´d spin them along with transitions but I´m still lacking some flash experience + my flash mx which is circulating somewhere around my town.. : o/ Nevermind!! Be sure to post any ideas you´d like me to add and I´ll see what I can do...

BTW.. I´d like to see it make an isolated hyperloop too..; o))

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Could you make it 3D so the viewer could rotate around it to get a really good view of the moves. Then you could teach poi to idiots!

Oh wait, someone already did...

ubbloco

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Vestergaardstranger
22 posts

Posted:
What the H... is a hyper-loop???