Page:
Donia_Lovestranger
1 post

Posted:
A new program has started in Florence Italy where you can travel to Italy, stay at a beautiful space, explore the area and learn fire art all at the same time.

To learn more go to:

https://www.poidpois.com/fireflorencesite/index.html

The first program starts in September and space is limited.

Hope to see you in Italy!

Ciao,

Donia Love
The Fire Academy of Florence
Program Director and Instructor
Prato, Italy
donia@poidpois.com

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool cool - I think I applied to run the workshops there frown

Ah well - will have to bring poi with my when I come to Italy in Sept biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Hey There..

YEah you did but we are not running the guest teacher program until the second year. This is a test run to see how everything goes. Plus it will be a requirement for any one who is a guest teacher to first take one of the workshops at their own expense..but it is really , really cool so should not be to much of a problem.

Donia

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Oh, so THIS is where my email address got trawled from!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I remember that im still keen on teaching poi, staff , fire whip work , Stilts etc in a couple of years biggrin

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Going to be in Italy for a week in September, but don't think i could make the course, kinda doing italy in a whirlwind with a group of people - oh well, another time maybe... frown

Let us know how the course goes for future referance... smile

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Actually..if you want you are always welcome to stop by for a visit...

Feel free to e-mail me directly to set something up.

Ciao,

Donia

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
okay im gonna go a a minor rant here, but i just felt the need to say that i really dont appreciate my email being used to promote something .. you have posted the exact info here, so why email me too?
i see that this was your first post..and have a funnyish feeling its probably going to be your only post.. so im not expecting a reply but im just asking nicely, please don't email me this kinda stuff again .. its not what i posted my email addie on here for, thankyou hug

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Agreed. As much as I enjoyed the novelty of Poi spam, its still SPAM, and not appreciated. My email address isnt listed on this site to be advertised to, its listed so that people who are genuinely interested in contacting me can contact me.

Ta.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

BernoSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Yes, well that certainly solves the mystery. There I was sitting in front of my computer, wondering how on earth this person got my email, and how do they know I am in to fire, .... I'm not on any mailing lists.. ...should I click on the link?????!!!!!..............not very impressive.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i love firetwirling more than i hate alot of things, including spam!
thanks for the email!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ditto

hug bender you rok..stay positive

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
If someone on this board wants to send me something fire related that they think I would be genuinly intersted in then please do. Isn't that what this place is for?

I have been truly blessed by my experience here and I honestly want to have ya'll come and have the same experience and if I could give it away for free I would but the truth is there are expenses to run this program. The teachers are not making a buttload of money. Everyone involved in the project thinks that this would be a great experience for everyone. And it's not just fire..it's Italy and well Italy rocks! So I spent my time looking at fire related websites to find e-mails to send this info to.

You only get one e-mail no more..there is no list. If I had the time I would have personally addressed everyone. My definition of SPAM is recieving information about something I am not intersted in...so I took a chance that some of you all would be interested and the truth is some of you are intersted. I have gotten more positive results ..way more than negative.

Maybe you should check out the website..ask me questions about it let me know what you think of the idea of it. I want to talk about it. I am so excited....

Ciao,

Donia

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Dude, back off on the email spam, Donia. One is too many if it is spam.

that is an uncool way to use the HoP contacts list.

I saw this thread, thank you, I don't need more trash in my inbox too.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I agree. Dont you think that if we were interested in the program we would contact you? If you post all the information on here then there is no need to email loads of people on HoP!

Please dont spam me, i get enough spam already, as im sure do most people on here!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Ignis Devoco

Hey There..

YEah you did but we are not running the guest teacher program until the second year. This is a test run to see how everything goes. Plus it will be a requirement for any one who is a guest teacher to first take one of the workshops at their own expense..but it is really , really cool so should not be to much of a problem.

Donia

I'm curious. If someone then gets accepted to be a guest teacher, will you refund their money from the first year? Or is this just a way for you to make more money?

Please don't send me any email about your program. I don't appreciate spam.

Cheers!
ubbloco weavesmiley juggle ubbloco

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
In answer to your question...We pay for the teachers transportation to Italy and we pay the teacher. The pay rate is based on the number of people attending the workshops. Our hope is they walk away with enough to cover the first trip and extra. We set it up this way because knowing fire and being able to teach are different and so when someone who is intersted in teaching comes the first time, we can see their skills and we can get to know eachother. Plus..the classes are about half of the whole experience..the other half is checking out Florence and the sorrounding area. The guest teacher can not be responsible for taking you around..we have to be so when thinking about how we could do the guesting in a way that was fair for all this is what we came up with..and to be honest I have had a couple of inquiries from advanced poi and/or fire artists and I was happy to give them a discount on the price becasue the importance is not the money,,the importance is the experience and exchange of ideas and community.

I can see how getting an unsolicited e-mail about this would make you think that I am in it for the money..that is an unfortunate consequence and all I can say to you is that a large portion of the money spent to come goes to pay for food, general supplies, basic bills for the association, tickets to museums and such, transportation. There is a staff of four running the program. Two Instructors an instructors assistant and a part timer who makes sure we have all the neccessities and coordinates the meals. 35% of the money you spend gets split between 4 people with the part timer making a little less. It isn't like we are making bank but we are making enough to pay our bills. I think it works out to something like 80 euro per person for the three fulltimers and 40 per person for the partimer. So on a class of ten I make 800 euro..Ok not bad..but deffinitely not "in it for the money" kind of money. ok? We really tried to make it as cheap as possible while still paying ourselves for the time we spend.

To those who are upset about the unsolicited e-mail. I apologize. You will not recieve any more unsolicited e-mail from me. I am excited and possibly took the wrong course of action in regards to getting the work out. Please fogive my error.

Sincerely,

Donia

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks for your response Donia!
Cheers!
ubbloco weavesmiley juggle ubbloco

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I think you guys are a bit tooo harsh on her .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone for their input about my actions and to those who actually had input about the project. I welcome the good and the bad. I think this process is imporatant so I can change how I move in the future. I want to make people happy and excited not angry and frustrated and yes, spam is frustrating. Please excuse my imposition onto your privacy. I am an impulsive woman and this is a good lesson for me.

Ciao Raggazzi!!

Donia smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ignis Devoco

I want to make people happy and excited not angry and frustrated and yes, spam is frustrating. Please excuse my imposition onto your privacy. I am an impulsive woman and this is a good lesson for me.

I hope you NEVER lose your passion!
my respect for you spark and humility!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Mile Grazie!!!

Molti Bacci!!! xxxxxxxxx

Donia

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
I agree with Bender on this. While I don't enjoy getting unsubscibed emails from people i don't know, i did have a look at your site, and can say that i'm interested. and kudos out to you for risking the wrath of HOP and sending it out to us all anyways!

weavesmiley

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Awesome!!

Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to provide a detailed list of tools and techniques we teach...

*smiling* and excited!!

Ciao,

Donia

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
what do you actually teach? i only saw mention of poi and fire eating on your website! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Here is a more in depth list of what we offer:

Basic, Intermediate and advanced (Listed here) poi technique including:
Stalls
Wraps
Extra Circle
4 Beat movements
“Funky Chicken”
Under the leg movements
Arm Wraps
Throws
Behind the back movements
Single hand with two poi movements
Length variation
Speed variation
Partner work
+more

Other Tools and Techniques:
Fire Eating
Fire Transfer (solo)
Fire Transfer and Eating with a partner
Dragon’s Breadth
Fire Blowing
Staff (Beginning to advanced movement)
Batons
Fans
Hula Hoop (non-fire)
Swords
Sticks
Palms

Tool Construction:
Poi
Staff
Swords
Batons
Eating, transfer and Blowing wands
Fire Fingers
Hula Hoop (non-fire)
Sticks

General Info:
“For more info go to…”
Best places to make your purchases
Safety
Fuel
Body movement and choreography

We have also partnered with some local jugglers for an evening of instruction in Juggling, Diabolo and Devil sticks.

The Association all hosts other classes during the week in Tai-Chi, Belly Dancing, Capiera, Qi-gong, and others and you can participate in those classes for a small additional fee of 5-10 euro.

If you have any more questions, let me know!!

Ciao,

Donia

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
Whilst I though "cheek" when i originally got your e-mail, i've had a look at the site and all in all it looks awesome biggrin plus Florence is a beautiful place. It's just a shame i'm booked this year with work and other things....maybe next year.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Diz. hug

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Aw shucks...Thank you!! I really appreciate the feedback about the site. I think I will try to post a more detailed list of what we teach on the site since a lot of people have been asking about that.

We are alos developing a weekend intensive...for those traveling in italy with a group and want to stop by to experience the association for a weekend...you stay with us..eat homemade italian cooking and immerse yourself in fire for a full weekend..should be cool.We already offer this kind of course but it has been mainly focused on italians so now we want to open it up...

Keep the feedback coming and I will keep you all posted as to the goings on in the association!! And again MILE GRAZIE!! (A thousand thanks).

Ciao,

Donia

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Start date for the workshops has changed to the third week in January. Feed back from people intersted in attending has lead us to make this change!

Below is a quick sheet on the program including the tools and teachnique included in our program...so far...:)

The Program:

This is a week-long full immersion into Fire art and Florence and surrounding areas. You will spend your mornings learning different techniques and tools involved with fire art, the afternoon and early evenings you will get to explore the area and at night put your new skills to the test with fire.

The instructors have 15 years of experience with different fire tools and techniques along with professional backgrounds in theatre and dance. Both master instructors have been teaching these arts for 5 years and have developed teaching methods complimentary to any learning style. Be you new to fire art or a seasoned spinner, you are guaranteed to learn something new.

In the afternoons and early evenings, we will take you to explore the Tuscany region including Florence, Pisa, Sienna and more. We are not tour guides, we are locals and so you will explore the areas not normally visited by other tourists as well as the sights our country is famous for like Michelangelo’s “David” and the famous Uffizi museum, but you may also catch a late night movie in the local castello (castle) or have lunch at “The house of Ham” located in the country side close to Trebbio. We may also take the time to check out any local festivals that are happening. Regardless your Italian experience will be unique and unforgettable. You will be immersed into the culture spending your time with the locals.

Some evenings we will stay out and others we will return to the Association to put our new skills to practice with fire and to have a bite to eat of some amazing authentic Italian cooking prepared by our own in house kitchen goddess, Sylvana.

The Association:

Created 4 year ago by Fabrizio Fedi, The Association is a place for people to gather and learn or teach fire art, poi, and more. While you are here The Association will be your home. With 2500 square feet of open space there is plenty of space to relax or play. Amenities include: Bathroom facilities, Shower, Internet access, telephone, comfy sleeping mats and more. For instruction we offer a specially designed “dance” floor and large mirrors as well as a ballet bar and access to all sorts of fire toys. During the year the Association also hosts classes in other areas such as Belly Dancing, Capoiera, Tai Chi, Qi-Gong and others that you will be welcome to participate in for a small extra fee of 5-10 euro.

What is Included:

Almost everything is included in the price of the program. Transportation once you arrive, tickets to any attractions, almost all your meals (7 breakfast, 5 lunch, 5 dinner), accommodations, instruction, practice poi and eating wands. * We will offer instruction on tool construction but because of the size of some of the tools we have left it up to you to decide what you would actually like to make to take home with you. There is a small additional fee for supplies of any tools you construct and take away except for eating and blowing wands.

List of Tools and Techniques We Teach:

Basic, Intermediate and advanced (Listed here) poi technique including:
Stalls
Wraps
Extra Circle
4 Beat movements
“Funky Chicken”
Under the leg movements
Arm Wraps
Scales of Circles
Throws
Behind the back movements
Single hand with two poi movements
Length variation
Speed variation
Partner work

Other Tools and Techniques:
Fire Eating
Fire Transfer (solo)
Fire Transfer and Eating with a partner
Dragon’s Breadth
Fire Blowing
Staff (Beginning to advanced movement)
Batons
Fans
Hula Hoop (non-fire)
Swords
Sticks
Palms

Tool Construction:
Poi
Staff
Swords
Batons
Eating, transfer and Blowing wands
Fire Fingers
Hula Hoop (non-fire)
Sticks

General Info:
“For more info go to…”
Best places to make your purchases
Safety
Fuel
Body movement and choreography

We have also partnered with some local jugglers for an evening of instruction in Juggling, Diabolo and Devil sticks.

Sample Schedule:

Monday:
Arrive
9pm Dinner and introductions (@ association)

Tuesday:
930am Breakfast
10am Lesson
1pm Lunch
2pm Explore
8pm Dinner (@ association)
9pm Practice and play

Wednesday:
930am Breakfast
10am Lesson
1pm Lunch
2pm Explore (we have dinner wherever we are at)
10pm Practice and play (eating fire lesson)

Thursday:
Same as Wednesday

Friday:
930am Breakfast
10am Lesson
1pm Lunch
2pm Explore
8pm Dinner
9pm Practice and play

Saturday:
10am Breakfast
1030am Explore (Lesson while we are out)
10pm Dinner at the Association

Sunday:
10am Breakfast
1030am Lesson
1pm Lunch
2pm Lesson
8pm Dinner
9pm Burn, Play, Goodbye Party!!!!

Monday:
10am Breakfast
Arrivederci!!!

* Note on schedule. It is the desire of the Staff of the association to give the attendees the experience they want weather it be learning fire craft or exploring Italy and with that in mind our schedule will remain flexible to suit the needs of the attendees.

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
OUr new website is up!! check out www.poidpois.com

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
can i have my tape back plaese?

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti