margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
you know - those people who ring up from x research company and want you to do a survey on some crap?? anyone in england gotten any lately?? about air travel??

just curious...

meditate

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FunkFishWatch out as ultimate Cute and Funkyness arives...
191 posts

Posted:
we have those in holland 2.... frown

Push me, and then just hurt me, till i can get my satisfaction...

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
i think they're a bit of an epidemic!! biggrin

191 posts

Posted:
we should hire exterminators biggrin

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Only surefire way to get yourself off of those calling lists:
"Hello?"
"Hi, this a research company calling for Mr. Smith. Is he available?"
(Suddenly quiet and sombre) "Oh...no, I'm afraid he was killed in a car accident yesterday."
(Caught totally off guard) "Oh, ah...um....okay....right, sorry....thank you anyway...uh..." (Hangs up, never to call again)

Morbid but immeasurably effective.

191 posts

Posted:
lol.... i got one....

"hello do u want to save costs on your pfhone bill?'"
"well no sorry.... i am wasting your time"
"no your not wating my time"
"yes i am"
"no your not"
"then your wasting mine" Click

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
but paddy - that one would only work if they knew your name!! ubblol

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I have, on more than one occasion, after a long bad day at work come home and had my phone ring with those idiots asking for a moment of my time.

My way of dealing with them:

Ask them for their home number when they ask why I then usually get very terse and say "So that I can annoy you at your home when you are trying to relax just like you are doing to me right now"

Then I proceed to hang up on them.

I know that is a bit nasty but if I wanted strangers calling me I would have a listed number not a private one!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...most of the ones that call me always ask to speak to a certain person. I guess the ones you're getting are random numbers or something. The ones I get seem to come from some kind of list that gets sold and passed around. smile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
cure: get an answering machine

ubbrollsmile

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok

"I know that is a bit nasty but if I wanted strangers calling me I would have a listed number not a private one! "

I work for a telecommunications company. If you have a slient number they are ringing you illegally.

ask their name and the company that they work for and then this is what you need to say....

"This is a slient number and I request that you remove me from the data base and if anyone calls me again from your company I will call the tio" (telecommunications industry ombudsman )

they will freak out and then stop calling... believe me
EDITED_BY: Valura (1089269691)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Now that I didn't know...cool...will try that next time they call and bother me in the middle of my dinner!

Thanks!

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
My dad actually like doing random surveys and such - sad but true. rolleyes

I always try and be polite, after all, its just someone doing their job, and its gotta be a hard and sh*tty one, one i'm glad i don't have to do, but at least they are earning an honest living.

It takes 2 seconds to say, sorry, i'm not interested, and usually they are fine with, and expect that.

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
A mate in Michigan said these things have been made illegal unless they're soliciting for a charity. Oh, the bliss.

UK people can get their number listed on the phone preference system which basically means it's illegal for unsolicited cold callers.

One of the blokes at work hung up on one of these people once, only for him to call back a second later to reprimand him on his rudeness.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
My dad once got a call from some charity asking for money, and he asked if the guy could give him a little more info about the charity. He wouldn't, and just said he would when he donated or something. When my dad persisted, the guy got more and more annoyed, so my dad said "you're yelling at me". the guy yelled back "i'm not yelling, you're just not listening!" and hung up. ubblol
I sometimes try to get telemarketers to hang up on me- nothing mean-spirited, just asking if they could also sell me some polka-dotted underwear with that newspaper subscription, or something. It's fun, and it gives the telemarketers a break from the monotony of people hanging up on them! biggrin

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
At work experinace I had to ring around rest's home to see if they wanted 'fully funded NVQ training for health and social care for staff under 25'

Sheesh! Some of the peopel picking up the phone can't even speak english, and there looking after our elderly!

me - hello could i speak for the home manager please?

indian care worker with horrible english - hoe?

me - the care manger please?

indian care worker with horrible care english - oh yis, peekin. wha yoo whan?

me - yes hello, i was just wondering if yor interested in free NVQ training..ect

indian care worker with horrible english - wha?

*i repeat*

indian care worker with horrible english - ah, hand own won momeent ples, i jist git de, uh, manager for yow ok?

me - *stiffled laughter* ok then

still makes me laugh thinking about it biggrin
EDITED_BY: x_aimee_x (1089320658)

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
eera said: UK people can get their number listed on the phone preference system which basically means it's illegal for unsolicited cold callers.

medusa said: I know that is a bit nasty but if I wanted strangers calling me I would have a listed number not a private one!

this is all true - but the problem arises when your number was once listed! if that makes any sense! some companies just use the net to get numbers - and very often the list is old. the old lists are free, whereas the up to date lists cost money! so if your number used to be listed, then you'll probably still get calls!! it's very easy to get numbers on the net! i know for the uk there's a website where you just type in a surname and a town and it'll give you a list of names, numbers and addresses!!!

i haven't actually done a phone survey - i never seem to be eligble!! the last one i got needed someone over 30 who smokes!! hehe (i'm a non smoking 23 year old!!)

biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i got one this morning. both my parents were out.

hello could i speak to the home owner please?
no, there both out
ok i'll ring back later

*5 seconds later*

hello could i speak to the home owner please?
censored off! you just censored rang you censored *slam phone down*

im sorry but when they wake me up from my only lay-in of the week they're in for it even before they've dialed the number

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Many years ago, i used to run a telesales office. I recruited hapless teenagers like myself, to sit in a badly lit room all day and ring people who weren't the slightest bit interested in UVC doors windows and conservatories.

Whenever i get rung up, i first of all point out that they're (usually) very obviously using a script. You can hear it in the voice. Monotone delivery. They will automatically say "no, we don't use scripts", because that's what the script tells you to say.
I then give them a ten to fifteen minute sales lecture, explaining the 5 impulse factors to making a sale, etc. Then i tell them i'm living in a rented house.

They don't ring so much anymore.

I'm lonely now.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mags The Jedi

They don't ring so much anymore.

I'm lonely now.

Maybe you could call random people? Tell them you are lonely and ask them to talk to you? wink

Never had anyone i didn't already know call me for a random chat about nothing much before - imagine it would be a bit freaky eek

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Vestergaardstranger
22 posts

Posted:
I love playing a retard when I get those calls...

I know it's pretty low, but it's so much fun...

Chr

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my faily's favoite was when we got one trying to sell time share at a town near us. now we know that town pretty well so we thought we'd test the knowledge of the telemarketer...so the telemarketer was saying how its located a 5min walk from the beach...so mum said that that was interesting cos we knew it was a 30min drive from the beach! etc ubblol they didnt klnow what to say cos it didnt say on the script what to say when you're proven wrong!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...