DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey all

Quite a few of you seem to have good advice when it comes to herbally, healthy type things so...

I'm having a mole removed tomorrow (Eeeeeek!!) and it's probably going to leave a scar about 3cm long - just wondered if anyone knew any things to put on it to reduce the scarring?

Or if anyone has any words of comfort for one pretty nervous fwirler?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
i had a couple frozen off, and the scars they warned me about never showed. you could be lucky depending on how 'deep' they are smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Durbs, put sunscreen on the area for one year if it's at all sun-exposed. That will help keep the scar from being prominent.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Stretch??

Depends where the mole is I suspect wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Arm UCOF, arm...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I bruise like peach, and scar like a ....scarry thing.
I use cocoa butter. It's got vitamin E in it which helps reduced scarrig and redness. I always forget to put it on through-out tehheday so what i usually do is whack a load of it on before i got to bed and stick a plaster on it. Ben usuing it fro about 5 weeks now and the big ugly scar on my knee has gone down loads.

Aimz xx

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Aimee. I forgot about that. Vitamin E, 1000 IU once daily for 1-2 months. But the sunscreen is the most important thing. Put it on EVERY DAY, regardless of whether you're going to be outside.

-Mike

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
um, just as personal experience (and having a lot of scars), I found the thing that helped reduce scarring the most in my case was Rose Hip oil. Vitamin E is definately a plus tho.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Im with flynt.
I have more scars then skin almost.. tee hee (huge exaggeration)
I used palmers cocoa butter on my big scar on my leg and it has helped to fade it to almost nothing... I have been told that almond oil helps too...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Topical silicon gel is very commonly used for scar reduction - this is not the same thing as silicon grease.

Anything that lists Horsetail Fern (Scouring Rush) , genera Equisetum has a herbal origin

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
use vitamin E IT HELP REDUCE THE SCARING

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Not quiiite on topic, but when I burn myself my mum always snaps an aloe vera leaf and rubs the oil onto the afflicted area. As with all this hippy medicine, I haven't got a clue whether it helps or not.

Davy

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Aloe Vera is the bomb,

I once burned the arm off myself while steaming milk for a latte, the chef pulled out his aloe vera plant before the first aid box, it did the job, no scar.....

*Edited for clarity*

On another note, the very first time I lit my staff i burned myself quite badly on my side where I manged to jam my staff. it was the hot metal, not the flame that did it. I used hydrogel as emergency care for the burn, I have a very light scar now that could've been alot worse. Must check and see whats in the hydrogel. Nothing natural i'd say.

*End Edited for clarity*

I often tell this to girls when they ask me if spinning is dangerous. Its alway nice to have an excuse to show peolple my ab-less belly smile

EDITED_BY: ado-p (1089123197)

Love is the law.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
lavender oil works wonders on scars
also sandalwood oil I think (for a less floral scent)
comfrey helps things heal fast (but that may increase scarring - great for nasty bruises though)

vitamin E oil - either straight or wheatgerm oil has lots in it

even just vaseline can help cuts heal faster (but make sure it's all good and clean, and probably not a good thing for burns)

oh, and don't pick at the scab

good luck hug
and remember, scars aren't all bad smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
well, that was painless (literally - I can't feel most of my arm...)

3 stitches too - lovely

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Maximus Egomember
10 posts

Posted:
Let's not confuse the treatment of burns with the treatment of scars.
And scar tissue is different from those brown marks that remain after minor touches with fire. Scar tissue is usually lighter, harder, and more brittle than the surrounding tissue. Anything that nourishes and moisturizes the skin will help. I recommend wheat germ oil (loaded with vitamin E), tea tree oil, and honey (learned it from Pele). Commercial anti-scar creams often contain vitamin K. I also agree about aloe vera and lavender oil.
Now those little dark marks are actually extra-tanned spots caused by the sun on damaged surface areas which have lost some of their ability to protect themselves from the sun. That's why Lightening recommends sunscreen. Good advice.

peace,
Maximus

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
vitamin E.....especially the oil, cause you can rub it right into the scar. i had my nipp pierced and had to take it out, and used the oil on the scars. worked quite well.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
I had my arm pierced, had to take them out, but I didn't put anything onto the wounds. Now there are pretty little scars going across the back of my wrist, probably permanant. Luckily I quite like them, otherwise that would be a drag.

Davy

Aleksjourneyman
64 posts

Posted:
A second for the Aloe Vera!

Look at me twirl my pretty rainbow poi in my rainbowhat with my rainbow earings and my rainbow top etc.....

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
awww hunny!!! :hugs:

Thirded the vit e oil.. I got some at home.. will give you some.. you can put it on when the skin hasn't healed yet, but you must carry on for ages and ages after.. My mate Snake went thru a car windscreen and smashed up his face.. I gave him loads and practically made him bath his face in it.. he had a huge scar on his forehead - did look pretty gross to be honest.. but now a year later, it's still noticable.. but not as pronouced as it was..

see you tonight maybe if it's not too rainy.. if not are we just going to the pub?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flynt

I found the thing that helped reduce scarring the most in my case was Rose Hip oil.

Ditto, had to have some surgery done, and thats what my plastic sugeon suggested. Seems to have worked well too - Especially since redheads and black africans are more suseptable to scarring (my surgeon told me that, also said they are not sure why) but despite being a natural redhead, my scarrings not too bad smile

Good luck with the mole removal healing - sure it will all go fabulously hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
But scars make better stories than tattoos... you could make up a great story for a 3cm scar

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Did I mention sunblock? wink

-Mike

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, stitches come out tomorow, after which it shall be bathed in sunscreen, vitamin E and even more sunscreen. With Savalon.

I might even put a picture up of it smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, and Durbs? Please do not do what your avatar does. That makes scars heal poorly. ubblol

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ubblol!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**