ber sealThe Official London juggling über spy. shh! dont tell any one
419 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to set up a web site at the mo biggrin

and I had an ubbidea for the log book https://twistedjuggler.tripod.com/aboutme/index.html.dates

what I want to do is turn all the dates in to onclick buttons.
and have text come up in the textarea next to it.

but beacuse I only found out what java was a week ago, I have no idea how to do this. confused

if any of you geeks out there in geekdom kown how I can do this, know of a web site where I can find out or could just do it for me.
I will ubblove you for a very long time.

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you want to be using forms:

look here for a tutorial:

w3c school

Or google for XHTML (and or forms) to come up with more.

The thing is, webpages were never designed to be interactive, (and still aren't) So if you do put a form in your webpage, it will 'POST' its inputed data (like: I was clicked!) back to a server, where the server will decide what to do: like update the webpage. The client won't really do any processing at all.

This is a bit superpowered and hardcore for what you want to do. Instead I suggest client side includes and javascript ( mad2 ) Bear in mind: javascript has ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION TO JAVA. They are not the same thing, decended from the same thing, or indeed similar.

There are plenty of javascript sites out there, check google or try:

javascript1

javascript2

ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

419 posts

Posted:
thanks mpc. I did mean javascript, as aposed to java.

I'll give them a look over.

or i'll just throw the comp out of the house.

one way I'll sort out the problem

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
I think all you need to do is put 'onClick="the_text.value='your text here';"

I think... It's been a while since i coded any web stuff but it should just be a case of getting the name of your text area (the_text i think from looking at your source) and setting it's value. You shouldn't need any POST or GET or any of that form stuff.

hope this helps peace

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ooooh, pardon my thickness - but what IS the difference between Java (as in applets?) and Javascript?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Java is compiled, not always into an executable, but into byte code

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Java is java, javascript is a scripting language that came out a little after java and attempted to steal some of it's popularity by nicking it's name. Sometimes javascripts is also refered to as SCMAScript or somesuch, which as you can tell sounds nothing like java. Plus they aren't even made by the same people.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

137 posts

Posted:
Java is a proper programming language (like C) for writing proper applications or applets (little applications that run in a web-browser).

Javascript is like mini-java and is used for writing little bits of interactivity into web pages. It can also be used to make kick-ass pages like www.htmlguru.com without the need for flash or anything like that

Hope that makes things clearer. I think i've just confused myself confused ubbloco

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Javascript has no relationship to Java, completely seperate languages, one of which ripped the name off the other because they thought it'd sound cool

137 posts

Posted:
They're actually very similar in the way you write the code. Same format for method declarations, variable declarations and loops. And the way you access the DOM in javascript is almost identical to the Class structure of java. They may have been developed by different people but it is called Javascript for a reason

/geek

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That reason is to rip off Java. Java isn't called C++++ (Or ++++C) (Or D) (Or even E).

Javascript is a blatant trademark infringement if you ask me.

137 posts

Posted:
tongueuts on pedant hat:

Written by:

Netscape and Sun jointly announced the new language on December 4, 1995, calling it a "complement" to both HTML and Java.

from https://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/04/06/js_history.html

/pedant
more ubblove less confused
cool weavesmiley

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
offtopic
I love coffee, I love tea,
I love the Java Jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me,
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

I love java sweet and hot,
Whoops, Mister Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot, and I'll pour me a shot,
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

419 posts

Posted:
my head hurts.

I see why people get payed to do all of this now.

1,148 posts

Posted:
to answer your original question tho

then setup your dates as such

Date 1
Date 2

for the area you want to display the text, it doesn't have to be a textarea, use a div instead. I've added a style to it so that the height and width remain the same, scroll if the text is longer
than the alloted height.

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

419 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help in hurting my head more.

think I should leave this one for now.

will work on it again some time.

ubbloco

1,148 posts

Posted:
biggrin

confused I thought I made it pretty easy tho, ah well

Ars Pyronomica