Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ever tried kicking your staff?

Login/Join to Participate

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
i made my own staff , i wittled it out of some wood , its about 5 foot long . anyways ... so one day im spinning it and practicing some throws ... one of my throws went a bit wayward , so thinking on my feet i went to kick it lick a soccer ball . to my great disbelief the staff bounced back up directly in the air , and i thought to my self " catch it " .... and the rest is history!
from then on ive been practicing kicks all over ... here so of my ideas
1: wear good strong shoes for this!!!

2: try using a wooden staff if possible, it does work with a aluminium one , but then its not a slap kick , more of a timed catch-and-flick.

3: start just by dropping horizontally and kicking back to you

4: then try and kick it over your head ... either turn around and catch it , or try and do a no-look catch...

5: now drop horizontally and kick the staff just to the left or right of center. the idea is , to get the staff to spin back up to you... kick on the right to spin left and visa versa

6: practice your catch and flick cause you can use it for the next move . do the kick to spin move , but this time get it over your head (the catch and flick takes the sore-ness out of this move and is more controlled ) now you may want to turn around and catch the staff , cause doing the no-look on this one becomes a bit sore!!!

there are lots more moves that go with kicking your staff , too many for me to sit and type... but go out there , try it , see what you think? incorporate it into your own moves as well...

thanks for time...

homegrowen

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if you love something, you must kick it.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
if the staff has a flexable inercore such as fiberglass it will bounce. kicking the staff is a common staff move keep practing it and evently you will be able to kick it from in front of you to behind you and vise versa

godd luck with your staff best wishes

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I often flick my staff back up with my toes if I drop it, but I wouldn't try kicking it, simply because it would bend. Mind you, does sound like there's room for some cool combos and I'll for sure try it when I complete my brand spankin new wood one. smile

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
indeed, it's the kind of scoop/catch you use sometimes if you hack that works best for this..You can roll around the leg from BTL moves down to the foot and toss back up eh, tis my fave
EDITED_BY: musashii (1088736904)

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bad Staff! *kick* Go to your bed!

*ahem*

Yes, but don't kick it 2 hard or you get a shabby pair of spinning batons smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

633 posts

Posted:
now then staff , have you learnt you lesson ...???
good ... you can go and play now... smile

6,978 posts

Posted:
from soccerballs to dinner plates, mankind has always been on a collision course to kick that which he loveth.
it must be a hard habit to kick.

ba da boom. smile

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
lol, oh god :P

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
yep, i just started playing with some of this - with doubles alternates outwards drop one onto your foot while passing the other from one hand to the other behind the back, when the kicked staff bounces back up catch it with the other hand.. never tried kicking it behind me .. (runs off to play ... biggrin

6,978 posts

Posted:
plus i dun really kick my luverlies.
what i's do to my sticks is like the controlled hand motion in juggling: slow movement to rapid release into whatever diection.
also, to 'kick' the staff off it's centre provides a nice opportunity to control the arc and rotation of the staff as it flies possibly near prams.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've tried a heap of various kicks such as knee kicks, and kicking using the sole of your foot. Maybe it's my hacky experience that has got my mind thinking about that stuff. I think stalling is easier.
It's a once off thing though, and I'm far from integrating it into any sort of routine.
Best thing I ever did was a 720 degree throw, knee bump, spin, catch. Absolute fluke.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
check::
[Old link], [Old link]

POINT! (? is this the year 2000? where am I?) oh yeah, i'm posting on HoP again. There goes the rest of my summer. =oP

seriously though, if you don't pick up the staffs for like 6 months, apparently contact moves are a lot easier. yay! who knew? i consider kicking and throwing to be dis-contact moves, which was all I could do before very well. :shrug:

-- dut

6,978 posts

Posted:
lolz surely i get a point for mentioning that points are a dead donnkey now!
welcome back cherished Hopper!! may your staff always be in contact with yooo!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
My fire troupe often indulge in games of "fire soccer" where we kick the staves to each others hands, twirl for a beat or so, drop, and kick them on to the next person. If everyone stands in a huge circle you can get some cool patterns going across the circle. It gets a great audience response in our city centre, plus its loads of fun : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

6,978 posts

Posted:
you aussie twirlers are crazy fly, but i like yoooo! biggrin

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
that brings another evolution, mixing fire soccer with hacky sack.

mm, a burning sack that you kick to each other. what could be more fun?

let the fire hackey begin!

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

633 posts

Posted:
i like mig i like ... hmmm that makes me think , ive got some left over kevlar , i could sow it up quick and see what happens...

*homemade-doesnt run off to go and explore the possiblities ,cause he doesnt have any fire friends frown instead he puts the thought in his pocket , never to loose it*

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
we play fire hackey! It;s great fun!
make one and try it if you haven't already
: )
you can even pick it up as long as you don't hold it in your hands
for toooo long! *ouchies!*

Eveish

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

633 posts

Posted:
that must look awesome on video man ... realy cool idea

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've got some good fire hacky on video. Not quite 'circles of light' material but I could put it up on the net somewhere.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ook, so how does one go about making one?? Is it simply a kewvlar hack that you've sewn together, with steel shot inside? soo glag you guys know how, I've always wanted to know how to make one

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

633 posts

Posted:
well i dont know exactly how , but if i were to give it a try , id say

cut the kevlar out using a common hackey sack design , sew it up almost all the way , then fill half way with beach sand (?) sand makes the best hackeys , though im not 100% sure that the heat wont cause a reaction out of the sand ??? try it , tell us how it goes ???

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i dont think that paraffin/kerosene fire would be quite hot enough to melt the sand. course, if it did, the you'd have a lovely glass centre in your hackey sack.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
The ones that i've played with use this rock substance (?volcanic rock) as the filling. They're about twice as large as the beads used in normal hackies, which means you dont have to weave the outer so tight and risk losing the filling.

It's true that sand makes the best hackies. But you need to make damn sure your outer panel sewing is very good or else the sand will leak.

633 posts

Posted:
thats right , all you need is to follow the outlining of a tennis ball to make it easy on the sewing. i dont think that i was worried about the sand melting per say , just that sometimes the sand can get so hot it can explode . not like huge , run and duck for cover ... but hot burning sand on the body , is deffinatly 1st degree burn , rush to the hospital type thing .

that volcanic stuff sounds like a good deal footbag , its already burnt ...