Forums > Social Chat > poi moves while sitting or lying down???

Login/Join to Participate

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
hello all,Not long ago i saw someone in the middle of a particularly good staff routine suddenly go into a break-dancing style routine. Does anyone know of any similar moves that can be done with poi. it look wicked.REGULARLY CAINED AND GENERALLY UNABLE.

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
ive seen ppl lieing on there backs doing the butterfly with poi.....its a dificult moveamd to make things better it doesnt look too impressive, but its a chalange to do as we discovered last wednesday.i know i probebly didnt help any but i felt i just had to make my contrabution... cool

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Almost anything I can do standing, I can do sitting or kneeling with a few minor arm adjustments (keeping my arms out and higher than normal.)Laying down you can do the butterfly derrivitives, the weave, thread the needle...which with fire does look impressive because it is vey much over your face. You can also do some rolling moves (see the ground rolling thread in the new oves section for ideas).Hope this helps.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
cheers guys!Ive sort of mastered the butterfly on my back.The most difficult thing i found was getting from the standing to lying position. Pele, U do it gradually or just fall backwards?Mostly Cained and generally Unable. tongue

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Gradually. I weave or some such thing down onto my knees and lean back through my ankles (so that my heels actually are touching my hips. I straighten my legs out by sliding them along the floor and there i am. I imagine you can also go from kneeling onto your butt by sitting next to your legs and laying down from there. Hope this helps.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
If you can do the butterfly on your back or nealing and bending backwards with fire it looks realy good if you breathe when the meet at the top.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
oh yes. Last weekend I managed to breathe through poi (not lying down though) and it was such fun, a real rush. Chris has been doing the lying down butterfly ever since I ve known him, we tend not to do it on stage much, its not what i'd call a performance-safe move (yet). But on finally hearing something intersting to try, i'm going to sign off and have a play right now! thanks!

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For those with trust in their abilities and friends there is an on the back move Prometheus and I do jointly...I do the butterfly on my back..bringing it down near my body...Prometheus does this amazingly graceful (at least from my perspective) dive roll over me with his fire staff in hand. We have it choreographed into backwards rolls from there, so we roll past each other on stage, and then stand and go into a "mirror" routine, me with poi, he with staff. My understanding is it looks amazing.Something for you to entertain.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele