Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
This is sort of an appendage of the "Moral Dilema" post but that post sort of changed topics to this, so here is my puzzle, one of my favourites cos it's they only one of these damn things i've ever been able to solve.

Four prisoners of war are facing the death sentance, the are lined up 3 one side of a brick wall and one on the other.

They are all facing the wall in a perfect line, P1 can see P2 & P3, P2 can see P3 and P3 & P4 can see no one. They are not alloud to move.

They are each given a pointy wizard hat of either white (P1 & P3) or blue (P2 & p4) and told that if one of them can figure out what colour hat they are wearing they can all go free.
They are given 30 secs to figure it out, after 15 seconds Prisoner 2 says "I'm wearing a blue Hat"

How did they know??

answer to come

( HINT , it might help to draw a little picture, i tried but i couldn't figure out how to post it)

[ 25 May 2002, 05:23: Message edited by: Khamelean ]

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...

HellCatmember
32 posts

Posted:
ummm P1 and P3 are both wearing white? *shrugs* lol that's my guess..hehehe

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect ^.~

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Since they all know there are two hats of each colour, P2 figures that P2 and P3 cannot be wearing the same colour hat or else P1 could see and know the colour of his hat (the different colour to P2 and P3); hence, P2 must be wearing a hat of different colour to P3.

Yay! What do I win??

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
respect...

i was hoping to draw it out a little longer than 20 mins before someone got the answer, your all just to clever for me...

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...