Page:
firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
from one of my other posts, I discovered that a lot of people are reading some pretty good books at the mo!

So this begs the question, what is your favourite book of all time? Answers on a postcard please!! Haha!

Loves ya! xxxxx ubbangel

If at first you don't succeed.......get someone else to do it for you!

shimmy! x

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
StormFeather- the author you were trying to remember was Robert Rankin; he's great, like Terry Pratchett but more off the wall.
My favorite books at the moment are:
The Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman- it's one of the greatest tales i've ever read, bringing everything into one story.
The Dice Man by Luke Reinhart- it was such a curious book and the concept was so simple but so crazy at the same time, and I LOVED the ending!
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie- I read this cos I wanted to know what somebody could write that would cause a fatwa to be placed on them. It was pretty hard going at first, but once I got into it, I really loved the idea of the dichotomy (I think that's the word) between the two main characters, and the uncertainty of the whole thing was very cool.
Dear Monkey- trans. by Arthur Waley, abridged by Alison Waley. I knew these people and this is a great story. In case you're wondering, yes, it is the basis for the 'Monkey' 70s tv show and is way, way cooler than that! Have read this so many times I've lost count.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
My favorite has to be the whole of the lord of the rings series (I have all three books compiled in one big paperback, so it counts as a single book) biggrin

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
majik, Starhawk also wrote the Spiral Dance, which is considered a classic reference on the practices and philosophies of witchcraft.

For suckers of really great fantasy, and you are “Bored of the Rings” (a real book btw) then try Robin Hobb’s trilogies viz: The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy. (no offence to LOTR fans, though smile).

My all-time favourite would be The Magician by Raymond Feist, even if there are now so many sequels that I’ve lost track.

I always thought the Clan of the Cave Bear was ok, and I seem to remember how Neanderthals were portrayed, whenever I watch documentaries about human evolution.

I’m pretty sure Luke Reinhart was out here recently, but I’m not sure if he has a new book or what.

Just started the DaVinci Code, which has been highly recommended wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I am in the middle of reading an extremely good but disturbing book...an autobiography.

It is about a child who was bought up with an abusive mother...and although it is disgusting what you read the inspiration behind this persons will for survival is absolutley awe inspiring.

It has had me close to tears a number of times already and I am only 85 pages in to it.

The book:

A Child Called "It" - Dave Pelzer

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
My personal opinion on the Da Vinci Code is that it's interesting, but not that well written. I found it quite simple reading. Now, if it had been written by Frank Forsyth (I think that's the right first name!) it would have been much better!

I've read two of his books and I would say that
"The Day of the Jackal" (yes, as in the movie!) and
"the Odessa File" are brilliant. Da Vinci Code type of fact and fantasy, however I think they're much, much better written. To the point where it was hard to believe they were fiction!

I read "the Odessa File" while travelling and, as you do, swapped the book with people and it did the rounds of the bus network I was travelling on! Even though it was stuck together with fluro green gaffa tape!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Books by James A. Michener, "The Drifters" being my all time favourite.
P.Coelho, all his books.
The Earth Children (waiting for the sixth one now!)

"The Book of Sapphire" by Gilbert Sinoue (very, very good, if you like The Name of the Rose, Celestine Prophecy...)

Last book I read: Losing Gemma (or how backpacking in India can go very wrong. Really gave me the shivers, that one!)

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: Medusa

I am in the middle of reading an extremely good but disturbing book...an autobiography.

It is about a child who was bought up with an abusive mother...and although it is disgusting what you read the inspiration behind this persons will for survival is absolutley awe inspiring.

It has had me close to tears a number of times already and I am only 85 pages in to it.

The book:

A Child Called "It" - Dave Pelzer

Ive read all of them (its a trilogy about his life with his mum then his life as a foster child and when he's grown up and is getting married and has a son)

My favorite book has to be "the well of lonelyness" by Radcliff Hall, it was banned when in the 1930s when it was written and its about an aristocratic lesbian in the 30s trying to get past all the predudice and just live normallyits a wonderful book.

and anything by terry prattchett
EDITED_BY: thegreatBJ (1131983757)

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
read my favourite books and you'll get a slight insight into how my mind works biggrin

"It" - Steven King
"Endless Night" - Richard Laymon
"Enders Shadow" - Orson Scott Card (well any of the Ender Wiggan Saga, they are all amazing, but that is my favourite)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
anything by roald dahl
HP, like duh.
Lone Pine series by Malcolm Saville.
They Found A Cave - Nan Chauncy. (this has probably been out of print longer than i've been alive)
the lemony snickett whatitsfaces
NARNIA!!

captain corellis mandolin - louis de bernieres. .
middlesex - jeffery eugenides.
the legends of the raven and the chronicles of the raven - james barclay
the pern books - anne mccaffery
social histories and biographies of normal people are always interesting too.

I was going to stick in a little synopsis/reviewy thing but you kids have the power of the interweb at your fingers, do it yourselves.

(oh and i've read the dave pelzer books. i've also read some fairly interesting articles on that man. i don't believe him)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Eragon by Christoper Paolini!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SpeedBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Amen to The Life of Pi, a fantastic book, possibly my favourite!

Dean Koontz and Stephen King are awesome too... gotta love the scary stuff smile

bounce

The goth-girl who was introduced to fire...

The only thing in the world that there's not enough of apart from hot guys and chocolate, is Pyros

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
quite possibly, this is the greatest book ever written...
https://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail84.html
Do yourself a favour, and enjoy

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh my favourit book has to be The Pool of Radiance, Im reading it a second time and I had totally forgoten what was in it, thats the great thing about books over films, you can re-read them and enjoy them al over again. I definatly must get a hold of some more forgotten Realms books, infact I will e-bay for some right now.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Narnia Chronicles. I think the religious and sociological tones are amazingly illustrated through a fantacy children's realm. Lovely and so powerful. It's something that as I reread them at different stages in my life I learn or pick up new stuff each time.

Letters to a Young Wife from and Old Mistress Wow.

I believe that Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice will someday be turned into it's own religion by someone. Seriously.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is one of the fastest and yet most thought provoking books I have ever read.

Wise Women by Susan Cahill is about the women in history from Sheherazade to Mary and even excerpts from the Joan of Arc trial transcripts. Amazing and inspiring.

Nigger It made me really stop and think about the power that we imbue words with, and how they really are not that strong unless we allow them to be. An AMAZING book.

and my all time, I think everyone must read them books....

The Pressed Fairy Book by Brian Froud

anything by the immortal Shel Silverstein but most especially The Giving Tree which makes adult men I know cry and Where the Sidewalk Ends because it has "Listen to the Mustn'ts", "Come in" and "Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me" in it.

and finally The Lorax Dr. Suess, wonderful..simply overwhelmingly, thought provokingly wonderful

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Are you Dave Gorman?- By Dave Gorman oh and Danny Wallace.

This book is mad. Its funny as fook! Just remember that what they're writing about actually happened!! MAD

You'll find me on the dance floor

Blayzen ButterflyGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
My favourite now is Wrathoo by Storm Constantine. It's a 3 book series. I've also read a few of her others witch I love as well.

Also re-reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

And anything by Crlos Casteneda.

"You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted"

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I am so missing the late Douglas Adams...
His little known book " Last Chance to See" is an all time favorite... laughter and tears... It is about his travel with a photogragher to explore and document species nearing extinction in strange out of the way places. Written in his usual style, lol

Anything by Charles De Lint, Terri Windling Ursula Le Guin for her alternative feminist perspectives... " Always Coming Home" Is a groundbreaking non linear book, fascinating read

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
"go ask alice"

brought back very bad good memories though...

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. An absolute classic... Possibly the best book ever written...
soapbox

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Fierce People - Dirk Wittenborn ...... AMAZING BOOK! Not really sure why just really liked it.

https://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=BOOK&title=277133&p=91&g=148&pa=sr

xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

inosSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
My favourits are may a bit different..

I read books in German and English therefor:

German:
Hermann Hesse: Siddharta and Narzis und Goldmund
Kafka: Der Prozess, die Verwandlung
Alfred Doeblin:Berge Meere und Giganten,

English:
Oscar Wilde: Picture of Dorian Gray
Edgar Ellen Poe: all

current:
Murakami: Norwegen Woods (thanks to my ex!), The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.
Kazuo Ishiguro: Never let me go

Of course JRR Tolkien is great and the Lord of the Rings... I read them 1991 more or less...

NOW what I will read in future is:

German:

more Hesse(Das Glasperlenspiel, Der Steppenwolf, , Jakob der Luegner, Brecht, Max Frisch(Homo Faber, Stiller), more Schiller, some Lessing and more Goethe....

English:
Kenzaburo Oe, Amos Oz,

Classics rules... wink

crappy poier.... its always the paraffins fault...

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I have no favourite book, every time I read something new it replaces my old favourite. :|

BUT, I can tell you my least favourite book of all time.

Crash - J.G.Ballard. It was disgusting, and the story was [censored].

Willy - is bad for your health...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I find it very hard to choose faveorites but I guess:

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (think crouching tiger hidden dragon in a book), This is a trilogy, although I haven't got round to reading the last in the series.

Terry Pratchet, of course.

Oh, and James Herbet, particulary 'The Fog' and 'Once'. His books are very dark. Some of them very, very dark!

The God of small things by Arundhati Roy is a very beautiful book.

Ditto the Life of Pi, although the first third is not brilliant, the rest of the book makes up for it.

And for those of you wanting the dirty trash- Big Apple by Pat Booth!

Ah, there are too many to mention!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page: