KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Hi! I know a few of you teach poi in formal classes and stuff (and if I'm anywhere near your area, I will definitely sign up for them)... A few friends of mine have asked me to "teach" them what I know (not that' it's a heck of a whole lot... but anyway biggrin)

Just wondering if I might be able to ask for a little bit of help with waiver forms and stuff. Safety is always a major issue, but as everyone might know... things do happen... and I'd rather not see the legal side of it all. ubbloco

As for the "lessons" how do you start? Where do you start???

Anyway, thanks for the help... hopefully there'll be a group of resident fire-spinners in Manila soon. weavesmiley

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, obviously, if youre teaching someone you shouldnt be using fire. In which case I dont see reason for a waiver form. Also, if they're your friends, they shouldnt be suing you for anything to begin with.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
No worries then! biggrin I've taught both my sisters and a couple of friends with unlit ones. They don't start with fire until they're completely comfortable with what their doing... This saturday, a few people I don't really know have asked to give it a go (obviously the unlit ones first, but I think their main objective is to light eventually.) Just like manufacturers have disclaimers, and camps have non-indemnity forms it's still somewhat relevant to have a sheet of paper to hang on to. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. wink I'm sure I'll find something, will look a bit harder... smile

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
In that case, Id say to teach them with a practice set and if they end up wanting to light em up, tell em they can but its on them. Spinning fire the first day of learning is really not advisable. If they want to light up, dont stop them but let them know that you dont condone it. Then be the best safety you can be. I dont really see a reason to rush into fire, theres not much point if you can only do the weave and butterfly (which is all you can really hope for in a day).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Hi! I've been teaching poi at a formal dance studio for a couple years. The studio that I teach at requires all students to fill out a liability form that clears the studio of liability in case they get hurt... I'll try to get a copy of it up here sometime next week.

We only use practice poi in the studio. It's nice to have a mirror. I can easily keep an eye on everyone and they can see me from both front and back. Mirrors are good to see if their planes are straight too.

I start class with stretches and spend a few minutes talking about a different topic each week (topics include: a brief history, different kinds of poi ~socks, tennis balls, bean bags and other materials, single vs double loop handles, flags, led poi etc..., current trends in poi, textiles to wear with fire spinning, fire performer's insurance options, sometimes a short video clip, info about upcoming shows around town, fire safety, etc...)

Then, we spin for about half an hour. Everyone has something to work on no matter what level they are at. Like, if the beginners are learning the butterfly, more advanced can be learning fancy butterfly variations at the same time.

We end class by going out to the parking lot. There, people who are ready will practice burning. Everyone else learns about the responsibility of fire safety. I leave it up to them to decide when they are ready to spin fire. Most wait anywhere from 1 1/2 months to a year or maybe never in some cases. Maybe cuz I make a big deal about safety, some get scared off.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little... Everyone develops their own teaching style. There is a beautiful and inspiring thread somewhere on this website about teaching that I found when I first began. It brought tears to my eyes, you should look for it. Congratulations on sharing this beautiful art form. I find teaching to be very rewarding. Good luck to you!

I AM working.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Soo....
I scanned a waiver form and put it here:

https://www.strivedreams.com/liability-waiver.html

I'm not sure how legally binding it is,
but anyways there it is!
smile

I AM working.