Page:
Dragonflymember
19 posts

Posted:
A have a question for ya all. How is your poi skills when you are drunk. I feel like a few drinks can improve my skills in some areas such as skateboarding, tricks on bikes etc. But when I poi I SUCK! I mean really suck, even if I have two drinks I smash myself in the head about 40 times.

Now I know this makes sense but I have never been so effected by a few drinks in anything else I have done.... How does it effect all of you?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I find that I'm pretty much as good as normal when I'm drunk but I don't get as much pleasure out if it and I do burn myself a bit!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Poing whilst drunk sucks bad
You think that you could be really good, and then you can't even do the tricks that you normally do.
The worst time for me was after an Absinth evening, i was playing around with my fire-poi, unlit, luckily. A perfectly normal and safe butterfly ends up as a let go of one poi and have it land in the gutter on the roof butterfly. This results in ladder climbing and much cursing from house owners. I much prefer to poi stoned. Which is lucky what with the daily intake

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Smoke and fly not drink and fry!

I don't need to get my fringe cut for a while..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Nightmare. It hurts less when I hit m'self, so thatz always good. But I hit myself loads more. The bruises are mental!.....Ouch!

As Fire Dragon said... Smoke 'n' fly!

TrickySmile at a stranger!

Bondmember
5 posts

Posted:
I think that spinning poi while on pretty much anything can be horrible. I was at a rave and spinning and for the first few hours I was doing great. Then I decided to do some E. WWWEEEELLLLL..... let me tell you how discoridinated I was. I banned myself from fire and stuck to glow sticks ( good thing too I smashed myself about a billion times). Drinking and doing poi isn't something I would consider. I know for a fact that I would hurt myself VERY badly. But then I've heard of people doing really great stuff while being inebriated on whatever. So, it dependes on the person I think. But it is much better to smoke N' fly I've smoked lots and spun and always am fine.

safe journeys...happy trails...and remember to smile once and awile on your journey through life

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
gotta admit... a single drink and I have no coordination spinning poi. I can have a couple of beers and twirl with no coordination side effects, but it only takes one beer for poi.

however, to twirl or spin in the land of green is blissfull and welcomed!!

... puff the magic dragon, spinned by the sea, he toked and spun better, it's no an-om-o-ly...

dammit. got side tracked again. what were we talking about?

[ 25 May 2002, 07:22: Message edited by: toneman ]

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
2 words

not recommended..

or...

swollen nuts

i try not to anymore...
Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
Hum...
as my first time with fire was while drunk...
nope no coordination whatsoever. but i have to admit it's funny and even funnier is watching someone else poi while drunk- you know the can't walk a straight line thing...hehe

peace and love
Acid

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
God Made The Grass, And It Was Good.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
P.S. Thats got one of those C inside the circle copyright whatchamahookas on it. it belongs to me. even though i dont really care if you use it.....

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
never dare go near fire when drunk - i always stick to electroglos! light and so far less painful!
always smoke rather than drink if spinning fire - far safer!!

jexXymember
37 posts

Posted:
Alcohol totally effects my performance with things like this. i notice it also really bad when i'm trying to have a mix, even after a couple of drinks, as i think it slows your reaction time so its just that bit harder to keep the beat in, i guess its similar to poi in a way cos u have to keep a mental rythm (sp?) and deviating causes accidents and embarrassment hehe.... much better after a few js and that goes for most things hehe

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I only do fire SOBER. It's not necessarily that my poiing skills are any worse on various substances, but it's that my ability to deal with a mishap must not be compromised.

However, I have learned a lot of excellent moves while high, tripping, etc. and using practice poi. That said, I've never tried it drunk and I can't imagine it would go well.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Crumbs.. most of us are tokers.. Glasto's gunno be guuuuddd!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Dragonflymember
19 posts

Posted:
Well, so i see i am not alone in the extreme sucj ass poi after a couple. I would NEVER poi with fire if i had a few.... As for the green stuff, alas i have an allergy and and would find myself writhing on the ground without any interest in anything but the hospital... Never tried poi on E... i imagine that would be as much of a disaster. a whole wack of people i know like to be high though. seems to be the right flavour eh?

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Alchohol - off balance and unco-ordinated.. drink of champions! I don't like being drunk.

E - I love moving from move to move, it feels lovely. I can do my moves very exactly and precisely. depending on how much I do of course.

LSD or Mushrooms - I find my movements are more chaotic but it leaves room for me to invent whole new moves.. I find myself doing things I didn't know how to do previously. Only problem is bringing it back to the sober world.

Crystal - seriously precise, and usually I go too fast.. never hit myself once while on crystal, unless it was a new move that I don't know very well.

Ketamine - if you can manage picking up the poi, and swinging them, you'll be okay, but at a certain point you can't tell what you're doing at all, and you're relying entirely on your body to know what its doing.

Of course, its a given that if you do too much of any drug, you're not gonna be spinning, more like sitting and staring at the wall, or crunching your teeth and trying to keep your eyes from vibrating.

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
Hmm...Ive managed to spin on alcohol, weed, lsd and E without too much of a problem...but I think weed is definitely the best, if you're not taking it seriously, that is! Even better if you're with loadsa your mates too - I took mine to a party on friday and managed to get nearly 100% of the people there trying poi at least once!!
fire on acid, though probably not very sensible is very pretty!

*taking responsibility for my own actions (just about!) *

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Hello
Dunno about fire and LSD the two shoudn't be mixed me thinks...I would have a bad trip and if they were in my hands I'd start yelling at them or something...
I tend to do very well at poi when I'm stonned off my ass and when I'm on pillz, only after the real BIG come up though, I take strong shit.

Any about being drunk... Tried it too many times and always do lots better than normal for like 5 seconds then I usually hit myself so hard I have to sit down...
Stupid as i am and drunk as I get... I tend to pick them up and try them again only to do the same shit... Man I'm dumb when I'm pissed!
Love to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Oh...
Forgot Crystal...
Well I dont really do the drug too much anymore but when I do I feel like I am the best spinner in the world nothing goes wrong... The mind is really sharp!!!!
I loved it on Crys but I dont like Crys too much so its a kinda win loose situation...
Love to all, Drome...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We all realize that there is a difference between how good you FEEL you are and how good you actually are when you are altering your state in anyway.

It always cracks me up when people brag about how good they feel when they're on extacy. Of course you do, dumbass, you're on extacy.

It does frighten me when people mix fire and mind altering drugs. Glowstick all you want. "Naaa man, I feel so much smoother and safer when I twirl on E". Of course you do, dumbass, you're on extacy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
interesting point nyc...

they do call it ecstesy for a reason....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Not all drug users dose up hapharardly.
alot do!
just for a few minutes, consider firetwirling as a stimuli that you choose to activate for a certain rush. that is no different to how i view *recreational* us of drugs. before the party i'm uppers all the way. after 7am, it's time to bliss out. I never dose for the sake of it (any more!!) that said, firetwirling is like bottled adrenaline. I just prefer to break open my bottle when my candyflipped bender returns to town, because the combined e-xhiliration, IMHO, is far more than the sum of merely fire + LSD + E!
drugs aint for everyone, but the same applies for sobriety.

"I've had killer times on drugs, I've had some bad times on drugs too. like Fuck man! look at my haircut!"
-Bill Hicks

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
And remember... only users lose drugs...

-----------
I’ll bring the marshmallows.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
I have spun drunk a few times - namely Schoolies 2001. Those Auzzies on the board will know what Schoolies is.

Yes you can still do it, just nowhere nearly as fluidly as you would while sober though. Poi's and staff are arts that require alot of precision and timing to master. Alchol impares both of these.

PS: I managed to put a split on the bottom of my chin with the bottom of a Poi while doing a butterfly gone wrong on schoolies while drunk.

Oh also while on on the subject of fire injuries a good mate of mine up there FEZZA had a couple of 20c pieces on the ends of his wodden staff (dont ask me why they were there) and he while drunk managed to plough this staff into his side. I could read the Aust... from Australia off his skin as well as make out a pretty good pic of the Queen.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Drugs do make you feel like you're better. But not only that, it makes you more creative. I've indulged a fair number of mind altering substances in my time. It really does make you think about your spinning differently. If anything it gives you ideas and those ideas transfer over to your head when you're sober. That's if you can remember the night before lol.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Well...

I beg to differ with NYC on this one (done meth??)
Anyway some drugs put your mind at a sharp state where all u can think of is precision, of course this depend on how much u have taken of any particualr substance that evening...

Uppers and amphetamines are ussualy cool... the problem is if u hit urself its going to be HARD. People tend to get carried away when they are doing well at poi and then.... BOOM, OUCH!!!!!

I would never try poi on hallucinogenics, like i say Id probably freak out and start yelling at them. Plus safety is an issue in my head and if anything went wrong I would panic and probably go mad!!!!!
Love to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
NYC, definitely don't agree with you there.. I think there's a fine balance between being ultra sharp, and becoming over-confident. If I f*ck up on e or some amphetimine its because I'm either going too fast, or because I got cocky and tried to be a star.. Those reasons will cause f*ckups whether you're sober or not.

Dromepixie, I don't know if I'd do fire spinning while tripping, but flags, tennis ball poi, or staffs, contact.. anything like that is all amazing. It all depends on how high you are and how comfortable you feel, which I think is universal, whether sober or not, if I don't feel like lighting up, I don't feel like lighting up.

Phunky, agree with you 100%. I think its a common cliche at this point that someone should go out to an outdoor party, do some acid, spin for 10 hours straight, and come out insanely talented. I know a few people that credit their skills and moves to lsd.

[ 28 May 2002, 22:25: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think it's about knowing yourself and your limits and being sensible even when on something. Although this is not that common amongst people starting out on their exploration. I've yet to do more than singe my hair by twirling drunk or on drugs, but I know when I'm too gone to spin fire or try complex tricks.

Also I have worked out a lot of moves when on mind altering drugs, but mostly with my imaginary toys because they're a lot easier to use

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Fiery, I don't quite think that we disagree, but if you say we do, I'll agree.

I've just seen quite a few people on E who think they are poi gods because they can make the glowstick go in pretty circles.

Actually, it's more that I've had experience with people not giving the E the credit for the amplified coolness of whatever they were describing (music, sex, spinning, etc...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dragonflymember
19 posts

Posted:
Hee hee, Arsn.... I think I am a loser... I was having a fun night of climbing fences and trespassing in rich fancy dancy property and (eeeek) lost my drugs. Alot of them. ALL OF THEM! Tweas a much quiter night thaan I thought I was going to be having.

Anyways, I if decided to poi all mucked up I would avoid the fire... I would probably avoid and audience too.... High, on a beach, camping, with glow sticks.. That would suit me just fine. It is a shame the baeches up in Canada aren't just a lttle bit warmer.

Page: