jason burnsmember
3 posts

Posted:
hey to eny one and every one outthere I heard that if you put a small amount of milk in your mouth before you load up with fuel you may not absorb as much fuel through your mouth or something like that can someone help find out if this is true or are people just making stuff up to make themselves feel safer

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Some people coat their gums in vaseline to guard them, never heard of milk being used before.

If you're going to be firebreathing, read this and then [Old link], then reconsider.

Whoa, I've never had safety nazi duties before.

jason burnsmember
3 posts

Posted:
na I know about safety stuff this was just a rummor I heard

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well, combining both milk and organic fuel in your mouth....

they would not mix much at all. milk is a water based and kero is a hydrocarbon - although milk does have some organic molecules, interaction between the two phases would be minimal.

in your mouth, the milk and fuel would probably separate into the two phases, with the kero on top because it has a lower density. the milk would be at the lowest point of the mouth, and not do particularly much.

but you can test this. put a small amount of milk in a glass, then fill the rest with kero... id be interested at to what happens.

however lining your stomach with milk before breathing is beneficial as the milk can help dissolve the SMALL amounts of fuel that inadvertently trickle down the throat.

although both theories are from vague memories and my chemistry background, so i could be wrong.

at the end of the day - there is no safe way to firebreath. full stop.

take care.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1088606423)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im with den, even i you did hold a small amount of milk in your mouth, it would prob mix with the kero on teh way out and then cause the kero to not ignite as well as it would normally.....

how do i knwo this, cows dont explode much, hence, milk not explosive!

fire brethaing dangerous stuf..

i used charcole tables before and after for a couple of days to make sure it cleans up teh reminatnt fuel, as well as bread and milk!

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The milk thing is something I've heard a lot of over the years, but I don't know if there's any scientific basis to it.

Perhaps Lightning might be able to offer a medical opinion on it?

Presumably though (and these are just my thoughts) the only way milk could have a beneficial effect would be if it coats the surface of the inner mouth, throat and stomach in such a way that the paraffin isn't absorbed, and ultimately is expelled from the body.

ie there's no use it simply 'dissolving' the paraffin, because the stuff will still be absorbed with all the toxic chemicals, heavy metals and carinogenic compounds.

But, even if milk does have this property, I can't see it stopping much absorbtion if only because milk, as a food, is surely going to be absorbed itself in the stomach.

Even if it protects to that point, the expelled substances still have to voyage a fair while through the lower guts before they leave the body.

Also, as I understand it, the main problem of paraffin in the body is that small quantities seep into the lungs and, years later, the accumalation causes phnemonia. If so then milk will not help as it's not going into the lungs.

================

Lastly, like others have pointed out, the real dangers of fire breathing aren't going to be lessened by milk, or anything other than simply not doing it.

It's really dangerous, and, if you care for yourself, it's a very good idea to not fire breathe.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

how do i knwo this, cows dont explode much, hence, milk not explosive!

............lol yeah they are...cows are responisble for like 15% of the methane pollution in the atmosphere...trust me they can explode ubbidea ubblol ubbloco ubblol

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

gsv-sleeper-servicemember
62 posts

Posted:
I dont think Milk Would Make the slightest bit off difference for short and long term health You can get hold of firewater from germany via mail order etc but i think it is still probably damaging to your body, if you are goign to do it just do it once!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
that firewater is just a high concentration of alcohol if i remember right....juggleart.com sells i think but due to shipping laws it cant be shipped anywhere.

prizes

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Some people coat their gums in vaseline to guard them

um vaseline? from what I have heard pele say previously that isnt a smart option! vaseline will burn you even more frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Seemed fine in the experience I've had with it but I guess she knows better. Doesn't matter now cos I just dont.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
One wheel and Den have hit the nail on the head - almost. Due to the short amount of time that kero is (normally) held in the mouth little milk/kero mixture will occur. From my biology and chemistry background I know that milk will line the gut and mouth a little due to the lipids found in milk. These lipids will coat for no more than an hour. However, the effect is miniscule. The placeabo effect and confidence boast resulting from the belief of safety will have a greater effect on safety. If you are nervous don't fire breath.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Herm...I go away and missed this.

Milk does nothing.
Buttermilk helps to settle the stomach for the fuel that washes down...and it does. Even when you think you have not swallowed any you do. The fuel coats the inside of your mouth and washes down with your saliva.

Buttermilk drank before hand and bread after help to settle the stomach from this and to mildly avert any after effects.

Charcoal caplets should only be taken the day of the event, approximately 20-30 minutes prior to fire breathings. If you are feeling ill after pop another one. To take them for days after does nothing, as the fuel is already through the digestive system.
It works the same way as the charcoal in the hospital, by kind of surrounding the acidic content of the fuel and helping to flush it out of the system. The caplets are cheaper and do not require stomach pumps after.

Vaseline, lip stick, ora-gel...in fact any petroleum based or wax based product does more damage than good. Petroleum (vaseline) is flamable, so why you would want to put that in your mouth to protect you is beyond me.
Wax melts and can actually burn, though it does not ignite. It can cause serious heat burns.

The safest thing you can use is your brain and your saliva, which while not foolproof are safer than taking a chance with something else.

And truthfully, if you are that worried about it absorbing into your gums, don't do it. It causes alot more damage to other areas than that, even without an accident.

(And BTW...last I knew firewater could not be imported into the US as well as the flashpoint being conciderably lower than kero and so more dangerous to fire breathe with.)

Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
If i remember right the firewater that juggleart sells is isopropyl alcohol.......so thatd be like blowing w\gasoline...just plain stupid....

prizes

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Vaseline... erm... isnt that flammable? Surely coating your gums in it is a really, really bad idea.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Does Juggleart still not supply an MSDS sheet for their firewater?

I've had several conversations with people there, and the MSDS sheet they finally sent to me had no alcohol content whatsoever...

In fact, it appeared to have exactly the same properties as Solvent 3440 Special, but maybe they have changed it now...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Juggleart has also asked me to provide them with a fire breathing FAQ and a revised copy of the article about my accident which will be given to all people who purchase the fuel.
So, they are no exactly proponents of fire breathing.

And Charles, you are right. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
yeah i had an msds on it...but that email account got shut down.....so methinks ill hop to it and just get another one so i can put it on here =P

and why are you asking me about vasoline?? i never use the stuff...lol..for anything...ever...except as cheap lube for mechanical things...
EDITED_BY: darkpoet (1093537958)

prizes