Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
We were talking in P.E. today about the Parolymics and I got to thinking not only how cool and impressive those guys are but if there are any Para-twirlers out there? I'd say more but I'm trying to be PC here. If there are any guys out there I'd like to know.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
quote:
I'd say more but I'm trying to be PC here. If there are any guys out there I'd like to know.

what about girls?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I am by no means an expert but... silk parachute 1,000s of feet and altitued and spinning fire= really bad idea!! Well the big thing is, is that if you set your chute on fire then we are gonna be cleaning up whats left of you with a squigy and a sponge!!

Not that it wouldnt be cool and all but I think that beeming poi or glowsticks would be best. Also I just thought of this... fire can blow out! You are still falling pretty fast the wind of the poi moving throught the air plus the wind of you falling even with the chute would probably blw out the poi in a matter of seconds after you lite them. Ohh and how were you planning on lighting them and keeping the fule from being blown off during free fall.

I feel kinda bad for shooting your idea down like this but I dont think it is that fesable.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Raymund ... you tired lately or is it me ????
I mean .. aren't we talking about handicapped people here ????? been in the army too long I guess ::runs away before he slaps her::

We had that discussion once about swinging with no arms, blind etc ... I think Superman started the topic.. and last week end I saw Kato and someone else do the feet thing ... fun ...
I think it is quite feasible ... so are martial arts and many other passions, even with a handicap, cause you adapt ...
anyway ...

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, when I first read it I thought parachuting too, don't know quite why.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if para-people would do poi. There are definitly ways to work around physical disabilities. I saw a blind woman once who seriously kicked booty at karate, it was just amazing. Also, mental disabilites too, seeing as poi is largely based on adapting motor skills, not any intellectual ability. Sure, it may be hard, but isn't poi in general hard? Poi is cool, if anybody has the commitment they can do well in it.

NoonaBRONZE Member
Cake lover
258 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I've seen a dude in a wheelchair spinning very short poi.

It might have just been a dream though.

2,905 posts

Posted:
*looks at the screen and wonders why anyone would think he is in the army. He runs everyday and goes to the gym everyday, why would someone think he is in anything but the Marine Corps*

Well it is plainly obvius that I missread that post, I feel like a bit of an ass too. *Shrugs* I guess I just need to pay a bit more attention to what is said.

Cassandra I would never slap you, thats what baseball bats are for!!! Just kidding. I am not that violent ask Pozee and Kinduin I am really a nice guy.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people with disabilities would be able to spin - I've seen someone with no legs kayak very well and see no reason why he'd not be able to spin if he was so inclined.

As a side note, you might be able to spin an unlit staff in freefall, you'd just have to hold on pretty tight - can you imagine what people would do if a staff came hurtling out of the sky at them if you dropped it

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Oh, I only thought of physical disabilities... obviously mental ones would not prevent anyone from doing poi (well the "lighter" pathologies at elast). Juggling migth be more difficult though.

I taught a 40 year old mentally retarded man for one afternoon in Grece, it was not so much about technique as it was about magic. I think appart from a few kids I met, he was one of the few people who *really* fell in love with poi as a magical thing... therefore just wanted to feel it instead of actually "understanding" it ... do I make sense ?

Ray... baseball bat... me scared ::runs off to hide behind Pozee and Kinudin::
I know you're sweet , Ray, I just did not want to ruin your tough guy reputation

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I know this dude who saw a girl in a wheel chair spin fire, he said she could even do a BTB Weave!!!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dont go tellin the world I am sweet...
see look I am big and tough!! Grr hehe Nah I am a nice guy just a short temper and a lack of ability to reason

HOP Newsletter