Forums > Social Chat > Which is better? South Park, Simpsons, or Family Guy

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I think the title is pretty self explanatory, but you have to support your answer.

And i hear there's going to be new Family Guy episodes, dunno if that's a rumor or not

peace

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
It's really difficult to fairly pit Simpsons vs. Southpark. Simpsons is written for primetime network television and Southpark is decidedly indiginous to cable.
Regardless of their environmental differences, I would say I prefer Southpark. They are crude, low-brow, nasty little boys who hold nothing back and speak their minds with total freedom. (Except Kenny, who just sort of mumbles his...) Everyone in town is opinionated, dysfunctional and many are blathering idiots (Just like real life). And while it is akin to the lowest form of toilet humor, the show often addresses pertinent albeit controversial social issues such as Cloning, Censorship, Racism & Bigotry, Interpersonal Relationships, and Making Sweet Love Down By The Fire. And sometimes, if you really squint, you can make out the moral lesson for the day.
Simpsons is a bit more intelligent and comedic, but almost too subtle at times. Much of the humor is lost because things happen so fast. The attention span of the show can be so rapid, you miss out on half the jokes, and it often changes plotlines several times in a single episode. It also focuses on slapstick and irony for laughs rather than 6-year-old-angst-ridden fart jokes.

I have never had the opportunity to see an episode of the Family Guy, but from what I hear, it is on par with the Simpsons. I guess which you prefer depends on what makes you laugh. Both like to spit in the face of more politically correct shows, and I like that. Another factor might be which characters you identify with. Bart is kinda self-sufficient, whereas Stan is constantly searching for the truth in life. That's more like me

Overall, I find both entertaining. I guess the acid test would be: Which would you want to be associated with creating? I'd rather be writing for Southpark. Kickazz....

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Well I am a big simpsons fan,as you said simpsons and southpark are apples and bannanas,the family guy will sometimes go a little further towards going too far than the others.

but few can match the quotes from homer.

"I told you lisa ,future daddy has to double kill the corpses so they dont come back a zombies."
EDITED_BY: vaperloc...the mighty (1088232719)

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I never really appreciated how much thought goes into the Simpsons until I saw an episode that was set at an airshow. In one very minor scene it had Sideshow Bob (? the one in prison) hiding behing a metal tree, the base of which was inscribed with "Springfield Airbase, home of the stunt kite." Pretty meaningless, I know, unless you've ever heard of aviation pioneer Samuel Franklin Cody who developed the man-lifting kite in the beginning of the 20th century, whose monument is a brass casting of the tree he used to tie them to at Farnborough aerodrome. Most residents of the town have no idea it's there, let alone writers 8000 miles away. There's a subtlety in it that sometimes reeks of genius.

I prefer South Park though, I'm a sucker for fart jokes.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nah, has to be simpsons... it's the subtle humour that makes it genius ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
i relly think you can't compare em....they are all fantabulous in their own right...yay for crazy cartoons smile

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i havn't really seen much of family guy. a couple of episodes maybe, didnt really appeqal to me.
But simpsons and southpark are hard to compare. Simpsons is good for watching when there is jack $hit on tele, because is practically on ALL the time on sky1. but south park is good for sleeping over at hannahs house. dunno why *shrugs* just is
Both excellent

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
South Park. Without a doubt.... I love it. Family Guys ok from the episodes, but Simpsons is 2nd on my list...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Family Guy. Hands down.

I used to be an avid Simpsons fan, but now, I barely even laugh when I see the Simpsons, there's still great stuff there, but Seth Macfarlane's characters are the greatest.

The music in Family Guy is amazing, and Seth Macfarlane can sing on key in any of his character's voices! It's ridiculously cool.

for those who have seen a couple episodes of Family Guy and blown it off, give it another chance. I hated it when it was on tv, only saw a couple of episodes and blew it off. But then I started checking out the re-runs on Adult Swim on cartoon network, and now I own all of the episodes on DVD!!! It's really hilarious.

I'll put it this way, if you haven't seen a playing card with George Dubya holding a beer bong on a TV show, you need to check out some more Family Guy.

Simpsons is still a close second though.

On the rumors about there being more episodes, I think it's going to be a different show, with diff character's, but a similar basic premise. It's also going to be a little tamer, to try to avoid cancellation this time, lol.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i like the simpsons, but i don't get why people think it's so clever and subtle - IT'S NOT!!! everyone gets the social comment - there's nothing subtle about it. sure it's funny and interesting, but not really as clever as people make out.

personally i prefer south park - especially the most recent ones just for the weirdness (Towlie - Yay!) and i love timmy. i like my comedy surreal.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ive never really watched family guy, because its never appealed to me.

simpsons vs south park is very hard though. i really appreciate the simpsons more now that im older, becase i can now see the subtle humour in it that only the more mature audience understands...however south park completely cracks me up because its just so juvenile and politically incorrect!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
i dont really watch tv... but i look like the girl from family guy apparently... with glasses and red hair.... people used to email me pictures of her all the time and i never knew who it was. x

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
ohhhhhh cartoons :-)
u people completely leave futurama out of the picture. if anything this thread should include it.

simpsons sorta started the whole thing for me and by now the humor they are using is not very funny anymore (its still entertaining tho). i noticed that they changed the style a bit during the later episodes, (have no idea about difference in series and so on, so bear with me) to a more random style that im am used to from futurama and family guy.
futurama and family guy are my favourite. everything is spot-on. The characters (zoidberg and stewie kick so much butt, that it hurts), the episodes are well developed without losing the sence of randomness that i like so much. and last but not least the constant barrage of drug and sex references! that just make me crack up and everyone else just look at me funny.

south park.....shudder..... i liked (and own) the first season, but it just got tooo ....ummmm.... stupid for me to enjoy. (that coming from me......hehehe)

"but marge... its legal. i can walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face. and he just has to sit there grooving on it......."
Homer Simpson
medicinal marijuana episode.....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I concur with every single thing the badger man above me says, except I don't own southpark dvds smile. Futurama definately should have been included in this thread. For me 1st place would be a competition between futurama and family guy. The other two series are great, and Simpsons definately deserves classic series and long time running series bonusses, but still. My laughter gets spasmodic occasionally with futurama and family guy, they are a riot!

- Klaymen

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Futurama and Family guy are by far the best made, with the cleverest jokes but if your completly cained off your face then the bluntness and gore of South Park is a giggle. Then agian i have been know to stare at an out of tune TV for over half an hour contently amused. The Simpsons has had its day all the jokes are worn out and the characters are predicibly boring.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I never really got into the Simpsons, although the episodes I have seen are definitely worthy of being called genius in my opinion.

However, Southpark is hilarious. And Family Guy is by far my favorite of the three. I think they are all funny and clever but in different ways.

But if I had to pick a favorite cartoon these days it would have to be Home Movies with Aqua Teen Hunger Force trailing closely behind. There's something about the characters' willingness to humiliate themselves that grabs me.

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think the replay value of the simpsons is what appeals mostly to me. That you could've seen the same episode so many times and know what's coming next and still really enjoy it is a rare thing.

The sheer number of hilarious quotes from it is astounding.

Futurama....eeerrr no, though not quite as bad as King of the Hill, I don't like it.

Family guy (slightly more so ) and South Park are really very very very funny but I grew up with the Simpsons and they're still tops for me biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
That's a toughie. I think Family Guy has the edge...but we'll see if it can be as long lasting as the others if there are indeed new episodes in the works. Otherwise, it may go the way of Fawlty Towers, being remember forever because it was cut down in it's prime before it could go on way too long and start to suck. *coughsimpsonscough* I LOVE the Simpsons almost as much as Family Guy, but I don't even bother watching anything past season seven or something thereabouts.

Why Family Guy? One word: FLASHBACKS. I don't know who decided to use these as a device, but whoever it is should be given an award. They are just *gold*....the timing and the pacing is just genius. Big ups to the writers. beerchug

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the first time I tuned into the show, I was just in time to catch: "Oh no, I don't take coupons from chickens anymore" and all that ensues afterwards. I was on the floor through ALL the commercials until the show came back on. smile

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Oh forgot to mention futurama! I LOVE that one. I think it's the first cartoon made entirely for geeks (like me). Apparently they have a few math PHDs helping them with the writing.

My fave, on the wall of Fry's new apartment:

"10: HOME
20: SWEET
30: GOTO 10"

ubblol ubblol ubblol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Many have complained about not having futurama represented. The reason: I forgot. I'm soooo sorry. Take it up with the talking moose.

"And if you give us any trouble I shall visit you in the small hours and put a bat up your nightdress"

mmm Fawlty Towers....for you young'uns that don't know it....watch it any way you can...brilliant stuff

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
family guy hands down. because it remindes me of my family
my drunken stupid step dad my way to up beat mom my evil baby brother and my boring plain sister

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i'm going to jump on the fuurama bandwagon as well - i think thats awesome!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Futarama and simpsons win easily with the subtle sense of humor .Bender and Homer rock !

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
futurama and simpsons.. so sutble, and sometimes not so....

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Either way they rule

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
best fictional duo of all time: stewie and cartman?

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
nahhhhh dude,

zoidberg vs stewie

or

ralph vs brian

(ralph rocks by the way)

mwhahahaha

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
TIMMAAAY!!!!

Umm my vote is for South Park. But here is my list:

1) South Park
2) Family Guy
3) Simpsons
4) Futurama

ubbrollsmile

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yes yes yes southpark do come up some unusual characters
Like scuzlebut (with patrick duffy for a leg)
Cartmans mum (no statement required)
Chef (reminds me of a mate ) (feel like making love)
Or that crazy scientest with kevin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
futurama rocketh cus the robot charactershave such sexy names heh heh

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FunkFishWatch out as ultimate Cute and Funkyness arives...
191 posts

Posted:
can we also put invader zim in??? otherwise southpark.... BLAME CANADA biggrin

Push me, and then just hurt me, till i can get my satisfaction...

Page: