Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Which Poi Weight do you Prefer?

After watching COL4 Their are a lot of different weights of Poi the artists are using.

What would you Prefer? bounce

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say I prefer heavy poi, but I like lots of fire which means lots of wick. My poi are all really heavy which affects my spinning style.

So I guess I like heavy poi biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have a few sets of poi, of varying weights, which ones i use depends on what sort of mood i'm in as to how i want to be spinning!

I have no real preference though.

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I like heavier ones, though Im kinda scrawny so I cant have em too heavy otherwise they're the ones swingin me.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
heavy smile

i dont get on with light ones.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
So the next question is how heavy? Comeon guys and gals I'll start the bidding at about 3.5 pounds each poi, but those are my biggest including fuel.

I know I'm nuts how bout you eek wink biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I don't like extremely heavy poi. But if the poi are too light they are almost impossible to spin...I guess mine are about 1.5 lbs each.

Always Beautiful

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I spin both fire poi and glowsticks about equally as well... so I guess.... I like my poi waying about 2 or 3 ounces if I'm indoors and about 2 or 3 pounds outdoors... aka.... glowsticks and kevlar... It's all a style preference I guess... best to get good with both... nothing wrong with variety

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The weights in my poi are 190grams for my Aerotechs and 140grams for my sock poi.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
mine seem to be getting heavier every day!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
I have two different weights. My practice poi, and my poi for just bumming around with or taking out for LONG spins are my fluffy poi. They weigh next to nothing, being made of nylon strings and sponge and fluff. I also have a set of rainbow three tailed poi, which are tennis ball based, so a substantial amount heavier than the fluffy ones. I generally use those to fling around in the street cause they make a great fluttering noise that turns heads and they look cool biggrin So I'm a weirdo! I like both!

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Yep yep yep yep.

Nice,

I like em Heavy, I find it easier to keep controlle of them, tongue tat might sound stupid, but with my lighter poi, I alwys hit myself becuase I am not sure were they are around me.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've just put a brass guitar slide into each tennis ball in my socks and they are now perfect weight....and as a bonus I always know where my slides are! biggrin Now my normal hyperloops go for about 10 beats without having to move an inch...I'm so chufed biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
really light poi are great for learning precision.

heavy poi give a better cardio workout.

some moves are easier with light poi, some with heavy.

I have several sets of different kinds of poi and I like to pactice with all of them from time to time, just to get different types of poi training in.

now, I just need to train more....

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I like long and heavy and short an light depending what I'm up to. Both have a different feel and when I swing, a different smile (I mean style wink )

If there's good solid music on and you really wanna dance then I prefer light so I don't have to exhaust myself in a few seconds and am able to keep up... :wheez: smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i've got all sorts, fire, glo-sticks, LED's, tennis balls, socks, home-made bags of rice poi with crazy colours & ribbons & stuff.

the weights vary, i practise with all of them.

got some new fire-poi during the week, and they're A LOT heavier than my last ones. my arms are nearly hanging off and i can only spin for about 3-4 mins with them before i need a rest. but i guess i'll get used to them with practise.

i also learned the 5 bt weave during the week so maybe that contributed to the sore arm factor......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I prefer the weight personally. I like spinning slowly, it looks pretty.
A friend of mine made some poi out of a pair of stockings the other day. They stretched to about 10 feet long when spun, and it was like spinning on the moon! Really really really slow. Lots of fun.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

fireweaverSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
i find if you like fast spinning action you tend to prefer lighter poi. But if you like to groove with the poi and guide where they go instead of spinning full force you'll go with the heaver ones.

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I prefer heavier ones for exercise, but at night i'd go for lighter ones to make some really extended circles as fireweaver says.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I'm with vanize...depends on what I'm after. If I want to work on precision, I get light weight poi...

If I'm going for a work out, heavier poi.

If I'm trying to learn a new move, I stick with heavier poi because plane control is easier with heavier poi.

I've not weighed mine, so I have no idea how heavy they are...

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Heavier. (there is that formula of weight: head./.chain./.length./.skill, that still remains a mystery...)

Reasons: Isolations are easier to perform, they are not as flimsy and I have to move more according to the Poi and not move them according to me, easier access to "the flow")

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
mmmm heavy but not too heavy. weight = slower =more time to think smile

if i could be a busy busy bee...

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
oof. I found that my poi designs have been getting heavier and heavier with each new model. The latest one was a barrel stitch that weighs somewhere around 2.5 pounds (1135 grams).

So I decided to make a lighter set out of tennis balls and a shoelace with a tiny monkey fist handle at the end. They are very fun. Kind of adds a sense of delicacy to my spinning. Much faster too.

Now, isolations, hybrids, tangles and the like are all still easier with a bit more weight, but having these light poi have the edge in stalls, speeding up flower patterns, wraps, and throws (thanks to the little fist handle).

Now, I have a favorite, but I dont think Ill ever have the "perfect" poi.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow