striggySILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
so, aside from buying it online. does anyone know where i can purchase kevlar on the quick in So. California ? like, say, to make a set of poi this weekend? i did a few internet searches of hardware stores and such and they don't seem to know what kevlar is.

i want to make an extra set for color flames alone and i haven't got much time before the fourth of july . ubbloco

EDITED_BY: striggy (1088121635)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It'd probably help people to help you if you actualy said where you lived!!!!!!!!

striggySILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
heh. thanks. biggrin

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
I believe theres a shop in Sea Port Village in San Diego that can hook you up. I did a search (kevlar wicking sand diego) in yahoo and found thins link:

https://members.lycos.co.uk/orangefire/firetoys.html

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
*san diego

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
try gun shops they use kevlar to make bullet proff vest

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
1. The kevlar used in bulletproof vests is a completely different weave from the kevlar used in wicks.

2. Sure, kevlar is used in bulletproof vests. Why do you think that would mean you could get raw kevlar at a gun shop? Even assuming that gun shops do sell bulletproof vests (I don't know one way or the other), that doesn't mean they sell the materials to make them. If someone asked "where can I buy some wool?" would you advise "try a men's suit shop, since many suits are made of wool"?
EDITED_BY: Malcolm (1088721644)

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
It's gettin kinda intense in here...

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

Firefly!member
7 posts

Posted:
Hi Striggy,

Just in case you couldn't find any in San Diego, you can buy kevlar wick from renegade juggling in Santa Cruz. It's not too far from where you live, and I bet you could get some before the 4th of July. They sell the 2" x 1/8" for $2 a foot or $160 for a 100' roll. Their website address is www.renegadejuggling.com and their telephone number is (831) 426-7343.

Hope that helps

Firefly!

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Cyclists use Kevlar to line the tubes on their bikes I know bike shopes carry it, but it may be pricey..
Custom fiberglass fabrication shops use it for construction.. eg fiberglass speed boats, car bodies etc...
you may try those places..

weavesmiley Spin cause ya' gotta!!