CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
I went home on my lunchbreak to spin for a few minutes and right when I was packing up my zunis the UPS truck showed up.

I now have in my possession the Michael Kahn book on Poi, "The Meteor Book", and a set of Dube Meteors!

I took them out of the box and did a quick weave, backwards weave. Now I know why everyone says the first place you hit yourself is the face. I didn't hit myself, but I saw it as a distinct possibility! biggrin

Anyone else have dube meteors? I've definitely going to have to tie a knot in them or something, they're way taller than I am.

Just wanted to share the joy!

Ben

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
Next time you come spinning with us, you're bringing that book. O, I forgot to be polite.. ^_^ please bring that book.. both of em in fact, and the meteors I'd like to have a go with. How's the weight on them by the way? Lighter than the all-chain ones I'll be making later this weekend.. I'd hope?

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
I'll definitely bring the stuff with me next time I come spinning with you guys.

I'd imagine they're lighter than chain, but they're pretty hefty in my mind. The ends might need a little more weight, they're hollow rubber balls, but they get some speed of them from what I was doing.

Once again: I am so gonna hurt myself with these...

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
thats cool dude i hope you have fun

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
prepare for pain....they like to change direction without telling you and being 2 meters long that's a lot of force to hit you with. Maybe they're not too long....mebby you're to short! wink

So what's a dube meteor? Is dube a brand or seomething? Mine are from here so you can check them out in the shop. smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
im gonna build my own fire-meteor.. wink

still gettin hurt though! hehe
watch ouy, the meteorballs seem 2 have an way of wanting 2 connect to YOUR balls... :S ouch. .

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Yeah if you do that too many times yours become as big as the meteors! eek

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I found the Dube meteors to be a bit too light for my liking. And yes, you must just be too short! tongue

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
AAAH... im a lowelife.. just did it before... aaa damn it hurts! but theres a good in everything.. it keeps me focused on not doing it the next time.. (next time = 20 minutes after the hit) smile

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
I'm definitely too short.

Anyone have a good idea of how to shorten meteors that are too long? Do I just put knots in them? or what?

Dubé is a juggling company. www.dube.com

I've been practicing my poi, so I haven't done much with the meteors yet. They're too long to practice with anyway. Because I'm too damn short.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Knots will do the job. Or you could try to stretch yourself on the rack.....

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
perhaps more specifically, 2 knots about a foot, foot 1/2 apart in the center make for good hand holds cool

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The dube meteor already comes with knots tied for handholds. You'll have to tie a couple more to shorten it!

How do you like the Meteor Book? Let me know if you go the hubcap route... eek eek eek

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I used climbing rope whilst camping over a month ago to make some monkey fisted meteors for fun one night. Heavy stuff. What's an ideal length? I'm about 5'7 or 8.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
IMO the best length for meteor is about your own height

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick King of the Badgers

The dube meteor already comes with knots tied for handholds. You'll have to tie a couple more to shorten it!
How do you like the Meteor Book? Let me know if you go the hubcap route... eek eek eek

What's the hubcap route? I haven't gotten much into the book, need to shorten the poi first.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
My meteors strech to about 6" above my head, I wouldn't recommend much longer than that.

I'm trying to figure out how to sustain a btb rotor, going into it from a weave, but am having trouble. Any hints?

Davy

1,148 posts

Posted:
I shortened mine down to 7 and they were too short for me. I learned on longer meteors, but if they're not heavy enough, precise control over them is more difficult. The extra weight alsoo helps with sustaining the most momentum, with the least amount of effort. Thats also how you do the btb rotor, find the point where you can keep your meteor spinning as you transfer from hand to hand. Also spreading your hands further, leaning forward a bit helps.

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
whats a "btb rotor"?
eveery move got millions of different names... :S
ive got a book on meteors by Rhys Thomas.
He calls the weave for "Ninja".... anyways.. i dont reckommend the book anyhow..

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
OWD said a rotor was the name for a staff-like spin infront of the body. Btb = behind the back.

Dunno what it's called, but if you look at lesson 5 of the staff lessons here:

. Passing hand to hand behind the back at hip level and then above head.

This is replicable with meteors I just realised. Can't quiiite do it yet, but nearly.

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: Henrik

whats a "btb rotor"?
eveery move got millions of different names... :S
ive got a book on meteors by Rhys Thomas.
He calls the weave for "Ninja".... anyways.. i dont reckommend the book anyhow..

Why don't you recommend the book? Are there any better resources on the subject of meteors?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
If there are you'll be lucky to find anything except the odd vid. Have a look in the old board (through the link at the top of the page) cuz there's stuff i there that isn't here. Apart from that your resource is your inagination! biggrin

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
I really wish I had one of those sometimes. To me, anything I can't already do is obviously impossible, until someone shows me exactly how to do it.

1,148 posts

Posted:
The rotors are also called pinwheels in the book, if it helps. I'd recommend the book, it's great for laying solid meteor groundwork.

Ars Pyronomica

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
i just think he explains to complicated (yah i know its not easy, but still if youre publishing a book... :S) maybe its just because my first language isnt english but swedish? wink

aaa... so thaaaats a rotor.. tried it just earlier before loggin in.. well i tried infront.. havnt got i quite yet.. i reckon its hard keepin the spin up and gettin the second meteor going in the first place..

nilid69: haha i feel exactly the same way..:P ive learned heaps from the "free poi lessons" here on HoP.. :P