MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Has anyone experimented with spinning ovals instead of circles? Just thought of this idea and was curious if anyone had any experience with it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Only a little - ovals in weaves and butterflys, but not really pushed it much as a separate concept. Got any more ideas?

Oval butterflies are a bit odd to do, but might look pretty good (I've never seen them from a spectator point of view).

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, theres only one idea I got so far which is that you can turn the oval (such as up and down or front and back) in kind of the same way you can turn a butterfly.

Havent really tried much aside from the same stuff you did but I would assume that any move is theoretically possible in an oval, just a matter of doing it. Basically all an oval spin is, is extending your arm for 1/4 beat, twice per beat.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea man iv done some, i got the idea from pulling the strings while doing buzz hyps and now they totally "oval" but its just so cool cause its new to me. smile I often get ovals when im doing "bad" or half isolations as well. It looks wicket to. biggrin

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
"Ovals" are a part of what I call altered circles. Whenever you do only a partial Extension or Isolation (or mix) you get these altered circles. The challenge is to get a real feeling and understanding for them and doing them constantly nice aka fully controlled.
Its one of the areas which I know exist but I want to get my spinning really clean first (understanding the circle) before i start entering this field.
What I was experimenting with so far is moving Ovals (in my case Eggs would be a better name) to the front (kind of boxing) and then slowly to vertical to get a feeling for them (spinning splittime wheel plane)

please keep us updated on your progress

cheers

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Surely, if you spin forwards and just put your hands up as the poi come up over your head, you're gonna be making ovals?

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
That is correct.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Fort so.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

HOP Newsletter