Page:
KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Ok... I'm broching the un-brochable...modelling balloons...yes my secret is out! I make balloon models and I love it! hah! there it has been said...

So who else on HoP does it? Mech, Bovril and?.....

And after 'inventing' (as there's nothing new under the sun) Dragon/Devil Wings ---> any one know a good recipie for horns?

NB: This thread is off-limits to Bluecat - cuz mate if yer girly was to find out....eek

smile dave

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Unless anyone gets here first, I'll have a think about how to explain the 6 petal flower in text and probably make a post tomorrow sometime.

It's pretty difficult to explain in text, but pretty straightforward if you're being shown it.

Which way do you know to make a 4 petal flower? It may well be that you already know the basic technique for making the petals.

As for books - I've got both of the books by Roberto Menafro & Paolo Michelotto that are at the bottom of this page , they're pretty good.

The New Balloon Sculptures one is probably the better of the two, it's got more variety - the other one tends to go for a smaller number of larger models.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I make it by tying the two ends of the balloon together. Then I twist the knotted part with the middle of the balloon which is opposite it. Then twist the middle of one of the new rings to create two of the petals, then repeat the same with the opposite side. Then I just make a stndard stem with leaves, I assume thats the same no matter how many petals.

Hope that makes some sort of sense, thanks in advance!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yep, that makes sense smile

You can make a 6 petal flower in a similar way, instead of twisting the knotted part into the middle of the balloon, you do it in three sections, giving you 3 loops that you then twist in half again.
It gets a bit tight trying to twist the last couple of bits if you do it like that though, and there is another way to make them. I've been thinking about it this morning and I reckon I'm going to have to end up drawing pictures or taking photos to accompany the text, so it might be a little longer before I get it sorted.

Alternatively, if you really want it today, I could scan the page from the New Balloon Sculptures book and email it to you.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ooo Thanks, I've worked out how to do it now.

The bit I couldn't figure out was that I knew it had to be divided into three somehow, but I couldn't work out how it would all then meet up in the middle. I didn't think about the fact the petals would bend in the middle to bring the two ends together.

I've ordered the books, thanks for the help! biggrin

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So how a how about a picture of your 6 petal flower, PricklyLeaf.

I'd class that as one of the more advanced shapes to make from a 260, so shout it from the rooftops! smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
One coming as soon as I get back into Glasgow. My room's beginning to look a bit like a hospital for decrepid balloons on their last legs, most with horrible deformities! Its soooo adictive, really enjoying it. biggrin (I really like the the balloon pics in you and bov's gallerys by the way!)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wheeemember
33 posts

Posted:
Written by: Paddy

Anyone tried fire balloon modelling?? biggrin

Sorry, couldn't help it...I'll get back on topic now. tongue

Well if you inflate the balloons with hydrogen....

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Using an oxygen and acetylene mix that's usually used for welding to inflate balloons is fun smile

You get a massive bang and a small flash of fire - small enough that the bloke who showed me was holding the balloon in his hand went it exploded and suffered no ill effect.

If you fill a balloon with it, tie a string around the knot and set light to the string before letting the balloon drift off into the sky, you get random and very, very loud explosions in the sky, which is always good. It's possibly best not to do this in a built up area smile

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
OxyAcetylene mix makes balloons float?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about 260s, but it definately makes round balloons float.

260s might be too heavy for their volume, the same as if they were filled with helium, which is a real shame.

Wheeemember
33 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I'm not sure about 260s, but it definately makes round balloons float.

260s might be too heavy for their volume, the same as if they were filled with helium, which is a real shame.

A 260 isn't going to float with oxygen + accetaline if it won't float helium. Helium is the 2nd lightest gas. The only one better for making things float is hydrogen. For airships and general balloon inflation the flamability of hydrogen is a problem, making helium the best choice. For what we're on about hydrogen has no drawbacks if you can get hold of it. No idea if it'll float a 260 or not, but its a quarter of the weight of helium - stands a chance.

Adding oxygen will make a bigger bang (ideally you want 1 part hydrogen to 2 parts oxygen), but will make floating less likely.

Wheeemember
33 posts

Posted:
Correction - you want 1 part oxygen to 1 part hydrogen by volume. That will give the ideal mix of two oxygen atoms per hydrogen atom. I forgot oxygen exists as a two atom molecule, not lone atoms.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Perhaps thats another reason it goes bang easily...

Bythe way, Bovril, have you ever inflated a 260 with a can of silly string?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I can't say I've ever tried it.

*runs off to find some silly string*

biggrin

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Its really cool (if expensive)...

I like to empty about 1/3 can into one and then shake it around so all the silly string clumps together. It looks all wiggly and round like a little brain.

Then twist a dog or other sculpture with the 'brain' in the head, and call it a zombie sculpture or smart poodle etc etc.

Another good zombie sculpture is to let a bit of string in after inflating it before, and tie it off with the silly string through the knot.

Then twist the sculpture with the string hanging down form the knot, and you get this icky 'spinal cord' type connection running through the whole body of the sculpture.

Looks very organic and quite creepy, especially in a quartz purple when held up to the light.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ooooo, now where can you get silly string from these days. Ah, brings back memories of repeatedly covering the kitchen in this, to my Mums distress. Silly string is the best, got to get some and try this meethinks. ubbloco

Ralph Waldo Emerson

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I want one of those parrots in a heart shaped perch!! ubblove

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
You'd like instructions you mean? This is a do-it yourself thread...

Do you have any 260's?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
The instructions would be fine! I do have 260s.. and a silly number of balloon pumps left over from Woodford... I was more expressing pining cos Dave (Knoxious) and Di ubblove used to make them for me.... frown and I'm missing vases of balloon flowers when I get home....peace

and btw chaps you can float 260s with helium.. we had heaps of them in a sort of ladder shape decorating the ceiling of the Circadia (community circus) venue at Woodford... a slab of them came down as it cooled in the middle of the night on New years Eve and made a fabulous 10 foot tall mid air floating multicoloured installation for the trippers to play with!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
*endeavours to not make cheezy coments from back when i was in 'ballooniversity'*

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Parrot in a heart instructions...

1. Inflate a 260 leaving about a 6cm tail.

2. Twist off a small soft bubble (about 1-2cm) by squeezing more out before closing off the twist.

3. Twist a second bubble about 3 time the length of the first. Pull the nozzle formt he first bubble down to the end of the second (ie nozzle and end of second balloon are twisted together. The big bubble is th ehead and the little bubble is the 'shaped' beak.

4. Make a string of 2 x 15cm bubbles and one 12cm. Locktwist the 15's together like a dog head, and roll the third bubble throuhg the middle, so oyu have two long wings and a slightly shorter body, all twisted to each end (this is called a bird body, and is a common balloon sculpting technique).

5 twist off two small 3cm bubbles, lock twist them and loop the tail around and back onto itself.

HEART

1. Inflate a 260 fully, and slowly let some air out for about 1.5 seconds

2. Tie the nozzle end to the tail end making a loop, you may need to squeeze the tail end a bit to get a tail to tie with.

3. Find the middle of the loop (opposite end to the knot).

4. This netx bit is tricky to explain with text, but easier than it sounds. Make a bend in the middle bit, so that the round bit points towards the knot, giving a rough heart shape. Try to keep the whole loop flat while doing this.

5. Keeping it in the 'bent' shape, squeeze all the air out of the bend point, pointing at the knot, ( no need to squeeze hard, gentle ans slow works just as well). Still holding the bent shape, let go so the air rushes in to fill the bend.

6. Voila, you should have anice round heart shape, with which to attach the parrot. Just pull the tail and legs apart, put it on th eknot and let go, it should eaisly 'grab' the heart perch.

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'll give it a go!!
Thanks, that would be fun to learn to make that and give one to Dave next time I see him!

*hides thread in the sock drawer so he doesn't see it*

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hows the parrot going?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I'm wanting to get into ballooning, and this was the first thread I found, is there a better thread for a newbie to post in?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
This thread is a good start.

So are the following links... :-)

Balloon Websites

https://professorwonder.com/twists.htm
https://professorwonder.com/gallery.htm

https://www.balloondesigns.net/freesite.html
https://deantheballoonatic.com/4puppy_inst.html
https://balloonattractions.com/balloon_town/training_center/
https://theballoonbuffoon.com/instructions/

https://www.balloonhq.com

https://www.mbd2.com.com

https://www.balloonmolecules.com

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
thanks Charles, I was on BalloonHQ the other day, but being new, I was finding some of the terminology a bit hard... but I'll pick it up

Actually, some of the other sites have all that, thank you!! hug

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hanz. Try the professor wonder links first, and then log onto MBD2 and make a donation so you have access to the instructions list, well worth a few $$.

Let me know if there's any sculpture you'd like help with too, and I'll make upmy own instructions and email them to you. :-) (may take me a wee while).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ah, I was wondering why I suddenly didn't have access to the mdb2 instructions forum.

D'you know if there's a minimum price to get access? I don't have a lot of money at the moment, but as you said, it's a very good resource.

That doesn't stop me being very annoyed at Dale for adding an admission fee, especially as unless it's changed, very few of the instructions are actually written by him.
*starts off on a new search for a good balloon instructions site that's still free*

Written by: Charles

Let me know if there's any sculpture you'd like help with too, and I'll make upmy own instructions and email them to you. :-) (may take me a wee while).

That goes for me too, although the list of sculptures I know is a bit more limited than Charles', but I'll help if I can smile

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ditto about MBD2 Bovril, and no there is no minimum as far as I know.

I really do struggle to understand Dale's business approach sometimes, like the time he gave a 10% discount on an US$7 bag of balloons, and then complained in a thread on his site that no-one was buying off him despite him being cheaper than Tmyers.. (by about 50 cents US).

But props to him, he has maintained a great resource, that, if not stymied by his donation conditions, may grow like HoP in the future.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Charles, I would but having barely any money, and no access to being able to pay for online things... Im out for that one.

Found a store in Bendigo today that sells 260Qs, AUS$18 for 100, and AUS$40 for 250.

Page: