Page:
KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Ok... I'm broching the un-brochable...modelling balloons...yes my secret is out! I make balloon models and I love it! hah! there it has been said...

So who else on HoP does it? Mech, Bovril and?.....

And after 'inventing' (as there's nothing new under the sun) Dragon/Devil Wings ---> any one know a good recipie for horns?

NB: This thread is off-limits to Bluecat - cuz mate if yer girly was to find out....eek

smile dave

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
hmm, bought some balloons today, but can't find our pump! any hints for blowing up by mouth until I find the pump?

Also, what's the best way to care for balloons?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
[Old link], it should help if you want to inflate by mouth.

Latex is degraded by both heat and sunlight (or any light with UV I reckon), so keep them somewhere cool and dark and they should last for a fair while.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
When I bought them bruce said something about not letting them get to air... any ideas about this?

as for inflating by mouth... think I'll pass and do some more searching for this pump, or see if I can get a cheap one somewhere (is there such a thing?)
EDITED_BY: Hanz (1144749003)

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've not heard anything like that.

I reckon that since qualatex sells them in bags that have holes, letting air get to the balloons shouldn't make any difference, otherwise they'd be packaged in vacuum sealed bags.

A cheap pump shouldn't be more than a few dollars, but I don't know anywhere that sells then in Australia. Juggleart's probably worth a try though.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
mum got one a few years ago for balloons... although, is there a difference between normal hand pumps for balloons and the one I would need for the 260 qs?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Try Qualatex Australia for a list of retailers who sel their pumps. the new purple ones are great, even if the colour isn't that masculine. smile

www.Qualatex.com (look for distributors)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

mum got one a few years ago for balloons... although, is there a difference between normal hand pumps for balloons and the one I would need for the 260 qs?

Nope, a pump for normal round balloons should be fine for 260s.
It'd probably be fine for 160s (which need more pressure to inflate) too.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Charles, I may not be a girly girl, but I do like purple!

Bovril: awesome, shall hopefully find it soon then

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
After 3.5 months of organising and over 100 hours of work (15 people working for about seven hours each) myself and a group of fantastic and wonderful volunteers created New Zealands largest ever twisted balloon sculpture...

2 metres high and 5 metres long... A massive thank you to all those who helped and Auckland City Council for sponsoring it during their Heritage Festival.

Check out the pictures, and bear in mind this is the first sculpture I've ever organised with more than one other

Balloon Tram photo's person... : rolleyes ubbloco cool

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Charles!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!

that's sooo cool - both the sculpture ad the organising effort

yay for you and your team clap bounce bounce2 ubbrollsmile

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks Ade.

I've been pitching it for several years and finally found the right buttons to push for a sponsor...

I'm also on national TV on Friday, where a kids show filmed a short doco on the creation and they will be showing the doco and getting me to make a request by the viewers...

Hoping to get a copy of broadcast quality video as a promo tape...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
WOW!! that's brilliant! Is it meant to be a tram? or something else? my sister could see it, I couldnt

Oh, and I found the baloon pump, but got lonely doing it on my own and the house was starting to get a bit full of baloons

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
My latest creation:

A working clockwork mechanism

It took a fair while to make, consisting of 25-30 balloons, a pair of juggling balls (one for the pendulum and one as the weight to drive the top axle) and lots of KY jelly to keep the axles turning easily.

I need to work on building a proper grandfather clock style case for it now wink
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1191369727)

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Bovril.... I'm impressed, and it actually takes a lot to impress me with balloons!

Now, I would like, please sir, complete instructions and directions. And no, I'm not kidding at all...

PLLLLLEEEEEEEEEASE..... hug

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
My friend Gabriel does the craziest balloons... check this one out...

https://flickr.com/photos/anttisuniala/1111986174/in/set-72157601425081118

Point your toes.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
That's pretty damned cool - I need to start learning how to make balloon faces smile

Charles, I'll have a go at describing it in more detail a bit later when I have a bit more time, for now though I'll write a few bullet points.

- It's based on an anchor escapement (wikipedia has a good explanation with an animated diagram)
- It's driven by a juggling ball hanging on some uninflated balloons that are wound around the yellow axle, the weight of the ball ties to turn the axle.
- The blue balloon's a cog made from a 5 petal flower on the yellow axle.
- The escapement and pendulum (orange balloons) swing on the white axle.
- Both white and yellow axles had to be covered in KY jelly. It did a pretty good job at keeping it all turning properly.
- The red bits in the photo are electrical tape. The structure wasn't strong enough to support the weight properly and I was more interested in making it work than making it stand up, so we taped it to the chair.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Balloon faces are easy, Bov.

Working clockwork mechanisms are a little harder...

I think I alreayd understand the escapement principal... Let me see.

A pedulum or rotoating wheel is attached to an arm which pushes a cog one turn with every return swing or revolution.

Is that right?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*bump*

I thought people might find these sites rather interesting..

How to make dogs, etc:
https://www.balloondesigns.net/freesite.html

How to make molecular structures (seriously how geeky is this: DNA HELIX FTW!)
https://www.balloonmolecules.com/Html/Galerie_vor.htm

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
*bumpity bump*

Um.. just wondering if anyone could recommend a good book for learning balloon twisting? I can do a few fairly basic models, but I want to learn some new stuff- there seems to be a lot of books on how to make things like Simpsons characters- but I have absolutely no desire to learn that.. Animals, yep- Disney characters...I'll pass.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
I do balloon animals and sculptures for parties and social events, along with my magic performances. I do not do big sculptures, I think my biggest was 15 balloons. Anyways.

Books did not help me, I learned everything from Balloon School with Joe Montella, it is a great DVD

Maybe within a day or two I will post up some pictures.

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I have no DVD player (or computer, come to that.. or television.. I'm posting from the library) which makes DVDs a little tricky. smile hence the desire for books..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
Oh, okay then. Well there is "The Dream Balloons Book" https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/dream-balloons-book-palloncini-da-sogno-g-michelotto-p-1661.html

and "Balloons New Sculptures" https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/balloons-new-sculptures-palloncini-nuove-g-michelotto-p-1657.html

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'll second that recommendation, both of those books are good smile

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I dabble in ballooning occasionally, but for now it is mostly on the back burner for me as far as stuff I play with.

Page: