Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Both sides/both directions?

Login/Join to Participate

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering when you've learnt a move, do you insure that your mastered that move in both directions and sides of your body before moving on? Or do you move on to the next move? Take the relatively easy ttn: I'm aiming to be able to hit this both in front, btb, bth, ceiling plane, floor plane, btb ceiling plane, all in both directions. (gee there are a few variations, i've got all but a couple.)
Am I being too meticulous?

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I do make it a point to learn how to turn with everything but that really hasnt been hard to do since the 5 beat weave come to think of it. Once I know something in one direction, its not too hard reverse, I learn them together.

Different sides are another matter completely though. There are some moves that I really cant do too well on certain sides. For instance, I cant do much of the under the leg stuff with my left leg.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Same here. There aren't many moves I now don't learn both directions around the same time because I'm as likely to be spinning backwards as forwards at any time and not being able to do it both ways limits me.

Of course I do till tend to do things on one side/move in one direction more then the other *sigh*

I will admit to only recently being able to do windmill the other way though redface

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'll try to get both directions for the movement but generally have a preference, but I don't wotk on all the planes, btb, bth, ceiling (which I always forget about!).

spiralx - windmill the other way is hard! (or at least that's my excuse!)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah, ceiling plane gets forgotten by me as well. I don't tend to use it very often though... hardly ever do corkscrews smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
dom and spiral.. I dont think its hard.. so much as it jsut doesnt get much better.. I used to do my corks either eay with ease.. but the windmill.. arg...

but I learn my stuff each direction and most of the planes.. there are jsut some planes I dont use much.. and there are some mves that I jsut use in certain planes.. but I still trty to learn it... if for nothing mroe then to be able to say.. yeah I did that..even though I usually end up learning something nifty from the areas I don't want to spin in...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
it all really depends on your spinning style. if you go for lots of technical stuff, then yeah, it probably would be handy to know how to do everything inside out and upside down. if you tend to dance more, then it probably isnt worth it.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
that depdns on your take as well.. I can dacne because i can spin my stuff everywhere.. so I'm not limited in poi movement by body movement.. I guess it depends on your definition of dancing...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Written by:

it all really depends on your spinning style. if you go for lots of technical stuff, then yeah, it probably would be handy to know how to do everything inside out and upside down. if you tend to dance more, then it probably isnt worth it.

I'd say the opposite. If you want to be able to dance and that's it you'll be better prepared to be able to do every move every direction. Otherwise you can't flow properly if say for example you have to try to remember not to turn into a corkscrew in a certain direction. Best flow is not having to think about such thinks me thinks cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I agree with the last two posts smile Being able to do everything every way means more freedom to move.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yo footbag smile burrrr it's been cold. I learn everything both sides and in both directions, except for perhaps the one hand butterfly which I only do with my right hand at the moment. I have pondered whether learning both ways was a waste of time, but there are many advantages. Like you learn your weaknesses, and you never (well almost never) never get stuck.

I don't think you need to get to carried away with it though, and while I still have trouble with the rev 4/5 beat weaves it doesn't stop me learning other moves. I just keep plugging away. And I'm another who forgets to do many horizontal moves.

An interesting comment I heard from a spectator this year at ConFest was "wow, they can do it (the move) in rev as well".

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Gee I know this should be in another post, but 2 questions for anyone who wants to answer.
I generally do 3 beat windmills, is that the common number?
I do 5 beat weaves with wraps, is that normal. Or should you be able to do 5 beats without wraps. How many are possible without wrapping?
Thanks all.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: footbag

Gee I know this should be in another post, but 2 questions for anyone who wants to answer.
I generally do 3 beat windmills, is that the common number?
I do 5 beat weaves with wraps, is that normal. Or should you be able to do 5 beats without wraps. How many are possible without wrapping?
Thanks all.

The standard windmill (the one that you turn into from a 3 beat weave) is 2 beats. I can do 4 beat ones (same hand movements as a 5 beat weave) but don't tend to.

And five beats without wraps is doable, just twist your wrists around each other where you'd normally wrap the poi around your wrist smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Just thinking there, a good example of why it's a good idea learn things both ways is because it opens up new stuff that you couldn't have imagined before. I learnt the 3 beat inverted weave backwards the other day and there's an absolutely wicked transition from front to backwards using the buzzsaw part to move 'inside' between the 2. censoreding loving these transitions at the moment.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you do the crossed 3bt inverted weave isolated then the transitions are also isolated... looks bloody sweet smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

If you do the crossed 3bt inverted weave isolated then the transitions are also isolated... looks bloody sweet smile

and the 3bts each side open up nice for flowers to which if done right the inverted weave makes the center dot.. fun.. go big go little..yeah.. fun..

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I can do up to 7 beats without wraps but its extremely sloppy because I never use it and you need really flexible arms. I believe 9 is the highest anyone has done without wraps but thats entirely too many IMO smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
footbag, I suppose it's not surprising that I forgot to mention the moves I use the least.

I know we do weaves in side plane (forwards, backwards and btb), but I usually forget to practice moves by the side. Especially long arm moves with spins on the points of a clock face. Combined with turning, to get into flowers, also in b/f mode. You should be able to do a 5-breat weave with out wraps. I do 2-beat windmills.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh