Forums > Social Chat > What/Who made you to start poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I think the topic name pretty much says it all..... my experience was last year at reading festival.... i saw 2 girls spinning poi randomly and asked them about it... they wrote the HOP website address on my arm..... and then i was hooked! (if your out there let me know who you are, id love to thank you!!!)

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Well I went to a Venturer activity last year (VG) and saw all these twirlers... staff and poi.
One of the girls in my unit were already twirling and had a staff and then bought some Poi at Easter this year. At one of our camps she brought the poi along, and I had a go and was hooked. I found it so much easier to handle then staff (which I had tried at VG and couldnt get the hang of properly).
So yeah, it was a friend from Venturers and a few Venturer camps which made me start trying to spin poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I saw Keith and Steve, plus some other old-skool Guildfordians spinning in a car-park, went on the ol' interweb - looked up "fire spinning", found HoP, bought a pair of poi, "The Art of Poi" and practiced in my garden. Then found out about Thursdays in G'ford and have been going for about 3.5 years biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Like loads of other backpackers, the first time I saw anyone dance with fire was at the Arts Factory in Byron Bay, Australia. peace
Two guys and a girl put on a fantastic show... I've never been so totally speechless!!!wow
I sat there for the whole performance with my jaw on the floor - I couldn't work out how these people were able to do this without burning themselves.
A few months later I tried out a friend's practice poi in Brisbane (on the roof of the Palace backpackers), and picked up a few moves. The next day I bought myself some firepoi and that was it (didn't light them til 6 weeks later, tho!)
Now, two years and lots of practice later, I still remember that night, but at least I know how it's done!!! weavesmiley
Take care
xoxo

Getting to the other side smile

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I saw it at a free party, I snapped out of my daze at about 10 in the morning and saw all these wierd things spinning around in between cars and next to me and over there on the hill and on top of that rusty tractor and over there by the rig and it looked really pretty and everyone doing it looked like they were having fun plus I thought maybe I could look as graceful as they did for once, because I usually just look like a clumsy stork (which I still am).
But now I am one of those people at free parties getting their poi out for a morning spin (yes, it really is that wide spread here)

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
hey gottaloveit.... do you ever go on squat juice? U been to any good freepartys recently?

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
unfortunately I do go on it lol... pile of w___ website though!
Last one I went to was STS in the woods near Great Chiswell
Are you called vixen on SJ?

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
haha yeah i am Vixen on there, one of my mates is from Masika (have you seen them?) is your name GottaLoveIt on there?

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I was about to say I posted a pm to stop the thread hijacking but it's your thread anyhoo. There's a flashing mail thing on your screen... click it!!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
3 years back, I hitched my way out to Morocco and met up with a few others who had done the same, travelled with them for a little while. Along the way, we took a trip out to the Sahara and camped out over night. Beautifully clear, starry night, middle of the desert totally surrounded by massive dunes, a little bit to beerchug, and one guy who had been instrumental in aiding my escape from Tangiers brings out these chains, proceeds to set fire to them and spin them around. Might just have been the situation, but I was mesmerised. Too nervous to actually give them a try then and there, but ordered myself a set of poi as soon as i got home, and haven't looked back since!
Haven't seen the guy since, but he deserves a hug for introducing me to such an amazing obsession. Thanks Jim!!

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

menominaimember
3 posts

Posted:
I guess like many other, first saw poi at a festival, and what with me being in sunny england it didnt leave me much choice but glastonbury or reading tongue we were just wondering around at some point in the night and saw flying fire..... lets just say i wasnt in the most sober state in the world and we sat there hypnotised by the flames cheering them on. wow however, i didnt pick up my first poi for about 6months after that, and only practiced a little as i was v v bad and no-one around could teach me frown then i went to uni and there was a whole club set up for pl like me!! now i can fire poi along with the best of them devil..... well, maybe not, but i'm gettin there smile but i still remeber the first time i saw it ubblove

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
my mums boyfriend did it. He is really good, and I thought wow I wanna learn! So he taught me! Big thankx to him!

Been doing it ever since....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

über sealThe Official London juggling über spy. shh! dont tell any one
419 posts

Posted:
I started working in a juggle shop in london and they asked me what I could do.
I showed them my Ball juggle skills my diadolo skills and what I could do with some contact balls.

then I was asked what I could do with POI. confused

I picked up a pair and got all tied up in a right mess. redface

told me I would have to to get better at that.

ubbidea So I went to brixton juggle club that night and asked a girl called Rakiya to show me how to do poi.

it took me 20 mins but in the end I had forwards and backwards weave sorted.

ubbloco

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
saw a guy doing it at a 21st, thought 'hey, that looks pretty damn awesome', talked a bit, he invited me to another party, he spun there, me and a friend of mine said 'hey, could you tach us that?', we spent about 4 hours that night taking it in turns with only one set of poi b/w 3 ppl, something like this:

H:'ok, you go over, under, then across'
M:'like this?' tangle/thwack/mess
H:'no, kinda like this'
M:'ohh, i think i got it now'
H:'no, thats 2 beat, not three beat. you wanna go like this'
M:'ooooohhhh, that feels tooo much more awesome. now how do you do that other one?'

I've been hooked ever since biggrin

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I got it all through corky
Long story short hannah found out about it from circus, then she was telling me about it, then there was a show on at a local park with fire poi. I was hooked ever since smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I got it by being dragged to my uni's juggling society's fire night. saw people spinning different stuff, poi, staff, devilsticks, swords, and breathing....I was blown away, and when one of the guys asked who wanted to learn, guess who got pushed forwards. Been doin it since

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
my best friend spun glow and i just found it so beautiful to watch. he started teaching me the basics and it just went from there.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ShyFyshBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I was searching for a fan website for Gigi Edgley because she is on my favorite show Farscape. In her bio she listed fire spinning as one of her skills. I did a search and ended up here. I have practice poi, fire poi, fire staff and glow poi all because I am such a scifi geek. redface

In the Eyes of the Goddess...All are Equal, All are Worthy ~Pa'u Zotah Zhaan

I honor the Divine within ~Rev Bem

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
I amazingly wasn't entirely fussed about fire the first time i saw it, which was in Fremantle where some people were busking doing fire twirling. My housemate was tho, and when they invited us down to the beach to practice, he went, and i never did. 6 months later, i went down every couple of weeks to watch and mostly talk to people, 6 months later i picked up some poi..... eventually after randomly playing with other people gear i learnt some things - And it wasn't until i learnt some moves, picked up some fire poi, lit them and had my first burn that i was hooked ubblove

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Someone showed me a video of themselves spinning. This person is quite the performer and when I saw it the grace and elegance of it made me say 'I have to do that'. I still consider that person the most watchable performer I know. Natural stage presence is what it is I think.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Very very first? No fire? Three words.

Polynesian Dance class, 7 years ago.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Mine was through Uni.

The uni that I studied at organise some little courses for students to get to know one another and since I was still reasonably new to the city I thought that getting involved would be a great way to get to know some people.

One of the classes that was organised was Fire Twirling...and though I knew nothing about it I thought it sounded kinda cool (better than learning how to make you own make up) so I signed up.

When I got there and realised what it was we were actually doing I was hooked.

marthaMember
37 posts

Posted:
i was watching my cousin do poi 2 years ago, and she gave me and my brother a try. i was not very good and got them in to a tangle, however my bro was able to spin better.
At christmas i opened my present from my gran, and guess what she had bought me some poi.
1 and a 1/2 years on and look whos the better one.
i've been spinning at school festivals where i have alot of people ask me what i was doing, and alot of friends have wonder what poi is.
And the person to thank is my cousin(thank you cousin)

martha

ill tell you again, just buy a new one.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
the first i did it was when i was in NZ with school. however it wasnt until a few years later (2 years ago!) that my ex bought a staff, and the stall also sold poi, but i didnt have the money...then a year after that i bought my own poi at a market (thought it might be fun, as i had enjoyed it when i was in NZ)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Two years ago, I volunteered for a few months at the Joburg Zoo. About a week into my trip, one of my housemates called me out to the lawn to watch the zoo vet practice his fire poi spinning. Told myself, if there's a new skill I'm bringing home from South Africa... it's got to be that (if only to shock my beloved parents). Four months later, I bought myself a set, asked Steve to teach me, whacked myself black and blue, came home and did a short show. I must say learning how to spin poi has really paid off. Thanks steve!

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Um well a while back.. Dec 01 i met UCOF (Chris and Jon) in a club. They kept on ranting on about poi. And then they taught us some basic moves (me and Justine). Been hooked eversince. ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
two girls with fire and drums at a great party, one of the girls Aly does some work with my dad and she lent me art of poi and i made my own practice poi and taught myelf the basics, im so excited because im going to get to spin fire with Aly in a few months.......peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Glasto 03, there was a chap poiing fire by the workers beer tent on Butts Green in front of the big dance stage in the corner that apparently made far too much noise and was banned from going this year. He was SPECTACULAR. Had been fire juggling, eating and breathing for a few years but thought the poi was amazing. Made some when i got home n never looked back. Oh, apart from when two weeks later i set my back on fire on the banks of the Firth in Scotland just before T in the park!

It's smashing to be back x

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
I went to a place near where i live called ARKSDEN one of my boyfriend Carls mates ...i had seen fire spinning before but this bloke DAVE was doing it i had a go and was hooked he gave me this practice metal pole staff that he practices with i still have it to this day.....i have never seen hm since.

If anyone knows him or if hes a membe of this site PM me just to say wavehello
Cause i wanted to say thanks

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
my mate laura (elasta) started spinning about a year before me but i didn't pay it much attention although i'd always been impressed by fire performers. then i spent a summer working on a campsite in france and another friend bought some poi with her so i learnt some to pass the time, got hooked and started learning off of laura when she came out to join us. i'd alway wanted to be able to juggle whch i learnt at the same time and have kept playing since. that was 2 years ago... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
I was in Brighton with my boyfriend, who at that time I'd only been going out with for a week. He had some fire chains and fabric poi, and I remember just picking up the fabrics and spinning them slowly round. Within weeks I was spinning weaves, halos, butterflies and reverse synchronised low waves etc etc and I'm here now hehe. That was about 3 months ago biggrin

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

Page: ...