FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I feel that I'm ready to start shortening my chains while I am spinning but instead of finger loops I have biker gloves connected to my chains. Would this make it more difficult to shorten the chains while they're spinning? If so, then I need to replace the gloves with better handles. Any advice on the best handles for this?

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
So, you have your chains attached directly to a pair of gloves? And do you wear these gloves or just hold them? Thats quite odd (no offense smile ). Ive never seen anyone with this set up before so I cant tell you how easy/hard it would be to shorten the chains with them but I dont really see why it would. Best handles would be any kind of finger looped ones, I prefer double but its only a matter of preferance.

Best ways to shorten your chains that Ive found is to:

A) Separate your hands a bit while doing a reverse butterfly and let them wrap around your hands.
B) Spin reverse circles at your sides and let them wrap around your hands.
C) Do a separation on each side allowing one chain to wrap around its hand per side (IE - From forward weave, do one beat of a separation on the left side letting your right poi wrap, then go to the right side and repeat wrapping the left hand).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I wanted to have a go at attaching poi to the finger tips of gloves. I reckon it could be amazing. Imagine being able to gesture the direction of your poi with open hands and the no elbow 7 could be a real poisability. Real grace, flow and control....thows are out the window.

You should have no problem shortening your chains. A really nice way of doing it that doesn't get mentioned too much is from buzzsaw to point your hands in towards each other. If they are long then you may do one beat per hand at a time with the chain passing the other side of your body until they are short enough but then you can do it while buzzsawing. biggrin

As Icon mentions when swinging backwards (butterfly or waeave you can wrap around your hands) while the poi are on their own side of the body (ie right poi right hand side) AND while swinging forwards you can wrap them around while they are on the opposite side of the body ie right poi on LHS of the body. This can be done every beat in weaves with practise.

and obviously the exact opposite for the above 2 for unwraping or making it longer... smile
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1087902157)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I took scissors, poked two holes in the biker gloves and threaded the keyring my chains are attached to through them. It actually works very well because I can let go of the chains and spin them open-handed. I played around with them last night and I actually got them to shorten while I was spinning.
I used to have finger loops but I would get blisters on my fingers so I switched to gloves and that eliminated the problem.
I think I need to brush up on the terminology of the moves because I am really only familiar with the butterfly and the nose burner. I can do a lot of stuff I just don't know what it's called.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, first off, round here we call the "nose burner" a buzzsaw. smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Aha! Thanks. After I left this forum I went to the online instruction guide on this site to brush up a bit. So what is the no elbow 7, that one wasn't mentioned in the instruction guide.
I'm getting the hang of that nose burner, er buzzsaw, since I've been able to shorten the chains.

By the way I love your quote at the bottom of your post. Tool is one of the most amazing bands of all time. I am psyched about their new album coming out.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Tool is the shiznit. Get lots of compliments for that quote hehe. Didnt know they were coming out with a new album, Im psyched too now bounce

offtopic

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A no elbow 7 is a 7 beat weave done without your elbows wrapping around each other.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Ah, interesting. Yes, Tool is expected to release their new album in the fall of 2005 I think. I can not wait!! I just recently saw Perfect Circle in concert, very cool!