Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
With the upcoming of throwing and one-handed moves a category that hasnt been mentioned so far is becoming more important: How to hold the Poi.
You can change the grip while passing the poi, with different catches and during playing. But this is a topic of its own.

The 4 basic variations:

Classic: Fingerloop around the index/middle finger is the most common. The essence is that the Chain is going in the direction of the back hand.

Inverse (Palm-spinning): Again many different variations. Try to put the handle around the middle and ring-finger with the chain going in the direction of the palm. wave to the crazy couple

Fistgrip: Take the handle in the fist and hold the string between Thumb and index-finger. This one is normally used for Buzzsaws

Joystick-style: Holding the handle in the fist and the chain comes out at the pinky-finger end. Quite nice for BHB Buzzsaws etc. and everyone who had an amiga knows why I called it this way . . .

Some of you might say now: But it does not look different when you hold the Handle differently. . .
And my standard answer is: But it gives you a different feeling and offers additional possibilities !

wink

cheers

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
smile

looks just like a list of the grips used in clubs...ala Schatz circa 1900.

Good to see poi is finally catching up wink

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
They had Amigas Around 1900 ? I knew Jugglers are a secret society !

Any recommendations/experiences for a non Juggler ?

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
Does anyone use a ball grip for poi? Like spinning clubs have a ball at the end, maybe just a ball and put the cord/chain between index and middle?

This is just my brain thinking about grips that would make it easier to move the grips around while spinning.

Ben

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
erm well in terms of grips, It sounds like your on the right track.

I was talking about swinging clubs tho, not juggling (although the two cross over in a very beautiful way).

and CTpoiboy, yeah some ppl do use a ball as a grip - makes catching throws and stuff really easy.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
CTpoiboy, I have rings for handles that I used to use.. nice for throws. But yes, I've been kicking around the idea of some balls for poi handles.. those would be interesting.. they would act as a nice counterweight for throws and stuff. The only things about the rings are that if you stuff up a throw or something, you have a 4" ring coming toward your head, or worse..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
On my fire poi I have standard HOP handles but I've been playing with [Old link] biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.