PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
...last night. I thought it would be fun, and that my son would like it. More than ever I want to get a grant and start my own. I have *never* seen a live show so bad...and to boot...the contortionist literally stole all parts of her routine (music and progression of moves) from Cirque Du Soliel's Dralion. I was shocked, more because they requested that there be no video equipment used because it was a "copyrighted" show. I think it was so they wouldn't have proof they were infringing on intellectual propery laws!
Anyway, it was fun in an MST3K kind of way, watching the animals disobey and the juggler drop all over the place was funny. Though there was one really talented family who did not deserve to be there, but oh well. I just had to share as I thought it strange that people would feel so confident about presenting such crap.
Hmmm...just goes to prove that not everyone is as perfection crazy as some of us!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Pele, I'm going to the circus next week, when it comes to town. Yeah, I'm skeptical, but I hope it turns out well.

Starting your own circus might not be a bad idea. It seems to me that, at least in Australia, a lot of the better performers have started their own troupes, sans Gov grants I might add.

Anyhow, the best troupe I've seen lately were the Happy Sideshow . They are really into what do and even though you cringe during their contortionist, sword swallowing and andle grinder routines, these guys are still making you laugh. Check em out if they make it to the States

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I love the circus! Was so sad I could not afford to see Cirque Du Soleil when they were here. Tried to organize some of my friends into the Sin City Traveling Circus, but it never actually materialized. Too bad because I know a bunch of freaky people. One party that I was at had a talent show theme and it was more of a strip/freak show than anything else. Oh well.
Pele, if you ever get a circus together, I'll be in it.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I actually stopped going to the circus after someone (rightfully) pointed out to me how badly the animals are abused.

However, I will go to all-human circuses, like the Moscow Circus and Cirque du Soleil and stuff like that.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
not everyone is as perfection crazy as some of us!
perfection crazy? well ya right about the crazy bit, dunno about the perfection!
some here are perfectly mad.
I wanted to join the circus, but a) i wasn't bearded and b) i wasn't a lady. I wonder which one I should work on first.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bender_the_Offendër:
[QUOTE]
I wanted to join the circus, but a) i wasn't bearded and b) i wasn't a lady. I wonder which one I should work on first.

Rubber joints, then fat, then beard, then lady.

Sure, all circuses have a fat man, a rubber man, and a bearded lady, but how many of them have fat, rubber, bearded, transsexual ladies?

You could be famous, Bender! And then we'd say "And we knew him...er....her back when..."

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Too many mental visuals went with that one, Mike!

I am picturing a bearded fat guy with boobs and a beard bending backwards in leopard print skivvies! *gag* No thank you!

Alot of circus acts do not treat their animals badly, thanks to PETA and ASPCA involvement. You can actually see the difference in the animals, whether they want to be there or don't, you know?

I actually would love to do a Victorean style, kind of Poe themed circus. Much fun and many angles. I have a list of ideas, now it is hashing them through! Thanks for the support though!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
Pele,
Maybe you should kidnapp the one talented family in the circus and keep them for your own! If this circus can steal their acts I see no reason why you shouldn't steal the actors!

Life is serious, but art is fun!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(re the bad circus) I guess we all have to start somewhere...I find it interesting that the juggler was dropping lots.

Maybe they all have dayjobs or something as well, or other money spinners on the side. If not then it doesn't take long when you have a lot of practice time aside to perfect a single act. Even an hour a day everyday of juggling and most people would be ready for a performance in a week or two, less if you already knew how to juggle.

That aside, we all have to start somewhere, and while my idea of where to start when I wasn't good enough certainly isn't a circus with a paying audience.

I'll bet they will improve at a fantastic rate!!!!

:-)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
once i was in a freque show at summer school - on stage as the 'rubber man' with a ...tennis racket. and before your dirty mind gets to work, i must say that the show was for kids.

I think what charles sees is that as fire performers we all have too high an expectation on what we know. A good example are movie special fx - models vs. computer generated models; being used to CG, we laugh our asses off at the original Godzilla, even though it's out of our expertise. 'cept for Arsn, he'd do it.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i recently when to see a similar circus to circe du solei. right here in town. and the living statues in it took some moves from circe du solei's quidam. but it was sweet. what i would love most is to have some long fabric to twist myself in. i'm determined to have it all set up in my backyard when i own and house in the woods. i collect all the circe du solei's . i have 4 so far and i have seen most on tv. n8 and i will be making it to La Nouba in Disney on our honeymoon. can't wait. if anyone is part of a circus and need another memeber ....please please please contact me!!!!!

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
a troupe i was with last year actually a family of clowns and i put on pretty bad shows in miami and made pretty good $ doing so some were better than others but we had a blast didn't charge admission but had clowns who worked the hats! people were amused traveling last year though with the family i learned of all kinds of freaky circuses like the end of the world circus and bendlestiff family circus haven't caught a show yet but look for them in towns near you

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ther's more! i know a bunch of the end of the world circus guys, and some of the bindlestiffs! FREAKS!there's also the circus of tiny invisibility (my favorite!), the circus ridiculous, the surreal circus, us(tantien fiery tale circus), the mystic family circus, there's even a punk rock bicycle circus! mored'n yu kin shake a stickat...freaks, every one...there's some really cool underground circus stuff happenin. i'm even talking to a girl who's writing a book about us all. keep your eyes peeled for those weird flyers! we're everywhere!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
To take the 'perfection' out of my performance, I like to get well and truly drunk. I can then stagger around, dropping stuff and falling over to my heart's content.

Why not give it a go? Just visit your local booze store, order some spirits and some beer (needed for the alcohol to breach the stomach lining quickly), drink it, and there you go... instant imperfecion.

If you can get some 'Comedy Drunken Brummies(TM)' to join in, you've got a complete recipe for imperfection.

primate