Forums > Social Chat > Fire Troupe Naming Woes

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Recently, Ive joined a group of spinners based in Philly and we're in the beginning stages of creating an actual troupe. We have a fire eater/breather/juggler/magician guy, a belly dancer/fire fans girl, a few poisters including myself and I am now getting into doubles. We have a pretty good spread of artists.

Anyway, we've lately been talking a lot about our troupe name and arent getting too far. Lots of names with synonymns of fire are pouring out of people's mouths and its just pointless IMO. There is one really good name with some history behind it and most of us like it with one or two exceptions.

We've been gathering in a park near the Philadelphia Art Museum and used to spin fire at night until one day the police came and shut us down. We talked to the chief fire marshal of Philadelphia and he declared us an "Attractive Nuisance" telling us that we couldnt spin fire publicly in Philly anywhere. Naturally, we felt this was a great name for our troupe.

As I said, though, there are one or two exceptions who think the name "Attractive Nuisance" could have negative implications and bring a bad reputation.

What do all of you guys think? Any other possible suggestions?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hmm...you might be right about the negative implications with 'attractive nuisance'...but i still like it! smile

why not just try the jedi mind trick and bring the skeptics (sp?) around to the historical name the rest of you like?

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I like it....but I am easily pleased wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea why not. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ubblol attractive nuisance. that's an awesome name.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The only good thing about having a totally boring fire synonym is that it also acts as advertizing for your gigs. You gotta remember that your name is going to be in very small letters on club flyers and you don't want to get lost in the shuffle of DJs and Promoters.

I would definitely chose something fire related. Boring and overdone, yes, but effective.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
I shall resuscitate this thread for selfish purposes. It's the right topic though.

The group that I usually spin with is affiliated with the University in town, and has always simply been called "Poi Club." Finally the members are getting tired of such a boring name for such a fun club. (I think it started when we visited a nearby college to spin with their group, called Weapons of Mass Distraction).

I thought I had a great idea to play off of Fahrenheit 451, I thought the burning point of white gas would make a good number... but the flash point is like -15 degrees so that doesn't sound good.

Anything you've come across that you said "hey, that'd be a good name for a group" ? Maybe you thought it'd be a good name for a band... that's a start. I'll talk to them and see what names they'd come up with, I'll post them for your criticism and creativity.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Not "firestorm." That's mine. I'm reserving it. mad

wink

How about "Flambé"?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
hahah i like flambe

I've always been partial to Kerosene Nights (or Knights)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Thats funny coz I'm Blackknight Fire Productions

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
"Burned? NAH that is barley a first degree"

"I can see your BONE!"

"No you cant"

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Heehee, when my friend and I were asked to join a troupe, our leader, the honourable Mr_JedLy/Dragkhyre already had a name but we were so enthused we started brainstorming... And We kept brainstorming for around two weeks, until Jed already had registered the name, got a website etc etc. (www.firenmotion.com if you're interested :P)

But we still came up with millions. I think the fire/fyre/burn/pyro/paero/flame/flaem etc etc we went through...
I was intent on some historical/mythical meaning (infact my poi got named within the first week of having them Aithne - gaelic for fire and the sai I recieved from my friends already had names engraved in their handles...) so Prometheus and Hephaseus got bandied around some.

One downside was that whenever we thought of a great one, we'd google it and already find a fire troupe with that name. And then we had to think hard about whether you're allowed to do that and hmmm...

My favourite was Pyromantics.
Pyro - fire
Romantic - awwwww. :P
antics!

I think it came from Macromantics - the band a lot...

But then upon googling it we found it actually had meaning!

Pyromancy - The magical power of conjuring or controlling fire.
Sounds pretty awesome!
Though upon gogling now, there seems to be a band with that name, though no fire troupe that I can find.

Though I guess most people are giving you names then saying "IT'S MINE, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!"

Another one my friend is keeping (it's funny, within our troupe we're 'bagsing' all these names though hopefully we'll never part!)

Burning sensation - which entertains the medical student in me greatly.. biggrin

I also like pyraemia - as in we have FIRE in our BLOOD.
but it's a bit like pyaemia which means pus in the blood.. blergh.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

Not "firestorm." That's mine. I'm reserving it. mad

wink

How about "Flambé"?

Sorry Doc love, these are both taken...in lots of variations and spellings.

If I hadn't named my company over a decade ago, I wouldn't have named it anything with "Pyro" or a reference to fire in it at all. I find it's extremely limiting, especially since over time I've branched out away from fire. I've had to redefine what the name means over time and as it's evolved.

Just something to concider. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
ubblol
Burning Sensation! I love it!
Pyraemia I like too... though I'd probably tweak it a little, if for nothing else but to keep it away from the pus in blood thing. Ew.
I'm really interested in names not directly rooted in fire, like Pele said. Wordplay is always fun. I haven't had a lot of luck looking to other languages (though I'm also looking some for a solo stage name of sorts for myself, and that's led me to other languages).
Thank you all so much for the input so far. I don't really mind the "here's my idea but it's my idea don't use it," because it still helps me with brainstorming.

Aiden SoraSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I looked online and an attractive nuisance is geared towards land owners who have something dangerous on their property that might attract children. So you were given a bogus reason to keep you from flowing.

Tu Wahinenewbie
39 posts

Posted:
Mura: be glowing, ablaze, alight, blazing, burning, on fire.
Maori language

Siva Afi (Fire Dance) Samoan language, siva is the word for dance
EDITED_BY: Tu Wahine (1330633881)

Nui atu te mihi ki nga mahi o te po, nga waiata, nga poi, me nga haka taparahi.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
call it hot pants and put all the men in tiny little shorts wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Man_in_the_maskBRONZE Member
specializes in the potentially insane
130 posts

Posted:
challenge accepted?

"We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin..."