Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I really dont know anything about this art form and maybe this belongs in the Tech area but none the less, can someone jot down some more info for me?

What I really want to do is light my poi using a ball of fire sitting in the palm of my hand! I think that would be soo neat. Ohh and just in case you cant tell I just started doing fire thanks to Pozee and I am all pumped up about it. He has done gone and made a monster out of me hehe. I wish I had found this all out when I was young like Kinduin, that kid is just crazy. He knows his stuff, and Pozee dude I am still just shoked I really cant say anything and to me stunned silence is the best compliment. I am still stunned at what you did and what the others did, and the fact that I didnt even burn myself!!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey phule,
you can probably find some pretty good info if you search a bit. but i know that my friend uses rubbing alcohol because it burns at a lower temperature? (not 100% on that) with my staff, i light one end and then rub my hand on that end and some of the fuel gets on my hand and then i light the other end with it. but white gas is very hot. so you have to be kind of quick about it. anyways, congrats on poppin the cherry...

anyone got a light?

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've never been too good at the transfers, but I think that's because I use white gas, which burns up too quickly, and because I always shake off really throughly before performing, leaving little excess to get on my hand.

Rubbing alcohol does burn at a low temperture. You won't get burnt by it, but I've found that because my palms are thick and have some mosture on them already, it's hard to burn them, even with the white gas. The advantage to the lower temperature fuels is that they burn slow, which is better than the white gas cuz mine always burns out before I can light up my torch with it.

If you're darring, and you want a BALL of fire, I figure you could dunk some cotton in parifin/rubbing alcohol, and just drop it in a bucket, or stamp it out after you light up.

Parifin also burns at a lower temp than white gas, but hotter than rubbing alcohol.

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well I will have to try the rubbing alcohol thing sometime soon. What all do you do to put it out? Just shake your hand around as if its on fire or something? Any hoo I really want to get as much flame time in as possible so I can put on a good show for my friends back home when I go on leave. Thanks for the info folks.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Are you thinking about the fire bowls or something in that general area? Or actually setting your hand on fire.

2,905 posts

Posted:
What I want to do is the good ole DBZ looking fireball just sitting in my hand then lighting the poi with it. I think it would be cool. Then again I dont know anything about fire bowls soo tell me more bud.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
another DBZ fan! woot! call your move the 'Kamehameha' (a hawaiian king's name) and destroy half the world with one move!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Hey DBZ fans! yeah!

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah dude, my life's like this one big alternative to 'growing up'
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
wow, my iq just dropped about 20 points just watching that.

6,978 posts

Posted:
dude! the frikin' confrontation scenes take like a whole week of episodes (we have on during the morning when i should be preparing fer work!)
damn teases

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
I love DBZ too, but I am also really interested in these fire bowls. I hear they can not curve in on the top, but what fuel to use and is this same as the bowls used on the palms for the belly dancing with fire? I am also thinking the white fuel is bad for transfers, I could only hold a fire ball for moments and the run up the leg and the arm seemed to start burning me very quickly, but then again I do have a low pain threshold so that could be it.
Molly

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Raymund,
Transfers are a whole different beast. Different fuels (I use whitegas) and whatnot. The only problem with the trick you're describing is that you'd have to use whitegas (or similarly dangerous for poi) fuel on your poi wicks to get them to light from just touching it with a flame for a second. Lamp oil, for example, would never light fast enough to hold a transfer under it. I'd use transfering wicks (fire eating wands) to do all transfers and then light the poi from the transfer wicks.

(Apologies for getting back on topic)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well if I can get more info on fire bowls it would be great, but none the less... I tried transfers on saturday. I used white gas the colman stuff that Pozee introduced me to. I have no hair on my fingers but you dont need that anyway hehe. It was an interesting experiance hehe. I have never been on fire before hehe. Ohh I was spinning at a party for my NCOIC's birthday and I had my first flame up hehe. I set my jeans on fire, it went out real fast but none the less it was an experiance hehe. I also learned to keep my poi away from my drunk co-workers one torched the hair on his chest and arm hehe. I just about beat him to death patting him out hehe. None the less fun was had by all.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, here we go...
first you can increase your skin's fire tolerance over time by urinating on it. it's an old east indian trick. (but i don't go there, i just have fun burning myself)
second if the rubbing alcohol is still too hot, try thinning it with water. you can actually put a lot in and it will still burn, but the flame will be wimpy!
third coleman is indeed what most people use. just get your tolerance up, and it will stay there for a long time. just close your hand if it gets too hot, or dance in a way that your hands come together frequently, and you can put it out quick-like!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I would imagine that water would make a fire sizzle and stuff, maybe creating steam burns... Does it not do that??? (I'm not being a smart arss I'm just asking genuinely, coz I don't know )

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*